Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Another Sirius XM Surprise

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Deep Tracks went deep into Genesis yesterday. In the morning, they played "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging," and then, about 8 p.m., I was shocked to hear one of the gems of "From Genesis to Revelation," "In the Wilderness"!

My wife was shocked that I knew all of the words to "Grand Parade..."
    Wow! Imagine if you’d known all the words to In the Wilderness? 😹

I listened a bit during the free trial during Labor Day Week, and I have a question for the regular subscribers:

Do the stations do as much cross-promotion as I heard then, or was that something they just do during the
    free trials to try to get you interested in buying their packages? It seemed like I was constantly hearing
    "... and if you like (certain type of music, sports, talk) then head over to Channel …".

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I listened a bit during the free trial during Labor Day Week, and I have a question for the regular subscribers:

Do the stations do as much cross-promotion as I heard then, or was that something they just do during the
    free trials to try to get you interested in buying their packages? It seemed like I was constantly hearing
    "... and if you like (certain type of music, sports, talk) then head over to Channel …".
    Pretty sure that’s only during your free trial because while I do hear announcements occasionally, it’s not often and not for totally unrelated channels. More for special events, etc they’re informing you about on channels similar to what you’re listening to at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow! Imagine if you’d known all the words to In the Wilderness? ��
    I knew most of them.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Pretty sure that’s only during your free trial because while I do hear announcements occasionally, it’s not often and not for totally unrelated channels. More for special events, etc they’re informing you about on channels similar to what you’re listening to at the time.
    Nah, they don't have specialized programming for trial subscribers. They have been doing a lot of cross-promotion lately, especially with the Rod Stewart channel.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Not so much luck today, but Deep Tracks did have Out of the Blue from David Gilmour’s “About Face,” which I hadn’t heard in a long time. It’s aged pretty well, IMO.

Not so much luck today, but Deep Tracks did have Out of the Blue from David Gilmour’s “About Face,” which I hadn’t heard in a long time. It’s aged pretty well, IMO.
    I heard that as well. I agree it has aged well. They also played “No Way Out of
    here” earlier that day. Probably the least deep of his solo stuff, but fortunately I’m not too too burned out on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    They also played “No Way Out of
    here” earlier that day. Probably the least deep of his solo stuff, but fortunately I’m not too too burned out on that one.
    Wow, that's definitely a cool one. Imagine if it had been the version by Unicorn!

It’s really weird how so often I have to turn away from that station because they’re playing Bad Company or Springsteen or something I’m just not into, then they play a couple of Gilmour tracks. Another artist Sirius plays way too often for my taste is Clapton. I just don’t like his songs, even if his guitar playing is great. It does seem like it depends who the DJ is, which I guess is good in a way. But I saw today that Sirius is buying Pandora (maybe this was mentioned above) so are they doing more automated playlists?

Wow, that's definitely a cool one. Imagine if it had been the version by Unicorn!

It’s really weird how so often I have to turn away from that station because they’re playing Bad Company or Springsteen or something I’m just not into, then they play a couple of Gilmour tracks. Another artist Sirius plays way too often for my taste is Clapton. I just don’t like his songs, even if his guitar playing is great. It does seem like it depends who the DJ is, which I guess is good in a way. But I saw today that Sirius is buying Pandora (maybe this was mentioned above) so are they doing more automated playlists?
    Clapton (in one of his many acts) is probably the most played artist overall on the channel. Somehow he's grown on me over the years though. I love his cover of Border Song almost all of Journeyman in its entirety. But I feel the same way about Paul Rogers (Bad Company/Free), Springsteen, as well as Rod Stewart (Faces/Jeff Beck), Hendrix, CCR, etc.
    I'm really curious how things will change with that acquisition. I can't imagine it will shift to more automated playlists, unless they're limited to the SiriusXM online radio.

This morning on Deep Tracks, Don't Kill the Whale and Genesis' "In the Wilderness."

Not Sirius/XM, but fits the thread well I think - yesterday, I heard Pink Floyd's "Dogs" on Exponential Radio, which is the HD2 station for WXPN in Philadelphia. You may remember WXPN as the station that used to have a 1 day prog marathon each year as part of their "Highs in the 70's" program. When I heard "Dogs" it was not such a program - the next song was some singer/songwriter that I never heard of.

This morning on Deep Tracks, Don't Kill the Whale and Genesis' "In the Wilderness."
    And "Hairless Heart" on Saturday

"Harlequin" this morning

A couple of days ago they played Rush's "Seven Cities of Gold" on Deep Tracks. That song is excellent, IMO.

