Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Forget Yes - The R&R Hall of Fame Still Hates Prog"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, well Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest should have gotten in before Metallica, and you saw where that went.
    Correct! Have Cream been inducted?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Tull wasn't as popular in the first place.

Henry
    Yes never went to #1 in the U.S., but Tull did twice, with Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play. In the UK, Yes went to #1 twice (TFTO and Going for the One) and Tull made it once (Stand Up). Aqualung was a bigger selling album than any Yes album until 90125. Tull had 16 gold or platinum U.S. albums while Yes had 13 gold or platinum U.S. albums.

Both bands have sold in excess of 60 million albums worldwide, but this seems to be the one of those times when the Crock and Faux Hall of Shame ignores album sales as a measure of success or popularity (like Joan Jett getting in just because she has a pair of tits, or ABBA for selling albums to 12 year olds). Another would be the Moody Blues, who have sold over 70 mllion albums worlwide and are one of the very few bands to have had top ten albums in three different decades (1960s, 1970s and 1980s). It is a f*cking joke.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Anyway, may Yes NEVER get in. I don't want these annual threads to stop. - too much entertainment.
    They’re repetitious, obnoxious and whiny. And I don’t get why anyone cares, the RRHOF is, and always has been, a completely worthless entity. I kind of want an explosive damburst to destroy the entire place and everything in it, ending this stupidity once and for all.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I kind of want an explosive damburst to destroy the entire place and everything in it, ending this stupidity once and for all.
    Well, that would be a real shame. The actual physical structure and its contents are fantastic. It's a great museum.

Well, that would be a real shame. The actual physical structure and its contents are fantastic. It's a great museum.
    Yep. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Tull didn't have the 80s resurgence that Yes had.
    That's arguable. No, they didn't have a really big seller with a number one hit like 90125 but Crest of the knave was probably their biggest album since heavy horses or songs from the wood and it even won them a grammy in 1988 for best hard rock/heavy metal band. That counts as a resurgence imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    They’re repetitious, obnoxious and whiny. And I don’t get why anyone cares, the RRHOF is, and always has been, a completely worthless entity. I kind of want an explosive damburst to destroy the entire place and everything in it, ending this stupidity once and for all.
    I still think there should be a credible alternative for progressive music fans. A place where Yes, Marillion, IQ and Camel can be appreciated along side King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, Gentle Giant and VDGG. The closest we have for that now is the UK based prog awards but it's not really a hall of fame per se.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yep. +1
    This comes up every year, but it's worth repeating: the Rock Hall museum is a really great place to visit. The actual area with the controversial plaques is just one small part of the museum. The rest of it has exhibits and memorabilia from the history of rock music, and it's in no way limited only to those artists who have been inducted. The museum itself is a distinct entity from the people who run the induction process.

I don't really get being all angry about who's in or out, on one extreme, and at the other extreme the point about a "Hall of Fame" for popular music (any music, really) being inherently stupid is self-evident. Still, most people in here do love the music itself and Rock Hall museum celebrates the music and its history in a very commendable way.

^ That's one of the reasons I prefer the post Fish era of the band. They eventually decided to not try to sound like early Genesis and that enabled them to do whatever the hell they wanted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^ That's one of the reasons I prefer the post Fish era of the band. They eventually decided to not try to sound like early Genesis and that enabled them to do whatever the hell they wanted.
    That Fish era Marillion - especially their first and third album - is just great, with some of the best lyrics in the progressive music in general (just to mention Garden Party and Chelsea Monday from the debut). Well, Symphonic rock is a manner - probably more than any other genre of progressive music. A band can't doing something revolutionary new if follow an idiom of the genre, especially if that genre is Symphonic rock, and yet to stay in the genre. And I say this as a big fan of Symphonic rock.
    After all, that underrated Marillion' Script For A Jester's Tear the debut album was / is way more genuine sympho-rock than, for example, extremely overrated Anglagard's Hybris.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-22-2016 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    With all due respect. I love Yes, I like and used to love Camel and I kinda enjoy atl least *some* Marillion. But during their cultural onset, For Marillio's sake in 1984-88, they were not a creative or artistically refreshing rock music unit. I have the uttermost confidence in some folks who seem to love the band (like Jed/JKL2000 in here), but to me they represent the worst of rubbish quasi-postmodern "poignant", attemptively radical rock music ever. Counterfeiting is bad to begin with, but if you do it With some of the most original artistic statements ever, it gets all the more ludicrous.
    Agreed. Not that I listen to Hogarth era Marillion either, but at least it's legitimate as music. The earlier albums just sound like a bad joke.

Banned
    Agreed. Not that I listen to Hogarth era Marillion either, but at least it's legitimate as music. The earlier albums just sound like a bad joke.
    A bad joke?! LOL! thanks to YouTube, we [Fish era Marillion fans] can immediately expose such statements as a bullshit.

Last edited by Svetonio; 10-23-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Banned
    Dig it, Punkers...

THE MUSIC OF FISH ERA MARILLION IS LIKE A DREAM.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-23-2016 at 05:32 AM.

^ No you can't. You can just confirm yourself as a cloth-eared poltroon who doesn't process what he hears. Once again showing that your opinions which are pronounced as facts are just more nonsense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ No you can't. You can just confirm yourself as a cloth-eared poltroon who doesn't process what he hears. Once again showing that your opinions which are pronounced as facts are just more nonsense.
    Oh sorry I disappointed you! but I'll make you happy again...

Last edited by Svetonio; 10-23-2016 at 05:54 AM.

