Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rush - Who Will Carry On if They're Done?

Rush - Who Will Carry On if They're Done?

It occurs to me that if Rush indeed hangs it up, there's no one out there with that combination of hard rock muscle and prog smarts. Yeah, there's plenty of prog metal acts but they tend to be DT clones with those out-dated staccato double kick-drums and lightning guitar runs going nowhere. Is Rush's particular niche going to die with them? I really don't see anyone picking up the ball.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Short Answer, Yes. To a large extent, Rush were inimitable. Of all of the active "prog" bands perhaps Astra (CA version, I believe there are two) is the one I might recommend to a displaced Rush fanatic, but even that would be a bit of a stretch. . .

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It occurs to me that if Rush indeed hangs it up, there's no one out there with that combination of hard rock muscle and prog smarts. Yeah, there's plenty of prog metal acts but they tend to be DT clones with those out-dated staccato double kick-drums and lightning guitar runs going nowhere. Is Rush's particular niche going to die with them? I really don't see anyone picking up the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    Short Answer, Yes.
    Yeah, if they follow Heaven & Earth with a similarly good album, I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    Short Answer, Yes. To a large extent, Rush were inimitable. Of all of the active "prog" bands perhaps Astra (CA version, I believe there are two) is the one I might recommend to a displaced Rush fanatic, but even that would be a bit of a stretch. . .

regards
    KGH
    Ever hear of the band Tiles? They are still around and while they are obviously influenced by Rush I wouldn't call them clones. To some degree I would say the same about Enchant. There are plenty of modern prog bands influenced by Rush not just overtly metal bands like DT either.

Also, I think part of the answer is in part of the the title. Think about it. Hint: They are an american band who are about as old as Rush and just very recently put out a new album(after a long recording hiatus).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-11-2016 at 10:14 PM.

[Yeah, if they follow Heaven & Earth with a similarly good album, I agree!]

I dont know, but I'm going to be watching this post to see what comes up... Very interested in having a good concert to go to every so often...

Any reason why they are done? - I mean any recent information on them (I mean in the last couple weeks perhaps?) I hope we will be hearing from Geddy or Alex that they're starting to write... Not that they would share that, but I sure want to hear anything thats out there. Rumors work too.

It occurs to me that if Rush indeed hangs it up, there's no one out there with that combination of hard rock muscle and prog smarts.
    Nobody can replace Rush - if they could, then Rush wouldn't be as special as many fans think that they are.

^^^ Very well said. And correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to figure out how who's going to "carry on the tradition" now that both Buddy Holly and Bobby Fuller are dead.

For that matter, who's gonna "carry on the tradition" now that The Beatles have broken up. What about Queen? Or The Everly Brothers? What about Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and Chet Atkins? Or The Byrds! OK, I'm being facetious about The Byrds, there's like a million bands that have strapped on Rickenbacker 12-strings, plugged into Vox amps and tried their damnedest to emulate those vocal harmonies (and most of them not being anywhere near as good).

But you see my point, dontcha?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

But you see my point, dontcha?
    Absolutely. In fact, I hope that any future band good enough to carry on in Rush's footsteps doesn't do anything of the sort, but instead does their own original thing.

Alright, if no one steps forward, I'll volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Absolutely. In fact, I hope that any future band good enough to carry on in Rush's footsteps doesn't do anything of the sort, but instead does their own original thing.
    And more to the point, I think we'll get by without anyone doing "the Rush thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Ever hear of the band Tiles? They are still around and while they are obviously influenced by Rush I wouldn't call them clones. To some degree I would say the same about Enchant. There are plenty of modern prog bands influenced by Rush not just overtly metal bands like DT either.

Also, I think part of the answer is in part of the the title. Think about it. Hint: They are an american band who are about as old as Rush and just very recently put out a new album(after a long recording hiatus).
    Tiles were the first band that sprang to mind for me, as well. If you can imagine a combination for Moving Pictures-era Rush with a James LaBrie clone on lead vocals then that's always how they've sounded to me. Trouble is, Tiles are not in the same league, status-wise, as Rush. Good band, but hardly likely to set the music world alight in the way that Rush have - especially thanks to their critical and commercial renaissance in recent years.

And that's the problem for me: if Rush have indeed called it quits, then who is there achieving the same level of musical and commercial success standing up for the musical values supposed to be axiomatic to progressive rock as a genre? I certainly can't think of anybody. Some bands might one day get there (Animals as Leaders spring to mind), but they're a long way from the iconic status Rush have enjoyed for so long.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Alright, if no one steps forward, I'll volunteer.
    You have yet to release your "Fly By Night."

Iron Maiden
    Coheed and Cambria

Who carried on for The Beatles. Be your own man.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Nobody can replace Rush - if they could, then Rush wouldn't be as special as many fans think that they are.
    THIS!!!

Now that they're done, I've seen quite a bit of carrying on.
    <sig out of order>

Lee, Lifeson & Portney
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Lee, Lifeson & Portney
    I can't imagine Rush appropriating a drummer from Twisted Sister. Talk about slumming.

who is there achieving the same level of musical and commercial success standing up for the musical values supposed to be axiomatic to progressive rock as a genre? I certainly can't think of anybody.
    Thanks Mark, that's what I'm trying to get at.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"who is there achieving the same level of musical and commercial success standing up for the musical values supposed to be axiomatic to progressive rock as a genre? I certainly can't think of anybody."

Thanks Mark, that's what I'm trying to get at.
    If we're speaking that broadly, then I'd say Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Who carried on for The Beatles. Be your own man.
    Ha! you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    If Rush are going out, they are going out on a high- they are about as popular now as they have ever been. And they've basically done it their own way throughout their career, with a negligible amount of conflict and drama amongst the band members. Would that other bands could have done the same.
    Word Indeed

and I say that as more of an observer than a true fan. Would that more of the Big Six had been as uncompromising, focused, and willing to work together as the Mr Lee, Mr Lifeson, & Mr Peart.

regards
    KGH

PS Canada doesn't knighthoods right? What's the highest national honor??
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You have yet to release your "Fly By Night."
    Ha! Well, for the second Ad Infinitum album (soon to be released sometime, maybe, possibly), I,wrote a song called "Rush To Judgment", because the riffs/progressions in the songs reminded me of Rush circa 1976-1981.