Thread: Marillion at the Regency, SF tonight. Who's going?

Marillion at the Regency, SF tonight. Who's going?

Marillion begins their NA tour in San Francisco tonight at the Regency. I'll be there. Who else?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not me, but Rothery's been posting a lot of photos of the SF Bay on his Facebook page. Have a great time!

I hope everyone has a great evening!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I hope everyone has a great evening!
    Ditto.

Wish I could be there, but I live on the opposite side of the continent.

I should but my live music budget is tapped out. Just recently saw Syd Arthur and have a couple Yoshi's shows coming up. I hope the turnout is good and everyone has a great time!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Really wanted to go up to San Francisco tonight but I just can't justify it financially in terms of lost hours at work (I don't get paid for time off yet) + flight + the insane cost of staying anywhere near the city itself + booze at the show.

Going to tomorrow's show in Beverly Hills, here's the venue:

s.jpg

I'm going to sit in the last row of the balcony, should be fantastic. Dear Marillion: Please please please do The Last Century For Man. Please?
    ...or you could love

I'll be there.

I have a ritual before shows at the Regency where I grab food and a couple of pints at Tommy's Joynt right down the street (1101 Geary). Its a San Francisco institution dive bar (that was featured in Diners, Drive-In's and Dives). I'll be there...perhaps some of you will as well?

I'll be there in the balcony. Really looking forward to it since I missed them last time

Just go to back solid show.

Spoilers
    Good but kinda safe setlist they played 3 new songs which were the ones I was expecting then pretty standard set of great newer(oldest song was king) marillion songs. Pretty happy with my first marillion show despite one fairly annoying fellow who didn't know how to control his body...

How was John Wesley?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    I have a ritual before shows at the Regency where I grab food and a couple of pints at Tommy's Joynt right down the street (1101 Geary). Its a San Francisco institution dive bar (that was featured in Diners, Drive-In's and Dives). I'll be there...perhaps some of you will as well?
    Tommy's Joint was Metallica's hang out before they made it. They had their band meetings there.

Setlist from last night:

The Invisible Man
    Power
    Sounds That Can't Be Made
    Living in Fear
    Fantastic Place
    The New Kings
    Man of a Thousand Faces
    King
    Neverland
    El Dorado

This Strange Engine

A solid two hour show, I'd replace El Dorado with The Leavers and put something else in the ballad slot that Fantastic Place occupies, but I'd be happy to hear that show tonight.
    ...or you could love

I wonder how many songs were rehearsed for the tour, and how different the set lists from show to show will be? The only song I don't care for is Fantastic Place. Can't wait for PA show!

Huh. That looks like a short set list but considering each song is like a mini-epic it's not that hard to see how they can get a 2-hour show out of it. Interesting that the oldest song is like, what... mid 90s?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Huh. That looks like a short set list but considering each song is like a mini-epic it's not that hard to see how they can get a 2-hour show out of it. Interesting that the oldest song is like, what... mid 90s?
    My exact thoughts, Paul. I'd be happy with that, but I would like to see them mix it up some, with some older stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd love it if Marillion never played another Fish-era song ever again. They're touring behind an album they strongly believe in, not that far-fetched that they'd concentrate on newer stuff. Setlist from the Saban, only one change:

The Invisible Man
    Power
    Sounds That Can't Be Made
    Living in Fear
    Sugar Mice
    The New Kings
    Man of a Thousand Faces
    King
    Neverland
    El Dorado

This Strange Engine

Apart from Sugar Mice, which I loathe with the fire of all the suns in the Orion Nebula and which I used as a bathroom break song, a very solid show. Loved the new stuff and This Strange Engine is one of my very favorite Marillion songs, nice to hear that live again.
    ...or you could love

Based on the comments from H (from the stage last night) regarding complaints they received on Facebook, etc. about NOT playing any "older" (Fish-era) material in SF the night before...and based on the audience reaction to "Sugar Mice" before and after they played it...I would say you are in a very small group of folks who don't like the band's choice of set-list change. I for one loved hearing it!!! I applaud the band for listening to what their fans want and making it happen!!

BTW...I hope you didn't piss on your shoes during your "bathroom break"...LOL!!!

Not a huge Marillion fan, but if I had the money, I would have gone just for John Wesley.

As for Tommy's Joynt, it's a great preshow gathering place for the Regency. I actually don't care much for the Regency, by the way. The balcony seats are moldy and/or broken. Sometimes, a fan has no choice.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

while I am not a huge fantastic place fan I do think I prefer what we got in SF to swapping it for sugar mice not a big fan of that one think I coulda gone for Garden Party though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    I actually don't care much for the Regency, by the way. The balcony seats are moldy and/or broken. Sometimes, a fan has no choice.
    The Regency must be a better deal for these bands than the Great American Music Hall which is just a few blocks away. The Regency probably fits more peeps, but c'mon... only Lagunitas on tap?

Only Lagunitas is a good problem to have, I make a similar comment when local venues only have Jai Alai which is really a great beer. We're all starting to get spoiled for beer choices.

Yes, I'm in a very small minority of fans who never want to hear a Fish-era song again, I've given up hope that they'll stop doing that stuff. What bugs me is they want it both ways: they're sick of people still pining for era that ended almost 30 years ago, but there's a bit of cynicism involved as they know if they announced "Right, no more Fish-era stuff live, ever", they'd lose a chunk of their fanbase for good.

The Saban was too big a place for them. It was only half-full, if that. Unfortunately, the place they played on their last two stops here in Los Angeles doesn't exist any more. The House of Blues on Sunset was closed down, that's more their level (ca. 1000 capacity). The Saban also has a few issues: no elevator to the second floor balcony section, not ideal for someone like me that has the knees of a 120 year old. Also, the beer selection was appalling, all flavored water stuff like Corona. The bartenders were embarrassed that they didn't have a better selection, but one of them was nice enough to comp me a gin & tonic to make up for it.
    ...or you could love

The show in Chicago on 10/27 had a few changes to the setlist:

The Invisible Man
    Power
    Fantastic Place
    Living in F E A R
    Goodbye To All That a) Wave b) Mad
    Afraid of Sunlight
    The New Kings
    Quartz
    Neverland
    El Dorado

Easter
    Three Minute Boy (with extended ad libbed, humorous intro verses)

Nice, I'd like to hear that show......
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Yes, I'm in a very small minority of fans who never want to hear a Fish-era song again, I've given up hope that they'll stop doing that stuff. What bugs me is they want it both ways: they're sick of people still pining for era that ended almost 30 years ago, but there's a bit of cynicism involved as they know if they announced "Right, no more Fish-era stuff live, ever", they'd lose a chunk of their fanbase for good.
    I'm with you on this. If you're going to play Fish stuff, just let the crowd sing it. The guy's been gone for nearly 30 years. Hell, at this point, Fish should give up the Marillion stuff too.

I think both Fish and his former band have released some amazing albums over the past decade and I'd much rather hear those songs than to try to capture the lightning in a bottle from yesteryear.

Listen to any live bootleg (official or otherwise) and it becomes obvious that there is no comparison between what was then and what is now.

Even Rush fell into that trap on the last tour although they were trying to do it for the right reasons.