"I don't care for that music."

"Oh yeah? I bet that if I post a bunch of YouTube videos that I can change your mind"

"Wow. Yeah. I love that stuff now!"

- said no one, ever.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's an amazingly enlightened argument, seeing how some others might not consider a spiritually euphoric herb-hippie yelling "[...] Cha'chacha'ch-cha'h, Cha'chacha'ch-cha'h!" rock either.
    First of all, he's not yelling it. He is actually singing it as a chant. Poor argument since there is actual singing on that track also.

"Oh yeah? I bet that if I post a bunch of YouTube videos that I can change your mind"

- said no one, ever.

I get it now. The three minute interval between posts was for Tonio. Good lord, there must be a medical term for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    That Fish era Marillion - especially their first and third album - is just great, with some of the best lyrics in the progressive music in general (just to mention Garden Party and Chelsea Monday from the debut). Well, Symphonic rock is a manner - probably more than any other genre of progressive music. A band can't doing something revolutionary new if follow an idiom of the genre, especially if that genre is Symphonic rock, and yet to stay in the genre. And I say this as a big fan of Symphonic rock.
    After all, that underrated Marillion' Script For A Jester's Tear the debut album was / is way more genuine sympho-rock than, for example, extremely overrated Anglagard's Hybris.
    Oh yeah, Anglagard's albums are just so famous. Everyone knows who they are. I think they even went multi platinum. In fact I think all the kids these days are singing their songs and playing them in bands. That's how over rated they are. Marillion on the other hand. Hardly any prog fans especially those who got into prog and were fans of neo prog in the eighties have heard of them. It's such a shame how obscure they are in prog circles.

I agree that the fish era lyrics were very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Correct! Have Cream been inducted?
    Yes, in fact, Clapton is th eonly three time inductee (as a a member of The Yardbirds, Cream, and also as a solo aritst)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Tull should get in before Yes
    Me think not!

Banned
    Oh yeah, Anglagard's albums are just so famous. Everyone knows who they are. I think they even went multi platinum. In fact I think all the kids these days are singing their songs and playing them in bands. That's how over rated they are. Marillion on the other hand. Hardly any prog fans especially those who got into prog and were fans of neo prog in the eighties have heard of them. It's such a shame how obscure they are in prog circles.

I agree that the fish era lyrics were very good though.
    I mentioned Änglagård just for example, but as you insist, I'd like to say a few off-topic words more ... For a short-lived band, Änglagård is an extremely overrated band among prog-heads at the present day. Änglagård's mostly instrumental & pretty derivative debut album Hybris, now is something like a sympho-rock sacred cow. Indeed, somehow it became not advisable to say that the Änglagård's debut, although it has a cute background as a project released by then-kids that were keens for the use of vintage instruments on an sympho-rock album and hence insisting on 'tron that to be all over the place (probably too much even for me although I'm a big fan of 'tron sound), it is not an "essential masterpiece of prog", and certainly Hybris wasn't a "resurrection of prog in the 90s" as some people proclaimed as a law on the internet forums (actually, it's equally stupid fairy-tale like that proclaimed weird beliefs that ItCotCK is "the first prog album ever").

On the other side, today you'll find too many reviews /comments that are full of blind hate towards the Fish-era Marillion, the band which were so advanced inside the frame of the sympho-rock genre that that today the prog-heads call it "Neo-prog" as a "different" genre than sympho-rock, although "Neo-Prog" originaly was / is a synonyme - invented in the 1980s by the British rock journalists for British Symphonic Rock Revival, what Marillion really was when the gods of the genre like Genesis, Yes and Renaissance were turned into pop-rock and /or mainstream rock.

And yeah, a great poetry is so rare in the progressive music in general, especially in sympho-rock, and hence those rare great lyrics are very important for the genre. However, even if that poetry is like those, let's say, avarage (in general) lyrics by Jon Anderson, that lead vocal(s), which is like an instrument more in a sympho-rock band, and that meandring way of singing of the best of sympho-rock vocalists, certainly contributes a lot to the spirit of the genre itself.

Unlike jazz-rock /fusion, where singing are redundant and often very cheesy (with some of sublime exceptions like 'Canterbury style' jazz-rock in England or, on the other side of the ocean, some great songs by Chick Corea solo and Return To Forever, & of course Steely Dan), instrumental sympho-rock, just like on Hybris, wasn't / isn't and never will be in the same league with the great sympho-rock albums of the bands with the gifted lead vocalists and nice poetry - especially if that poetry is beautiful like in the case of now shamelessly underrated Fish-era Marillion .
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-27-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Banned

- said no one, ever.
    Before YouTube, it was a golden age for some people who loved to carelessly lying about some bands & albums at the Internet forums, lol.
    With YouTube, nobody could create anymore so easy - just with a "nice" blah blah blah at the forums - a negative image for an act & among the newbies...
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-27-2016 at 07:30 AM.

That's arguable. No, they didn't have a really big seller with a number one hit like 90125 but Crest of the knave was probably their biggest album since heavy horses or songs from the wood and it even won them a grammy in 1988 for best hard rock/heavy metal band. That counts as a resurgence imo.
    Degree of 80s resurgence will not matter once Yes gets in. After that, bands like Tull will follow.

^ I was gonna not comment, but...Your YouTube posts aren't the slightest bit evidentiary in support of your arguments. Your perspective is almost invariably...unusual, as your view of Anglargard's albums and Fish's lyrics confirm. SMH