Thread: British Psychedelic rock 1967

British Psychedelic rock 1967

Just saw this upcoming release & there's some good hard to find tracks on this new box set. Obviously pre-prog but these songs obviously influenced the genre. There's some real obscurities on here that I have been trying to 'track down' for years.

Let's Go Down and Blow Our Minds - The British Psychedelic Sounds Of 1967 Box set
    As that noted hipster Plato once observed, when the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake. And there was certainly a whole lotta shakin' goin' on in 1967. As the year progressed, it seemed that more or less every element of the British pop world had been swept up in the blissed-out UFOria. Beat boom survivors, R&B stalwarts, sharp-suited mods, Swinging London soul revues, earnest acoustic folkies, Denmark Street hustlers, traditional pop acts € all abandoned or refined their previous identities to make music that reflected the ubiquitous influence of psychedelia in its myriad paisley-patterned guises. Across four hours and eighty tracks, the all-singing, not-much-dancing Let's Go Down And Blow Our Minds anticipates the fiftieth anniversary of the Summer of Love to chronicle a tumultuous twelve-month period of music-making within the British Isles. The dizzying breadth of the set incorporates everything from key names such as The Move and Procol Harum, both represented with less obvious choices (surely nobody needs to hear 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow' or 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' yet again?!), to the likes of mondo obscuro West Country quintet T. J. Assembly, who pressed a mere 25 copies of their self-penned November 1967 album as a strictly personal memento of their time together.

Disc: 1

1. Toyland - THE ALAN BOWN! - The Alan Bown
    2. Magic in the Air - THE ATTACK - The Attack
    3. Subway (Smokey Pokey World) - THE TICKLE - The Tickle
    4. I Can See Through You - EPISODE SIX - Episode Six
    5. The Madman Running Through the Fields - DANTALIAN'S CHARIOT - Dantalian's Chariot
    6. Dogs in Baskets - GERANIUM POND - Geranium Pond
    7. Eiderdown Clown - THE SCOTS OF ST. JAMES - The Scots Of St James
    8. Dear Delilah - GEORGE ALEXANDER - George Alexander
    9. Pink Purple Yellow and Red - THE SORROWS - The Sorrows
    10. Lazy Man (Alt Version) - THE MIRAGE - The Mirage
    11. Give Him a Flower - THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
    12. Tanya - TINTERN ABBEY - Tintern Abbey
    13. Prodigal Son - FLEUR-DE-LYS - Fleur-De-Lys
    14. See the People - THE LOMAX ALLIANCE - The Lomax Alliance
    15. Time to Start Loving You - MICKEY FINN - Mickey Finn
    16. I Hear the Sun - THE FINGERS - The Fingers
    17. Nice - CROCHETED DOUGHNUT RING - Crocheted Doughnut Ring
    18. My House Is Burning - GOOD THING BRIGADE - Good Thing Brigade
    19. Ice Woman - THE MOTIVES - The Motives
    20. Look at the Sun - LOUISE - Louise
    21. I Won't Hurt You - NEO MAYA - Neo Maya
    22. Path Through the Forest - CLIFF WARD - Cliff Ward
    23. Sanity Inspector - THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP - The Spencer Davis Group
    24. 'cos It's Over - THE SUMMER SET - The Summer Set
    25. Try Me for Size - THE FADIN' COLOURS - The Fadin' Colours
    26. Silver Tree Top School for Boys - THE SLENDER PLENTY - The Slender Plenty
    27. Evil Woman - GUY DARRELL - Guy Darrel

