Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steppenwolf nominated for Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's the album they were touring. Winwood and Capaldi were the only original members, which is why I think he called them fake. No Dave Mason.
    If the studio album was poor, live, they were firing on all cylinder...

They showed a few kids at Woodsttock 2 how to rock it all out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The fake Deep Purple with Rod Evans sounds OK to me, having played Made in Japan over a hundred times and mishearing the lyrics... some stupid with a ?? ...it was nice to make out the story after all these years. I didn't even miss the guitar solo.

Goldy McJohn used to hang around our band back in the mid-80's He wanted us to fire our keyboardist and have us tour with him as the goldy McJohn band... and do Steppenwolf music. We never took it seriously. For a few years after that, I occasionally would contact him to see how he was doing, and he was always asking If I "had a band" - he didnt have much good to say about John. But he had his own Issues, namely the IRS had taken everything he owned because he never paid taxes on his musical success. He had pretty much squandered any money he had made with the band.

My Favorite Steppenwolf song is definitely Magic Carpet ride. I loved classic Steppenwolf when I was a kid. THey were the coolest band in the world when I was 12-13. I finally took their posters off my wall when my older brothers teased me about being gay for Steppenwolf... Anyway, I would thisnk that John Kay could easily get Goldy back in the band. He is always wanting to be a part of a band. I last talked to him around 2005. Anyway, cover bands with one original member are depressing. Goldy helped me understand that its not good to be young and "make it" in music, then try to maintain the lifestyle of a well known musician for the next 40 years. The biz over time, is not kind to young successes. Hope they make the RRHOF - I dont think there is any money involved, but Goldy can get some recognition for his success. He has nothing else left from that time.

I was thinking about some of the comments about John Kay not looking like he wanted to be there during performances. I wonder if those who felt that way knows that the man is blind.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That's the album they were touring.
    Yes. However, I believe they played only one new song, otherwise it was "Pearly Queen," "Low Spark" and so on. It was an opening set for the Grateful Dead.

I was thinking about some of the comments about John Kay not looking like he wanted to be there during performances. I wonder if those who felt that way knows that the man is blind.
    He's color blind according to Wikipedia, which is legally blind. He's not completely sightless.

He's more than color blind. He has been legally blind since childhood. You should read his autobiography. It's quite good.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

He's more than color blind. He has been legally blind since childhood. You should read his autobiography. It's quite good.
    He can see, though, he's not totally blind.

His book is good and offers a fascinating insight into war torn Germany (and his escape from east to west) as well as the sixties rock scene. Nick St. Nicholas gets short shrift, though. Nowhere is this more evident than in JK's completely off-the-hook and inaccurate account of how he was fired from the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    The fake Deep Purple with Rod Evans sounds OK to me, having played Made in Japan over a hundred times and mishearing the lyrics... some stupid with a ?? ...it was nice to make out the story after all these years. I didn't even miss the guitar solo.
    "flare gun"

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    "flare gun"
    I love how in Made in Japan, on Lazy, when Ian Gillan shrieks at Blackmore to "OH SHUT UP!" when he is noodling around during a verse.

Now back to the discussion...

I also like how in that awful clip, Evans sings 'we' in the opening line...despite the fact none of that band went down to Montreux!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I also like how in that awful clip, Evans sings 'we' in the opening line...despite the fact none of that band went down to Montreux!
    At least Coverdale sang "They all Went"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There are reports of the fake band playing "Just Might Take Your Life" with Evans calling it "a song from 'our' Burn album."