They have added 100 or so new channels.......... still no prog.

Banned
    I am cancelling Slacker Radio. Even though they have a decent prog channel, it has too much repetition relative to my new set of channels. I tried tunein app on my iPhone as an interface to internet stations and what appears to be Tunein’s curated content. I had a great experience on Delicious Agony prog Station while walking and listening. The cool thing is that the DJ talked about the songs before and after the song. The bit rate supported by many of these stations is good 128kbs or higher. Getting the local radio channels in HD, without an HD Radio is awesome. I was listening to KUTX from Austin last week and heard some pretty psych stuff. You go to many these via web pages but the interface is not that easy while driving, or being busy otherwise.

And best of all....Gagliarchives Radio Philadelphia, with Tom Gagliardi, A 20 plus year progressive and art rock radio program that covers a cross section of the many different styles of progressive rock music. Styles such as neo-progressive, symphonic, fusion, Canterbury, electronic, metal, space, acid, avant-garde, classical, Kraut, Zeuhl and many other styles. We cover new releases, album release and live concert anniversaries, and anything else somehow tied in with this mystical genre (at least 80,000 listings.) We are featured every Saturday night from 10pm to 2am or later when live EST on RCBC Radio in Mount Laurel, New Jersey, formerly known as z88.9FM in Pemberton, NJ also on 95.1FM(Bristol, PA/Burlington, NJ), 100.7FM(Mount Holly, NJ)
    The program can be heard online at:
    Check out our new listening links:
    RCBC Radio direct link:
    http://104.131.106.237:8090/listen.pls?sid=1
    RCBC Radio TUNEINRADIO link:
    https://tunein.com/radio/RCBC-Radio-889-s27707/
    Aural Moon Radio direct link: http://auralmoon.com/playlinks/auralmoon56kmp3.pls
    Aural Moon TUNEINRADIO link:
    https://tunein.com/radio/Aural-Moon-s50931/
    Join us in the shoutbox at http://auralmoon.com
    Check our live video stream at http://twitch.tv/gagliarchives Saturday night at 10PM EDT

The Radio program is simulcast Saturday nights at http://auralmoon.com and replayed Tuesday mornings at 11AM Eastern time at http://auralmoon.com

Holy crap! Deep Tracks is playing a Glass Hammer song - “Sun Song." Wow.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-22-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Can Utility and the Coastliners on Wednesday morning drive
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

They played Tull's "Tall Thin Girl" today.

They played Tull's "Tall Thin Girl" today.
    Yup, I caught that on the way in. And they also played "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" right around the same time.

To digress, I have really come to dislike the Jim Ladd show in the afternoons...he seems to cling to every rock n roll cliche, plays bands that do not get played on Deep Tracks normally, and in general, shows relatively little imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Yup, I caught that on the way in. And they also played "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" right around the same time.

To digress, I have really come to dislike the Jim Ladd show in the afternoons...he seems to cling to every rock n roll cliche, plays bands that do not get played on Deep Tracks normally, and in general, shows relatively little imagination.
    Deep Tracks changed considerably when Ladd started there. “For Headphones Only” was a great show that came on at 10:00 pm Eastern. Mostly prog on that show. That show ended when Ladd started. Much of what Ladd plays is not a “deep track” by any measure.

As an aside, some of the jocks on Deep Tracks make snide comments about YesO because Jon A. is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Deep Tracks changed considerably when Ladd started there. “For Headphones Only” was a great show that came on at 10:00 pm Eastern. Mostly prog on that show. That show ended when Ladd started. Much of what Ladd plays is not a “deep track” by any measure.

As an aside, some of the jocks on Deep Tracks make snide comments about YesO because Jon A. is not there.
    Agreed.

Deep Tracks has indeed changed.
    When The Music Lab channel (Progressive Rock) was canceled years ago they tried to placate us by saying that Deep Tracks would play much more Progressive Rock than before and air some special programming from the Progressive Rock side of things.

Yeah, not so much.

To say it once more: it is their business and it is a free country; they can do whatever they want. But I don't have to like it or continue paying for it.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    When The Music Lab channel (Progressive Rock) was canceled years ago they tried to placate us by saying that Deep Tracks would play much more Progressive Rock than before and air some special programming from the Progressive Rock side of things.
    Yeah, not so much.
    Even then, XM MusicLab was half progressive rock and half jam bands.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 09-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Chad

Just heard Roger Waters (Pros & Cons title track) and Captain Beefheart.