Disc: 2
    1. Flames - ELMER GANTRY'S VELVET OPERA - Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera
    2. Double Sight - ONE IN A MILLION - One In A Million
    3. Keep It Out of Sight - PAUL & BARRY RYAN - Paul & Barry Ryan
    4. Defecting Grey (Extended Version) - THE PRETTY THINGS - The Pretty Things
    5. Desdemona - JOHN'S CHILDREN - John's Children
    6. Smokeytime Springtime - THE DOVES - The Doves
    7. Flowers in Your Hair - JOHN WILLIAMS - John Williams
    8. All So Long Ago - SWEET FEELING - Sweet Feeling
    9. Reflections of Charles Brown - RUPERT'S PEOPLE - Rupert's People
    10. Toy Soldier - THE RIOT SQUAD ft DAVID BOWIE - The Riot Squad
    11. The Rise and Fall of Bernie Gripplestone - THE RATS - The Rats
    12. Something to Write About - CIRCUS - Circus
    13. Funny Face - DAVE DAVIES - Dave Davies
    14. Village Green - THE BROOD - The Brood
    15. Mr. Sun - TONY RIVERS & THE CASTAWAYS - Tony Rivers & The Castaways
    16. Your Servant, Stephen - THE PEEP SHOW - The Peep Show
    17. And the Squire Blew His Horn - THE UGLYS - The Uglys
    18. Vote for Me - THE MOVE - The Move
    19. A Day in My Mind's Mind - HUMAN INSTINCT - The Human Instinct
    20. She Was Perfection - MURRAY HEAD - Murray Head
    21. Little Girl Lost and Found - PETER & THE WOLVES - Peter And The Wolves
    22. Spare a Shilling - THE BUNCH - The Bunch
    23. Flower Power - BIG JIM SULLIVAN - Big Jim Sullivan
    24. Kaleidoscope (Extended Stereo Mix) - PROCOL HARUM - Procol Harum
    25. Crazy Dreams - THE SEARCHERS - The Searchers
    26. In the Deep End - THE ARTWOODS - The Artwoods

Disc: 3
    1. Someone Turned the Light Out - OUR PLASTIC DREAM - Our Plastic Dream
    2. Finding It Rough - HAT & TIE - Hat & Tie
    3. Fashion Conscious - THE FRESH WINDOWS - The Fresh Windows
    4. The Addicted Man - THE GAME - The Game
    5. Meditations - FELIUS ANDROMEDA - Felius Andromeda
    6. Delighted to See You (Demo Version) - THE HONEYBUS - The Honeybus
    7. So Many Times - ICE - Ice
    8. A Walk in the Sky - THE FLOWER POT MEN - The Flower Pot Men
    9. Friends and Mirrors - FIVE'S COMPANY - Five's Company
    10. Family Tree - THE LATE - The Late
    11. I Think I Need the Cash - THE SECRETS - The Secrets
    12. Schizoid Revolution - SKIP BIFFERTY - Skip Bifferty
    13. Granny Takes a Trip - THE PURPLE GANG - The Purple Gang
    14. Emily Small - THE PICADILLY LINE - The Picadilly Line
    15. Help Me Please - THE OUTER LIMITS - The Outer Limits
    16. 'cept Me - FOCAL POINT - Focal Point
    17. Great Shadowy Strange - JADE HEXAGRAM - Jade Hexagram
    18. Busker Bill - THE TRUTH - The Truth
    19. Life's Not Life - THE MOODY BLUES - The Moody Blues
    20. I Can't Get Away from You - DON CRAINE'S NEW DOWNLINERS SECT - Don Craine's New Downliners Sect
    21. Odd Man Out - THE HI-FI'S - The Symbols
    22. Again - THE SYMBOLS - The Hi-Fis
    23. Laughing Man - THE MARMALADE - The Marmalade
    24. Ginger - T. J. ASSEMBLY - T.J. Assembly
    25. Michelangelo - THE 23rd TURN OFF - The 23rd Turnoff
    26. Supporters -Support Us - THE Q.P.R. SUPPORTERS - The Q.P.R. Supporters
    27. Listen to the Sky - SANDS - Sands

New Zealand Band

19. A Day in My Mind's Mind - HUMAN INSTINCT - The Human Instinct
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Just saw this upcoming release & there's some good hard to find tracks on this new box set. Obviously pre-prog but these songs obviously influenced the genre. There's some real obscurities on here that I have been trying to 'track down' for years.
    Well, I'd be wary if I were you- One Republic, it ain't.

Some magnificent records on here. Some are more or less impossible to track down in good quality- 'Smokey Pokey World' and 'Double Sight' spring to mind. These were on the famous Chocolate Soup For Diabetics releases but (owing to those albums' dubious legality!) in wonky record transfers, the former being sped up! 'Madman Running Through The Fields' was also one of those collections, it's had slightly wider circulation but again I am not sure I have it on anything from the master tapes.

'Listen To The Sky' is another brilliant record, and a good choice to close the collection- it has that big Holst/'Mars' finish. This one was the last track on the original The Perfumed Garden collection from the 80s.

