Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake - Arx Pilosa

Bob Drake - Arx Pilosa

https://bobdrake.bandcamp.com/album/arx-pilosa

Lets talk about this new gem.

As usual its brilliant in it's quirky way. A bit exhausting too. I wonder what it would sound like at 1/2 speed.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

Didn't realize this was out! Heading over to Bandcamp now...

There are some serious twists and turns... jumped up to one of my favorites from Bob already. That cover art is great too!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Didn't realize this was out! Heading over to Bandcamp now...
    Yes it's finally out! It's available from ReR or from Morphius (that's the bandcamp page.)
    I hope you all get the CD because the artwork is superb!

Bob
    www.bdrak.com

Ordered and anxiously awaiting its arrival. It came at a perfect time, my interest in late 60's pop is at an all time high, and reading Chris Cutler's review on Bandcamp pretty much sold me. I got the download, but I'll wait to enjoy it in its full artwork paired physical glory.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Holy Moly - had no idea this was released! EXCITED.

Congrats Bob! I just ordered the disc and I am going to have to spin the files - no way I can wait for the disc.

Holy crap - the first track is amazing! So far, I've heard the first track three times and none of the rest of the album. I love the immediacy of the sound already - superb sonics.

EDIT: seven (7) times on the first track ("Dret Tancat") so far. Can't even get to track two.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 10-17-2016 at 07:09 PM.

CD arrived today!

May I say, in a good way, that the vocal style of "the strangeness of you" reminded me of this?

Of course the work is brilliant and sparkling with sparks of beauty...

Shit, those bandcamp clips are... Utterly amazing. There's more musical information (and relevant such) in that 1:38 long early track than in most other recent bandcamp "prog" albums I've heard combined!

This should be bought, I suspect.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

BD’s brother Dave reviewed the album. Read it here:

http://bdblog.bdrak.com/my-brother-d...ws-arx-pilosa/
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I received my copy yesterday and have listened to it once. For BD fans it is a must. Very impressive! He has put a lot of work into this one. Both the arrangements and the songs themselves sounds more complex than anything he has done before, and the production is also very exciting.

I heared it 5 times now and this is quickly becoming my favorite BD album.

The songwriting finesse of Lawn ornaments combined with a punkish energy. It is fresh, exiting, strange, detailed and, at times, catchy as hell!

Makes the wait for the New Sea Nymphs a it easier ;-)
    Last edited by thedunno; 10-18-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Wow! Thank you for opening my eyes to this. Haven't heard anything from him before. Definitely the first thing I've found that properly compares to that Cardiacs spirit while still feeling like it's whole own thing! Now, I need to decide whether I want to buy the CD and wait for it to get here, or get the digital and have it now...

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    Wow! Thank you for opening my eyes to this. Haven't heard anything from him before. Definitely the first thing I've found that properly compares to that Cardiacs spirit while still feeling like it's whole own thing! Now, I need to decide whether I want to buy the CD and wait for it to get here, or get the digital and have it now...
    Cardiacs spirit indeed! Brought to mind the idea of a Bob Drake/Bill Drake collaboration.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Cardiacs spirit indeed! Brought to mind the idea of a Bob Drake/Bill Drake collaboration.
    Now there is a great idea!

The blast beat at 2:20 of "The Parthenon Replica"? That’s good fun right there, boo.

PS: BD released an EP this summer which is very cool as well.
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 10-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Bob played me Parthenon Replica back when it was still called "20 Nitre Encrusted Hits." In fact I think Deep Cuts had the honor of debuting it to the world! Glad to see it have a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't spent nearly the time necessary with this yet, but what strikes me as a general theme is Bob's uncanny ability to totally deconstruct all the pop tune cliches from the past 50 or so years ... in the course of a single tune! It's pretty remarkable from a compositional standpoint, but then when you think he plays and produces it all himself? Incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I haven't spent nearly the time necessary with this yet, but what strikes me as a general theme is Bob's uncanny ability to totally deconstruct all the pop tune cliches from the past 50 or so years ... in the course of a single tune!
    I like this analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It's pretty remarkable from a compositional standpoint, but then when you think he plays and produces it all himself? Incredible!
    Spot-on.

Also, I see you purchased it on Bandcamp. I'm thinking I'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Holy crap - the first track is amazing! So far, I've heard the first track three times and none of the rest of the album. I love the immediacy of the sound already - superb sonics.

EDIT: seven (7) times on the first track ("Dret Tancat") so far. Can't even get to track two.
    This bodes quite well for the rest of the album, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Hell yeah!
    While we are at it. Lets add Sarah to the line up as well and we have 'Mr and Mr Drake and Mrs Smith'. ...or Cutsy.... whatever. I bet they could do great sets of combined Bill Drake/ Bon Brake/ Sea Nymphs material.

Though the idea is exciting, a collaboration is a bit impractical as we live on different continents and nearly 1000 km apart, and I don't like the "working by email" concept. However I have pondered the idea of contacting Mr Drake to see if he'd like to do a show together sometime - each of us do a solo set.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Hell yeah!
    While we are at it. Lets add Sarah to the line up as well and we have 'Mr and Mr Drake and Mrs Smith'. ...or Cutsy.... whatever. I bet they could do great sets of combined Bill Drake/ Bon Brake/ Sea Nymphs material.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    The blast beat at 2:20 of "The Parthenon Replica"? That’s good fun right there, boo.
    Also in the middle bit of "Afterlife Revolution". I'd never tried it before this album, and thought it might be a good thing! It's quite sloppy compared to the drummers who do blast beats all the time, but I also like hearing it just hanging on by its fingernails: is he gonna make it???? You can really sense it in Parthenon Replica when I make it through, the sense of relief when it goes back to the typical rock drumbeat. "YEAH I MADE IT!!!"