Thread: PROGRESSION MAGAZINE ISSUE No. 70 IS NOW AVAILABLE!

PROGRESSION MAGAZINE ISSUE No. 70 IS NOW AVAILABLE!

Progression magazine issue No. 70 has been mailed to all domestic and international subscribers, and now is available for single-issue ordering. Featured in this information-packed 104-page issue:

* More than 100 CD and album reviews *

Papadosio (cover story) – in-depth article on one of America’s top touring acts, long associated with the jam-band scene, which self-identifies as a progressive rock group. Says keyboardist/guitarist Sam Brouse, “Lots of bands that improvise onstage aren’t labeled jam bands, you know? I feel we are a progressive rock band; the songs we write definitely are progressive rock. Even our improvs, or jams so to speak, occur in that structural context.”

Carl Palmer – in-depth interview with the legendary drummer about carrying on the Emerson, Lake & Palmer musical legacy and the passing of longtime mate Keith Emerson. Says Palmer, “I’ve stolen everything, throughout my life. The best things I play have been stolen and I just play them better. I’ve always wanted to be a drummer; I’ve never wanted to be anything else.”

Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman (ARW) – article including interviews with Yes alumni Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman on joining forces to tour and create new music. Says Wakeman, “You always think Yes and the band’s classic members will live forever. Suddenly, mortality steps in and goes, ‘I’m afraid that isn’t the case.’ It’s all very well talking about things you want to do, but you’ve got to do them! We all felt very much the same way. Jon and I talked about it. Trev came over to see me and we went, ‘Right, this is it.’ We felt it was not just something we wanted to do, but that it was important to do.”

Kansas – article on classic group’s reemergence as a creative entity with new album The Prelude Implicit, including interviews with guitarist Rich Williams and lead singer Ronnie Platt. Says Williams, “The goal was we wanted to create the quintessential Kansas record. Something new, but with total respect to the legacy of who we are and who we’ve always been. We’re not going to reinvent ourselves to be something else.”

The Pineapple Thief – interview with group leader Bruce Soord about the return to progressive roots on new album Your Wilderness. Says Soord, “I think Your Wilderness is just the beginning of a new phase for The Pineapple Thief, a more progressive phase. Bruce Soord solo will continue being the mellow melancholic acoustic side of me that wants to come out. So it feels really good to have both going at the same time because I've made sense of my musical ego, I think.”

Kevin Kastning – interview with unique acoustic guitarist/inventor whose prolific recording output explores varied stylistic realms from neoclassical to ambient and avant-garde. Says Kastning, “I end up getting airplay on classical stations, new age, jazz and progressive rock shows. In some ways I think it might even be helpful because it appeals to multiple genres.”

Roye Albrighton – remembering the late Nektar legend, including the previously untold behind-the-scenes story of classic album Reccycled shared by group collaborator/electronic keyboard pioneer Larry Fast. Says Fast, “He was just the embodiment of a rock star, this handsome, charismatic, fabulous guitarist. I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved for that. He was a really good songwriter, even stronger when he worked in collaboration with the other guys.”

The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra – interview with genre-bending Midwestern progressive fusion ensemble earning raves for new album Earth Lift. Says bassist/vocalist John Wright, ““Generally, the people that come to our shows just like good music. They are on social media seeking out new music rather than just listening to the radio. Folks like us even if they don’t know what it is we’re doing!”

Victor Peraino – interview with the progressive keyboard pioneer known for his work with flamboyant singer Arthur Brown. Says Peraino, “Fortunately, I kept it together when some people didn’t. But you know, taking drugs – mescaline, mushrooms, acid – and jamming was one of those things that got you into a frame of mind for being different and experimental.”

Erik Norlander – interview with the independent keyboard maestro about his career to date and new solo album, Surreal. Says Norlander, “My music is not robotic. I compose with pencil and paper. I get together with real humans in a room where we play the music, practice, develop and record it. That’s something that may become a lost art with the barrage of technology you have today.”

Theocracy – interview with Matt Smith, singer and creative force behind the veteran U.S.-based symphonic/melodic metal act that enjoys a strong overseas following. Says Smith, “To write a song it has to be something that touches me first. I know that sounds clichéd, but it’s always about something I’m struggling with, something on my mind or maybe something a friend has gone through. That is where the ideas start.”

Rites of Spring Festival, 2016 – in-depth review of the annual progressive music gathering in Gettysburg, Pa.

ProgDay Festival, 2016 – a live report on the latest entry in progressive music’s longest-running festival.

Keith Emerson tribute concert, Los Angeles – live report on multi-artist homage to the late legendary keyboardist.

Keith Emerson tribute concert, Miami – live report on show led by ELP drummer Carl Palmer honoring Emerson’s memory.

Carl Palmer ELP Legacy –
    live report from the recent tour by drummer Carl Palmer’s solo band.

MorseFest – live report on multi-instrumentalist/singer Neal Morse’s annual weekend event, this time featuring his former band Spock’s Beard.

Kaipa re-mastered reissues – overview of the first five albums by Swedish band Kaipa, recently re-mastered and released by German label Tempus Fugit. Includes observations by original guitarist Roine Stolt.

Progression is a full-size print publication that has been covering the progressive music scene since 1992. For more information including instructions on how to order a subscription or back issues, please peruse the web site, www.progressionmag.com. Inquiries also may be directed to Publisher John Collinge via progmagazine@aol.com, and by calling +978-425-5295.
    Last edited by Progression/John; 10-20-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    Progression Magazine, since 1992 the "Bible" of progressive music!
    John Collinge, Publisher
    P.O. Box 485, Shirley, MA 01464 USA
    www.progressionmagazine.com

Editorial: progmagazine@aol.com
    Advertising: progmagads@aol.com
    Circulation: progmagsub@aol.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, this one was done pretty quickly!

Nice! Looking forward to it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Looks like an interesting issue!

That's a hell of a pull quote from the ARW article; looking forward to reading the whole thing!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Sweet, looking forward to it, as usual.

I'll watching the mail box.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Looking Forward to Issue 70. Been loving the new design also. Congrats on keeping the prog flame alive.