This one is also very good:
    https://www.discogs.com/it/Various-S...elease/3336900

And it also has the advantage of including - for the first time officially - the VDGG single People You Were Going To/Firebrand, taken from the master tape.

26. Supporters -Support Us - THE Q.P.R. SUPPORTERS - The Q.P.R. Supporters

Now that was some band?

Great compilation though

the set incorporates everything from key names such as The Move and Procol Harum, both represented with less obvious choices (surely nobody needs to hear 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow' or 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' yet again?!), to the likes of mondo obscuro West Country quintet T. J. Assembly
    This seems aimed at hard core fans of the genre but IMO the title is misleading since it could lead one to believe it's a comprehensive overview when in fact it's not.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, I'd be wary if I were you- One Republic, it ain't.

Some magnificent records on here. Some are more or less impossible to track down in good quality- 'Smokey Pokey World' and 'Double Sight' spring to mind. These were on the famous Chocolate Soup For Diabetics releases but (owing to those albums' dubious legality!) in wonky record transfers, the former being sped up! 'Madman Running Through The Fields' was also one of those collections, it's had slightly wider circulation but again I am not sure I have it on anything from the master tapes.

'Listen To The Sky' is another brilliant record, and a good choice to close the collection- it has that big Holst/'Mars' finish. This one was the last track on the original The Perfumed Garden collection from the 80s.
    Lol! Credit where it's due as you clearly know and research your stuff! Just hoping the quality of these obscurities don't disasapoint!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This seems aimed at hard core fans of the genre but IMO the title is misleading since it could lead one to believe it's a comprehensive overview when in fact it's not.
    But let's be blunt- these things never are nor can they be. The Beatles and Pink Floyd are forever off the table menu, and in 1967 they were defining Brit-psych IMHO. These compilations are always 'a comprehensive overview of whatever we could license/own the distribution for' and you have to bear that in mind.

It is not made clear which version of John's Children's 'Desdemona' (with Marc Bolan on very identifiable backing vocals) will be on here. There is a 'cleaned up' version which changed some of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    But let's be blunt- these things never are nor can they be. The Beatles and Pink Floyd are forever off the table menu, and in 1967 they were defining Brit-psych IMHO. These compilations are always 'a comprehensive overview of whatever we could license/own the distribution for' and you have to bear that in mind.

It is not made clear which version of John's Children's 'Desdemona' (with Marc Bolan on very identifiable backing vocals) will be on here. There is a 'cleaned up' version which changed some of the lyrics.
    You're correct, it's a cornucopia of some damn good songs (Defecting Grey by Pretty Things, for instance), lost tracks, flawed gems and little regarded or remembered bands (whatever the producers could lay their hands on). Subpar songs by Procol Harum (a not very psychedelic selection from the first album) and the Moody Blues (without Hayward and Lodge), and as you said, no Beatles or Floyd, but also no Cream, Traffic, Them, Yardbirds, Small Faces, Status Quo, Soft Machine, The Incredible String Band, Donovan, etc. I am not knocking it, I am just agreeing it is not comprehensive, nor does it indicate what people were really listening to.

It's a completist set, I suppose, for the patchouli oil, unbathed, hash resin crowd. Man.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It certainly is a lot of music to listen to. Are there really that many fans of this kind of music? Where is Yoko Ono anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    10. Toy Soldier - THE RIOT SQUAD ft DAVID BOWIE - The Riot Squad

Most bizarre Bowie track ever. Sexually perverse, but in a quite disturbing way. Don't think it's ever been officially released before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    You're correct, it's a cornucopia of some damn good songs (Defecting Grey by Pretty Things, for instance), lost tracks, flawed gems and little regarded or remembered bands (whatever the producers could lay their hands on). Subpar songs by Procol Harum (a not very psychedelic selection from the first album) and the Moody Blues (without Hayward and Lodge), and as you said, no Beatles or Floyd, but also no Cream, Traffic, Them, Yardbirds, Small Faces, Status Quo, Soft Machine, The Incredible String Band, Donovan, etc. I am not knocking it, I am just agreeing it is not comprehensive, nor does it indicate what people were really listening to.

It's a completist set, I suppose, for the patchouli oil, unbathed, hash resin crowd. Man.
    It's the kind of thing Steven Wilson would have been into, were he still interested in psych.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.