Thread: New Eric Johnson Album

New Eric Johnson Album

He recently released "EJ", an acoustic collection of original tunes and covers he has been working on for several years. Highly recommended.

http://www.ericjohnson.com/

What are your impressions of Up Close? I did enjoy Eclectic with Mike Stern quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    What are your impressions of Up Close? I did enjoy Eclectic with Mike Stern quite a bit.
    To me, Up Close is more uneven than this recent release, but there are some great songs that on it like the instrumental "Gem" and "Arithmetic" with touching vocals and a "Holdsworth-like tone" during the outro solo. If you like his vocal tunes, Up Close is a pretty good record, but I think the tunes mentioned previously are worth the cost of purchasing this recording.

Just saw EJ do an acoustic show Wednesday night in Annapolis. He's just freakin' amazing. Great show. Hope he tours electric again.
    He's really hooked on Kojak. Brought that up 2-3 times. He had some fun comments between songs.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Just saw EJ do an acoustic show Wednesday night in Annapolis. He's just freakin' amazing. Great show. Hope he tours electric again.
    He's really hooked on Kojak. Brought that up 2-3 times. He had some fun comments between songs.
    That's great. I saw him at the Rams Head in 2004? when he played many of the tunes on this new recording. Got some really good recordings off Dimeadozen from this initial acoustic run. Yeah, he's a pretty good piano player too.

Loving it! The instrumentals are really strong, but his vocals in the acoustic environment match the vibe of the album very well.
    Up Close was great & I saw him in Modesto, CA, an exciting event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    he has been working on for several years.
    There is nothing that EJ does that doesn't take several years!

I liked Up Close, might have to play it again this morning. I'll put the acoustic collection on my Christmas list.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There is nothing that EJ does that doesn't take several years!

I liked Up Close, might have to play it again this morning. I'll put the acoustic collection on my Christmas list.
    Yeah, he has a history of being overly meticulous, but I think he has come to grips with that tendency. He has gigged and released several CDs/DVDs in recent years e.g. Live In Europe, Mike Stern collaboration, Up Close, Austin City Limits CD/DVD, Live In Anaheim and the Experience Hendrix tours. The new album has been well worth the wait There is one song (Divanae) from his acoustic shows that I wish had made it on to the record. Hopefully it will appear on a subsequent recording.

I was front row centre for a show with him a Buddy Guy. Now anytime Eric's name is mentioned I can't help but think about the length of his fingers. He made that guitar neck look like a pencil.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I'm a huge Eric Johnson fan. Ah Via Musicana was the first CD I bought when I moved to the countryside of Japan so has an extra emotional impact on me, especially the song "Forty Mile Town". Venus Isle was also great. Tones was also very good.

Bloom was the first album I didn't like 100% but that was OK because the songs I really liked, about 30 minutes, still made a great EP. But then came Up Close, which I never bought. I listened to most of it on youtube but seemed uneven and didn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I'm a huge Eric Johnson fan. Ah Via Musicana was the first CD I bought when I moved to the countryside of Japan so has an extra emotional impact on me, especially the song "Forty Mile Town". Venus Isle was also great. Tones was also very good.

Bloom was the first album I didn't like 100% but that was OK because the songs I really liked, about 30 minutes, still made a great EP. But then came Up Close, which I never bought. I listened to most of it on youtube but seemed uneven and didn't buy it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjk8AaxqoOk

I can't seem to find "Ah Via Musicana" anywhere. Could someone help a brother out?

^^ It's called Ah Via Musicom. It should still be in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ It's called Ah Via Musicom. It should still be in print.
    Yes I know. See the post 2 north of mine. I've been a fan since the beginning.

Hey! I am posting under the influence of a few brewskies!

And Arithmetic is great.

Hey! I am posting under the influence of a few brewskies!

And Arithmetic is great.
    I'm confused. Is that an endorsement for, or against drunk posting? Cuz, I can tell you one thing - many appear drunk here whether drunk or not. Still waiting, btw, for those responsible for a mod from another forum appearing here this morning to take out a few of the deserving in one fell swoop. LOL.

Arithmetic is great, btw, only for those who are capable of getting it to work FOR them.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    I'm confused. Is that an endorsement for, or against drunk posting? Cuz, I can tell you one thing - many appear drunk here whether drunk or not. Still waiting, btw, for those responsible for a mod from another forum appearing here this morning to take out a few of the deserving in one fell swoop. LOL.

Arithmetic is great, btw, only for those who are capable of getting it to work FOR them.
    Seriously, what are you babbling about?

Seriously, what are you babbling about?
    Have another beer, and maybe you'll figure it out..............

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Have another beer, and maybe you'll figure it out..............
    Nope. Done for the night. "Arithmetic is great, btw, only for those who are capable of getting it to work FOR them." That is so deep. I have no idea what it means, but clearly deep.

Nope. Done for the night. "Arithmetic is great, btw, only for those who are capable of getting it to work FOR them." That is so deep. I have no idea what it means, but clearly deep.
    Not that deep. Just recognize when it works for ya, and when it doesn't.