Thread: Any Fans of Special Providence?

Any Fans of Special Providence?

Just discovered them and don't remember them being talked about on here. Amazing technical yet melodic prog, and has a few unique keyboard sounds which is always a plus.

Not sure , but I think it has been, and maybe extensively.

I like them, yep. Good stuff, heavy fusion with great chops and a good sense of melody.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I like them also..

Instrumental bands that rock aren't a hot topic out here...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I like them, yep. Good stuff, heavy fusion with great chops and a good sense of melody.
    +1 to that.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Fantastic band
    Chad

I have all their cds. Not a clunker among the bunch. If I would have to pick a favorite it would be "Labryrinth". Great band!

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Just discovered them and don't remember them being talked about on here. Amazing technical yet melodic prog, and has a few unique keyboard sounds which is always a plus.
    I suspect someone may have been listening to the most recent Canvas Prog Hour. In Part 2, Matt plays "Lazy Boy" from the Soul Alert album. It's a fantastic Fusion track.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I suspect someone may have been listening to the most recent Canvas Prog Hour. In Part 2, Matt plays "Lazy Boy" from the Soul Alert album. It's a fantastic Fusion track.
    No, the guy doing Eddie Jobson unboxing on YT was listening to them in the background.

I am a fan, for sure.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    No, the guy doing Eddie Jobson unboxing on YT was listening to them in the background.
    That was Isildurs Bane and it wasn't a guy....

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    That was Isildurs Bane and it wasn't a guy....
    Oh, I guess you're right about it being a woman but she did two, one had Isildurs Bane, and the other had Special Providence.

Another big fan here as well, one of the best Hungarian bands for sure, I'd have to add Djabe, and European Mantra (Gergo Borlai) as some of my other favorites from there.

Only have "Soul Alert" but I think they are awesome. Lazy Boy is a killer track.

If you like it even more weird than I would recommend Natsumen from Japan:

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Only have "Soul Alert" but I think they are awesome. Lazy Boy is a killer track.

If you like it even more weird than I would recommend Natsumen from Japan:

Thanks, I like the two songs I've heard so far,the above, and the one below. I don't think they are as strange as Isildurs Bane, which is another interesting obscure group.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    I like them also..

Instrumental bands that rock aren't a hot topic out here...
    that's a shame
    I don't have much patience with narcissistic Prog vocalists who feel like they need to smother the music with their nonsensical blather (I'm looking at you Genesis and Yes)

Special Providence ROCKS
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that's a shame
    I don't have much patience with narcissistic Prog vocalists who feel like they need to smother the music with their nonsensical blather (I'm looking at you Genesis and Yes)
    What a idiotic comment. Have you ever considered the option that bands WANT vocals over their music? Usual scenario is not that some random guy just appears to studio and begins to SMOTHER the music with his vocals against protestations of the REAL musicians.

Ps. I have nothing against Instrumental music. Huge part of the music I listen is instrumental. Now listening: Philip Glass – Glassworks

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Have you ever considered the option that bands WANT vocals over their music?
    sure have... it's just too bad that otherwise good music winds up smothered by a vocalist who feels the need to sing over 75% of the music, never allowing the music to stand on its own. This is especially annoying when the lyrics are some twee pseudo-poetry which is completely unrelated to any real human experience... mountains coming out of the sky and such drivel

BTW, I'm NOT suggesting that anyone is a cloth-eared nincompoop if they like that kind of stuff. I'm just saying that bands like Special Providence appeal to me because I have a low tolerance for vocalists smothering the music.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 10-09-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

sure have... it's just too bad that otherwise good music winds up smothered by a vocalist who feels the need to sing over 75% of the music, never allowing the music to stand on its own.
    Seventy-five percent?

BTW, I'm NOT suggesting that anyone is a cloth-eared nincompoop if they like that kind of stuff.
    No, of course not. You would never do that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally