Thread: 8 days – 2 amazing shows

8 days – 2 amazing shows

I attended two amazing gigs recently.

The first one was at the Summer’s End Festival in South Wales, UK.

I knew beforehand that Tiger Moth Tales were going to be excellent as a full band (this was only their second gig) but was floored but their performance. The whole audience were just stunned by Pete Jones. His guitar, keyboard and saxophone playing were incredible and he has a voice of an angel. He was supported by an excellent group of musicians that certainly held up their end, but it was Pete’s time to showcase his awesome talents, and he did not disappoint. He also has natural charisma and the wit of a stand-up comedian and had everybody laughing between songs. It didn’t harm that most of the music was from his stunning debut album Cocoon. This 60 minute performance was over far too quickly but unfortunately that’s the drawback to playing at a festival I guess.
    Most people I spoke to said it was easily the high point of the weekend and that included IQ, Magic Pie, RPWL and Karnataka.

The second concert couldn’t have been more different. Rob Reed performing his Sanctuary album with a 13 piece band at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios.
    Real World’s ‘Big Room’ is an awesome venue for such an adventurous project and although it is quite a large space, when you add 13 musicians and singers with a grand piano, full drum kit and an expansive percussion section which included timpani drums, marimba, vibraphones, tubular bells and much more, space became quite limited. Between 180-200 fans, spread over two shows, were absolutely spellbound with an incredible performance. Instead of Rob Reed playing it safe and sitting behind the grand piano, he played mostly lead guitar. As well as some keyboard playing, and a section or two using a vocoder, he also ventured into the percussion area to play marimba, vibraphone, sleigh bells and of course tubular bells.

Just like Pete Jones the week before, this was an event to showcase Rob’s talents, and again backed up by an incredible group of musicians, another home run was hit. Although Rob generally shies away from the limelight, it was his shyness that endeared him to the audience and they hung on his every (albeit few) word.

Not sure when I’ll get to see two amazing and diverse gigs like this again.

Yes indeed Chris, Rob and his expanded entourage were simply wonderful at Real World, can't wait to relive this one on DVD.

I didn't get to Summers End this year but Tiger Moth Tales sounds like something I would have enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk