Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Sirius XM Surprise

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Another Sirius XM Surprise

On Deep Tracks yesterday they played That Is the Way That it Is from Fripp's Exposure. Cool!

I've also really been enjoying Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio - he's pretty hilarious on that. And Tom Petty's Treasure Chest - he plays some great stuff.

Agreed on Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour!

I'm a big fan of Little Steven's Underground Garage, which plays everything I've ever loved that isn't prog. (Traffic's "Paper Sun" is the closest they got).

Yesterday they played Roll Your Own from Tull's "Catfish Rising" album. Nice...

I heard "Clockwork Angels" yesterday, also.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

I've been telling you for years(2005) that this station has more prog than they know what to do with. They were playing McKendree Spring and the US band,Clearlight during their test week. Why they didn't establish a true prog channel is beyond me. They set one up for The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen though. It got to the point where if you could think of the prog band or song,eventually they would play it. They even played Helmet Of Gnats(self-titled SACD) which just blew my mind. I even told nosebone about it and he was wondering how they even got it. I am with Charter now,so I'm stuck with Music Choice,which I don't even bother with. Until prog gets officially recognized as a frickkin' GENRE enough to garner it's own channel,all these services can kiss my a$$.

Deep Tracks just played Genesis - ATOTT (the song)

(interesting tracks from The Monkees and The Hollies)

Now Renaissance - Jigsaw

Banned
    Does Deep Tracks play NEW music form prog bands? I've been told by friends that they hear vintage Flash quite often on Sirius (but I don't know which show).

Should we send them the new CD? And does anyone know the contact person there to send it to?

Earl Bailey is the PD of Deep Tracks, at one time they used to play newer prog [Circa, Proto-Kaw, etc...]

Banned
    Thanks, Chris, I'll pass that name along. Anyone hear anything new on Deep Tracks, or other Sirius shows lately?

Quote Originally Posted by sherrynoland View Post
    Thanks, Chris, I'll pass that name along. Anyone hear anything new on Deep Tracks, or other Sirius shows lately?
    I have heard at least one song from Trevor Rabin's Jacaranda on Deep Tracks recently.

Banned
    Thanks, jrw. Ray says Thanks, too, Chris and jrw.
    Last edited by sherrynoland; 08-18-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Heard Roy Harper - "Same Old Rock" on Sirius XM the other day. Now that was sweet!

RE: "new" music, it seems to me they only play new music when they're featuring a new album, like they did with the new Renaissance album recently. Oh, and they did something about Trevor Rabin too, which is what jrw is referring to.

Banned
    Must be be painful to listen to all the crap on Sirius just to get to a few gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Must be be painful to listen to all the crap on Sirius just to get to a few gems.
    Deep Tracks plays pretty good stuff - lots of prog.

A couple of days ago they played Zeppelin's Hats Off (to Roy Harper) - not too surprising in and of itself, and not quite prog though definitely a "deep track" - and afterward the DJ spoke a bit about Roy Harper and mentioned his new album, Man and Myth. I was surprised he was aware of it and gave it a mention. Pretty cool.

We've also been listening to Sirius XM's '40s station a lot, which is really good.

I heard Porcupine Tree on Deep Tracks last Thursday evening. Unfortunately, I was in such shock that I don't remember what song it was. It was something I didn't know. I'm only familiar with about half their catalogue.

Heard Rush "Territories" today on one of the XM channels.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Heard Rush "Territories" today on one of the XM channels.
    Great song!

A couple of surprises I heard recently.

Marvin Gaye on Deep Tracks though I can't recall what song

Donny Hathaway Ghetto Live on Jam On.

I really miss XM Music Lab. They played everything out there and then some.

Deep Tracks is playing Genesis ' Domino now . Haven't heard this in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I've been telling you for years(2005) that this station has more prog than they know what to do with. They were playing McKendree Spring and the US band,Clearlight during their test week. Why they didn't establish a true prog channel is beyond me. They set one up for The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen though. It got to the point where if you could think of the prog band or song,eventually they would play it. They even played Helmet Of Gnats(self-titled SACD) which just blew my mind. I even told nosebone about it and he was wondering how they even got it. I am with Charter now,so I'm stuck with Music Choice,which I don't even bother with. Until prog gets officially recognized as a frickkin' GENRE enough to garner it's own channel,all these services can kiss my a$$.
    Slacker Radio has a PROG Channel which not at all bad IMO, check it out sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    It got to the point where if you could think of the prog band or song,eventually they would play it.
    Why anyone bothers anymore to listen to random radio, HOPING to hear something you like, is beyond me. Pandora (among several other services) allow you to determine the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Why anyone bothers anymore to listen to random radio, HOPING to hear something you like, is beyond me. Pandora (among several other services) allow you to determine the programming.
    Tom Petty does a show on Sirius XM that's very good. Not random, he plays great, old R & R, blues, etc.

This evening I heard the all-Floyd Deep Tracks (possibly random) and they played Several Small Creatures... Fun to hear that on the radio.

Caught the Genesis Revisited II version of "The Musical Box" on Deep Tracks today.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Caught the Genesis Revisited II version of "The Musical Box" on Deep Tracks today.
    Cool! I missed that.