Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Discogs

And it's not like their listings are pristine. There is A LOT of garbage there, a lot of errors and duplications and flat-out wrong information.

Here's a doozy I received today:

A comment was posted on Genesis - Live - Chicago, IL 10.03.07 which you submitted or contributed to.
    Comment: Live recordings are not Albums
    Remove Album from all your releases live recordings
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Well you know what they mean, "bootlegs are not official albums" but Discogs lists so many bootlegs, pirate editions and just plain vaporware that they can't come out and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Here's a doozy I received today:

A comment was posted on Genesis - Live - Chicago, IL 10.03.07 which you submitted or contributed to.
    Comment: Live recordings are not Albums
    Remove Album from all your releases live recordings
    Was it posted by one of the rabble, or did it come from Discogs/a moderator?

Same thing

I never add albums listings to discogs, if it's not there then I don't worry about it. I love it for an inventory database and to buy things every once in awhile, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Was it posted by one of the rabble, or did it come from Discogs/a moderator?
    Some flippng azzchle "hmvh" seems to be on an OCD warpath. "Does this video contain complete musical
    performances" Discogs would server them selves a lot better by cutting these types.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I never add albums listings to discogs, if it's not there then I don't worry about it. I love it for an inventory database and to buy things every once in awhile, but that's about it.
    That's a good idea. I'll use another account for that from now on.
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 02-08-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Business has been very brisk for me of late. It started picking up in December and has continued well into February. Unfortunately, I had my first lost shipment - and it was within Canada to boot. The guy has been very patient, but it's coming up on one month since I mailed it, so I will be giving him a full refund in the next couple of days.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Ugh. I recently bought a ten-CD Miles Davis set and it's not on Discogs... I want to catalogue it with the rest of my stuff but do I really want to enter this massive amount of info, only to have some jackass get all up in arms because I missed some obscure rule?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ That's why I have two accounts on discogs. One to enter, one to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    ^ That's why I have two accounts on discogs. One to enter, one to buy.
    That's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's a good idea!
    Indeed... never thought about it but I think I'll implement it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ugh. I recently bought a ten-CD Miles Davis set and it's not on Discogs... I want to catalogue it with the rest of my stuff but do I really want to enter this massive amount of info, only to have some jackass get all up in arms because I missed some obscure rule?
    Thing is that when you enter a submission into the database based on the minimum requirements you won't get into much trouble actually. Minimum requirements are Artist, Title, Format, full tracklist. All other data can be added at a later stage either by you or by someone else who owns the same set.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Thing is that when you enter a submission into the database based on the minimum requirements you won't get into much trouble actually. Minimum requirements are Artist, Title, Format, full tracklist. All other data can be added at a later stage either by you or by someone else who owns the same set.
    I entered the minimum requirements for that Glass Hammer disc last year, only to have someone become furious that I had dared call it a 'compilation' (which it is) rather than an 'album' (which it isn't). That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, really.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just made my first three purchases on Discogs today, will update as the process continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Just made my first three purchases on Discogs today, will update as the process continues.
    Nice.

My experience with buying on Discogs has always been positive. Granted, that probably has more to do with the merchants than the site itself... But I do think it's a great resource for information and for tracking down some things that are harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My experience with buying on Discogs has always been positive.
    I have always gotten what I ordered... but the LPs I have bought have all been "visually graded" only, and invariably sound like crap even though graded M or NM.

Caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have always gotten what I ordered... but the LPs I have bought have all been "visually graded" only, and invariably sound like crap even though graded M or NM.

Caveat emptor.
    Visual grading is the norm in this game, as it should be.

Well I'll never make that mistake again. "As it should be"? How do you figure????

Well I'll never make that mistake again. "As it should be"? How do you figure????
    Because I may have a high end system upon which the record for sale plays well and without inordinate noise. You may be playing it on an old Victrola, and it's chance of playing well may be remote for reasons that have nothing to do with the record itself.

If a record looks NM but plays poorly due to a poor pressing, the place to address that is in the notes/description, not the grade.

When it comes to grading Discogs is the wild west. Much worse than Ebay. Play grading should be the standard but its not practical for dealers to listen to each album. You are lucky if you get a record that has been cleaned. For a high priced album, if you request a play grade the dealer will generally comply. Don’t be surprised if it winds up being radically different than what was initially advertised.

I’ve had comical experiences with overgrading on Discogs. Insist on returning the album and getting reimbursed for return postage. Don’t be afraid to leave negative feedback.

If a record looks NM but plays poorly due to a poor pressing, the place to address that is in the notes/description, not the grade.
    You have a very weird idea of what grading is.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I entered the minimum requirements for that Glass Hammer disc last year, only to have someone become furious that I had dared call it a 'compilation' (which it is) rather than an 'album' (which it isn't). That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, really.
    Wow, I'm glad I've only ever used Discogs for buying and for reference! That's crazy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You have a very weird idea of what grading is.
    Grading is based on the condition of the copy of the record. Basing it on the quality of the pressing would be like grading the condition of a used book on the content.

Uh, no.

Grading an LP on how it plays would be like grading a paperback on underlining, highlighting, bent or torn pages, stained cover....