Thread: Holy crap this Dan Deacon NPR Tiny Desk performance

Holy crap this Dan Deacon NPR Tiny Desk performance

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you like it or not? Not for me - never heard of him, either.

The guy is brilliant. Why would I post something I didn't like?

Love Dan Deacon.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    His write-up on Wikipedia is pretty interesting. Somehow I didn't guess he was from New York.

Listen to this and let it blow your fucking head apart:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Anyone else discover Deacon when this went viral around 4 or 5 years ago, and everyone thought it was a recording of a tripping dude locked in a closet made by his friends?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The guy is brilliant. Why would I post something I didn't like?
    If you think this offensive derivative loop-based guy is "brilliant" I would suggest you get out more.

Look up "John Somebody" by Scott Johnson if you really want your mind blown. Look up "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson. Look up "Flee Pasts Ape Elf" by Orchid Spangiofora.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    If you think this offensive derivative loop-based guy is "brilliant" I would suggest you get out more.
    Honestly? Fuck off.

(to be clear, I'm not offended that you don't like something I and several others in this thread like. I'm just done with the condescending crap around here.)

I just checked out "John Somebody" by Scott Johnson. My mind was not blown. I found this track to be irritating as hell.

Honestly? Fuck off.
    Very mature and helpful, thanks a lot.

Just to be clear, I'm not offended you like something I don't like. I just think it sounds pretty derivative of stuff done when this guy was a baby.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I guess as far as music that's performed by pressing an On switch goes, it wouldn't send me fleeing for the exit as fast as some might, but I must have missed the holy crap part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess as far as music that's performed by pressing an On switch goes, it wouldn't send me fleeing for the exit as fast as some might, but I must have missed the holy crap part.
    If you know your jazz, and I think you do, THAT drummer is worth watching 100 out of a 100 times. Lanois isn't too shabby either - when he's playing guitar or co-producing THE 3 best U2 albums.

There was a drummer?

There was a drummer?
    He posted this vid on the main board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUnUv_395vY

I mistakenly assumed that he posted the same one here. Sorry about that. Anyway, this one should be more worthy.

Really Dave? In your mind, he just pushed an on switch and the music magically appeared out of nowhere from some music machine?

If you took no joy in the performance and the good time everyone in the video was clearly having, no worries.

But really? The music required nothing but pushing an "on button?" I think you know better than that.

Here he is building something from scratch. No pre-recorded loops, no "on buttons."

I like his Beach Boys shirt.

"Knob twiddling" is a whole genre unto itself and I guess this guy can do it as much as he wants. He doesn't have to be THE FIRST to do what he does, just as tribute bands and copy bands can make an honest living copying other musicians. (If you've never heard of Yes, Starcastle seems much more impressive!)

If you like his stuff though, you OWE it to yourself to check out his spiritual predecessors. I'd start out with Morton Subotnick, Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Company (and David Borden solo), Douglas Leedy, Jean-Baptiste Barriere, Tod Dockstader, Hugh LeCaine, Michel Waisvisz, Claude Schryer, Bengt Emil Johnson, and many many others -- many of whom were doing similar work 40 years before Deacon was born.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-24-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Here he is building something from scratch. No pre-recorded loops, no "on buttons."
    That was better, although in the first 10 seconds I was checking to see if I had accidentally yanked my headphone amp plug out of the jack again.

I just want to respond quickly to this point. Yes, some electronic music is presented in a live situation by hitting an "on" button, or "run" or "play." The work is in programming it all ahead-of-time, like rehearsing the band.

In fact, these days there's a lot more "hitting play" in live performances than "rehearsing the band," for almost ALL styles of music.

Holy crap,

Holy crap,
    Indeed. You can bet there's not a lot of improvisation in Orchestrion's performances.