Thread: The Official Hurricane Matthew Thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The Official Hurricane Matthew Thread

If Hurricane Matthew (tm) is causing you grief, I want to know about it. Let us know how bad it gets.
    I've read that one possible track for Matthew is to head up the coast to about just above South Carolina, then circle back and take another pass along the coast. That would be a ballsy move on Matthew's part.
    Hope everyone is safe and sound!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Matthew sounds like an asshole.

No problems here. The shutters have been shutted. I'm pretty far south of Broward/Palm Beach and a good 25 miles inland from the beaches. Had some feeder bands come through but nothing else. Still not gonna know for a few more hours if we'll lose electricity. Of course we won't be outta the woods until what this thing decides to do once it gets up to the Carolinas.

North of Tampa...on and off wind and clouds all day as bands go bye. No rain yet. Some rain is expected, but that's about all on the west coast. No damage expected. East coast of Fla. --- prepare to get slammed.

And now it's going to loop around and hit Fla. again ?? WTF ?

^ The prognosis is that it will be a Cat 1 or TS when it turns around. It is unsettling to see that cone make that U turn though. Sheezuz.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 10-07-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Should be an interesting couple of days here in east/central SC. Hope everyone weathers the storm OK.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Sunny and beautiful here in Western PA. I don't get all the fuss.

Joking aside, this is pretty intense and best wishes to all in its path. And, not to discount the importance of this, it would be nice if the MSM paid even the slightest attention to the rest of the news. I mean, how many times can you go to the reporter in the rain? Everything seems to be obsession with them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

From my perspective I'm glad they made a fuss. I've been through a couple hurricanes. I'll take the 24 hour, non stop coverage.

I was fortunate to live on the far northern fringes of Andrew at the time. Winds gusted to no more than 60 mph where we lived. Got the hell out of Dodge (well, Palm Beach Gardens) while the gettin' was good. Passing along best wishes to all those in Matt's path...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

There have been 5 deaths in Florida so far.

My parents were in Englewood Florida when Hurricane Charlie hit in 2004. My mother had a medical condition and they decided to stay put instead of evacuate. The eye basically came straight up Charlotte Harbor. The south side of the eye caused tons of damage to the towns of Punta Gourda and Pt. Charlotte only about 15 minutes away from where my folks were. Englewood got hit by the north side of the eye which luckily produced significantly less damage. They both said if they had it to do over again they would never have stayed. They were both shocked by the power of the storm, and pretty much scared shitless out of the whole experience.

hurricane 2004.jpg

2004 was a very bad year. Parts of Punta Gorda were totally destroyed. A friend's parents lost their winter home there. T-Totally destroyed. (I used to live on Crestwood Dr. in Englewood, moved away in '80's)

If you're close enough to the eye, it REALLY does sound like a freight train. And it doesn't stop.....it just gets louder...

So now , some tracks show it heading for the Straits of Florida, and into the Gulf ?? OH NO !

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    hurricane 2004.jpg

2004 was a very bad year. Parts of Punta Gorda were totally destroyed. A friend's parents lost their winter home there. T-Totally destroyed. (I used to live on Crestwood Dr. in Englewood, moved away in '80's)

If you're close enough to the eye, it REALLY does sound like a freight train. And it doesn't stop.....it just gets louder...

So now , some tracks show it heading for the Straits of Florida, and into the Gulf ?? OH NO !
    Exactly how my father described it. I think it was a very humbling experience for him. As you say parts of Punta Gorda were completely destroyed, just depended on which side of the eye you were on. I have friends that live in Lakeland and as you show on the map all 3 storms basically went right through Lakeland that year. It was inland enough that they were tropical storms by the time they hit there, but still pretty powerful.

This would not be a good weekend for ProgDay. NC is expected to get a ton of rain.

We have already gotten over 6" and it's still coming. Wind is fierce. A tree fell on my shed and demolished it, and another on my back fence. It's rough.

Good luck to you Kevin. Stay safe. Watch out for downed power lines.

Hope it's passed soon, Kevin!

Well we made it. Power's been out for 12 hours and there are lots of trees down but we are thankful to be alive and safe.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Burp

How have North Carolina PE'ers fared? Whorg? Peter Renfro? I know there was a lot of flooding, don't know how inland it was. Hope things are drying out. Good to have Matthew out to sea and gone.

Yeah thank goodness it didn't make that u-turn we were expecting.

We're fine here in Chapel Hill - lots of trees down and some pockets of power-outages (not our house/knock on wood) . . . but no serious flooding to mention. We're about 200 miles from the coast though -

Good!