Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog songs that don't mention the title in the lyrics !

There are literally thousands of them. I'm not sure I get the point of this thread?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    There are literally thousands of them. I'm not sure I get the point of this thread?

Name one then or don't play and keep out of it!!!!!!! The choice is yours !!!!!

Dream Theater Songs without Title in the lyrics

Ytsejam (Instrumental)
    Eve (Instrumental)
    Erotomania (Instrumental)
    Scarred
    Hell's Kitchen (Instrumental)
    Regression
    Overture 1928 (Instrumental)
    The Dance Of Eternity (Instrumental)
    The Great Debate
    Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
    Honoy Thy Father
    Stream Of Consciousness (Instrumental)
    Panic Attack
    In The Presence Of Enemies
    Repentance
    Prophets Of War
    The Ministry Of Lost Souls

Funny this thread popped up, I just put this list together the other day!

Surprisingly, a LOT of their songs feature the title in the lyrics (either directly or by some minor change, like "Wait For Sleep" has "waits for sleep" and "Under A Glass Moon" has "under glass moonlight").

-Marc.

The Monkees - "Tapioca Tundra", "Daily Nightly"
    Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 01-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Banned
    Rick Wakeman must have hundreds as many are instrumentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    It's translation -- "Time flies" -- does appear, though. Oh, no! Gray area!
    For some reason this post had me howling with laughter! Good one!

Peace,
    Alex

Yes Madrigal
    Yes Siberian Khatru
    Love A House Is Not A Motel
    Genesis The Fountain Of Salmatics

All Of The Above-Transatlantic

Since a few folks have stuck in some non prog songs (The Monkees?), how about some real FAMOUS (non prog) ones:
    The Who: Baba O'Riley
    Buffalo Springfield: For What It's Worth
    etc., etc., etc., etc., etc...............................
    (But this is really a whole different topic, so i better stop here...)

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The Monkees - "Tapioca Tundra", "Daily Nightly"
    Randy Scouse Git, also
    Genesis: Firth Of Fifth, Dance On A Volcano
    Yes: Gates Of Delirium, Ritual
    ELP: Tarkus, Karn Evil 9

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What? There are tons of movies where the title is never mentioned in them. For example, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (at least I don't think it's mentioned in the movie), or The Stepford Wives. How the heck is that arrogant?
    That title might not be mentioned by any character, but as they introduce them, the title of each is shown on the screen. So it leaves no doubt who is good, bad and ugly. Don't matter really, its a great film anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I think the OP underestimated quite how many of these there are. It’s far less prevalent in vanilla pop music than it is in prog.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" --Patrick Star

N.P.:“Orion”-Casiopea/Super Flight

Genesis: Behind The Lines, Duchess, Guide Vocal (3 in a row!--if you consider Duke prog)

What about others from the same record: [Classic Rock]: Jethro Tull: Cheap Day Return, Hymn 43, Locomotive Breath; Led Zep: Black Dog, Four Sticks; then there's The Rover, Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, etc., almost all the songs on Presence, etc., etc., etc...

{Ah, those inscrutable English musicians!}

Most Magma songs.

We've got a few... Behind the Great Beyond, Behold The Ziddle, Into Thin Air, probably many more but I'd have to look. I think it's quite possible on Perilous that not a single section title on the album appears in a lyric, which would be a first but I'm not sure.

Astronauts Nightmare, The Dream Nebula plus many other vocalized tracks from Nektars' first album,
    also Sao Paulo Sunrise and Costa Del Sol from Recycled.
    This thread could feasibly contain about 15% of ALL prog titles, 'cos 65% will easily fit the opposing thread category and approximately 20% are instrumental tracks.
    If these two running threads survive, they could actually list EVERY prog song ever written with lyrics.... which might also be a good enough reason to browse elsewhere or get at least get a life, before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Since a few folks have stuck in some non prog songs (The Monkees?),)
    The Monkees have a few tracks that flirt with prog! "Daily Nightly" was one of the first recorded rock songs to feature a Moog synth! I also should have included "Writing Wrongs" from the same album, a trippy near-avant garde Nesmith tune.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The Monkees have a few tracks that flirt with prog! "Daily Nightly" was one of the first recorded rock songs to feature a Moog synth! I also should have included "Writing Wrongs" from the same album, a trippy near-avant garde Nesmith tune.
    More to the point, the Monkees have a lot of good songs that go way beyond the teeny bopper image they're associated with. If you only know them through I'm A Believer and Daydream Believer, trust me, that's not even scratching the surface.

And they made one of the best "head" movies ever, appropriately entitled Head. Nothing beats watching Mickey Dolenz using a recently surrendered Italian WWII tank to blow up a Coca Cola machine (trust me, it makes sense in the context of the movie...well, no it doesn't, but it's still a great scene, and I love the look on Mickey's face after dispatches the soft drink machine to kingdom come).

(And so what if they didn't play their own instruments?! Neither did The Beach Boys on Pet Sounds or Good Vibrations!)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    More to the point, the Monkees have a lot of good songs that go way beyond the teeny bopper image they're associated with. If you only know them through I'm A Believer and Daydream Believer, trust me, that's not even scratching the surface.

And they made one of the best "head" movies ever, appropriately entitled Head. Nothing beats watching Mickey Dolenz using a recently surrendered Italian WWII tank to blow up a Coca Cola machine (trust me, it makes sense in the context of the movie...well, no it doesn't, but it's still a great scene, and I love the look on Mickey's face after dispatches the soft drink machine to kingdom come).

(And so what if they didn't play their own instruments?! Neither did The Beach Boys on Pet Sounds or Good Vibrations!)
    and lest not forget Frank Zappa walking a pet Brahma Bull around the studio parking lot at the finale of the movie.