Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VdGG enter the *gasp* mainstream UK Charts

WOW!, #44. What happened, did they change the singer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    WOW!, #44. What happened, did they change the singer?
    Same singer, maybe more people like them now. Sometimes it takes the rubes a little time to catch up, eh? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    Same singer, maybe more people like them now. Sometimes it takes the rubes a little time to catch up, eh? ;-)
    Or perhaps the people who still into buying albums are more into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Or perhaps the people who still into buying albums are more into them.
    Perhaps both

Do you mean the actual date in October? I dunno, it may be in The Book but I don't know off the top of my head.
    G'day Jim,

I saw in two places online that it was released on the 1st of October 1975.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    G'day Jim,

I saw in two places online that it was released on the 1st of October 1975.

Charles
    Yes, that seems to ring a bell. I do know that Still Life was a half year later, April '76 (dunno the specific day, though! ;-)

I've heard that those '83 shows supporting Marillion could be tough going some nights for PH and John Ellis (who was playing guitar with PH at that point).
    It was a nightmare. They basically had to play in front of the stage curtains on a narrow strip of stage at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Most of the Marillion fans had no interest in Hammill, & weren't respectful enough not to talk/shout over him.

Still, PH & Fury played an electrifying set of around 6 or 7 songs...& came back, just months later, with Brain & Mozart, to deliver a glorious set at the Queen's Hall (part of which found its way on to the Margin).

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It was a nightmare. They basically had to play in front of the stage curtains on a narrow strip of stage at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Most of the Marillion fans had no interest in Hammill, & weren't respectful enough not to talk/shout over him.

Still, PH & Fury played an electrifying set of around 6 or 7 songs...& came back, just months later, with Brain & Mozart, to deliver a glorious set at the Queen's Hall (part of which found its way on to the Margin).
    I saw PH supporting Marillion at the Glasgow Pavilion, which is a really odd choice for a rock gig - it was more used to showing variety acts and Christmas pantomime. It was directly across the street from the late lamented Apollo. IIRC, Peter was on his own; don't remember a second guitarist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    2005 Athens show had VDGG supporting (sacrilege ) Porcupine Tree. So, definitely PT draw bigger crowds. (...)
    Nothing unusual that a broad-gauged alt.rock band like PT has more fans than VDGG.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-12-2016 at 03:07 AM.

Banned
    VdGG's new album "Do Not Disturb" just entered the mid-week album charts in the UK at #44! Just so we're clear, that's not the "indie" charts, or some sort of Amazon chart... this is the real-deal mainstream Top 100 UK chart!!

I think that the past decade's worth of great reviews and articles in mainstream music mags and newspapers in the UK and Europe have catapulted the group's stock. They've been very fashionable/hip in a way they weren't in the 70s, when they were just one of many Brit bands doing their thing. They've sort of had the kind of positive reappraisal that late 60's / 70's contemporaries like Nick Drake, Can, Captain Beefheart, and a few others have enjoyed (while the stock of more successful 70s acts have gone down, at least in terms of being critics' darlings).
    Attachment 8631
    Anyway, congrats to Van der Graaf Generator and those at Cherry Red / Esoteric. Right on!!!!!

Unfortunately, the new mid-week album chart in the UK shows no sign of the album, so it only lasted 1 week.
    Better than nothing, i suppose.

Ah well, I guess this isn't Hamill's year to be invited onto Strictly Come Dancing.

But he might get a gig co-writing for One Republic.

"Do Not Disturb" can in my opinion compete with some of their best stuff from the 70s. My favourite track is "(Oh No, I Must Have Said) Yes". Great album, and if it is indeed their swan song then it is a great way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    "Do Not Disturb" can in my opinion compete with some of their best stuff from the 70s. My favourite track is "(Oh No, I Must Have Said) Yes". Great album, and if it is indeed their swan song then it is a great way to go.

I finally listened to the album and its awesome! VIVA VdGG!

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Just listened to "Do Not Disturb" completely, uninterrupted, and on a good system.... "Bloody Brilliant!!!"
    Best thing they've done since the 70's! IMHO

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "