Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apparently the troubles of the ZFT continue unabated. . .

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I now hate the name Zappa.
    Did you know that it means "hoe"?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I saw the Dweez last night. I'm not sure what was up, but I've seen ZPZ five times now and Dweezil was just tearing it up on guitar like I'd never seen him do before. It felt a bit like "the shackles are off" and he was determined to push his guitar playing further. He has always been fantastic, but somehow I always got the impression he was playing it a bit safe with his soloing. About three fourths of the way through the show he announced a tune and some guy yelled out "slay it!". Dweezil said something like "yeah, this one I'll slay", getting a big laugh. It felt like the jams were taken further out than ever, giving greater voice to his improvisations (and those of his band mates).

This may be the best, most FZ-career-spanning tour yet with material from Freak Out right up through material from Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti with lots of the classics in between. The material from Freak Out was really well executed with some updated musical references and the whole show was augmented this time by a band that is very strong vocally with the addition of Cian Coey on vocals (locking in on harmonies with Sheila G. and doing all that really high Robert Martin stuff). There was even one (nearly) a capella tune.

Go see them!
    <sig out of order>

I attended the show the night before on Saturday. Best performance and ZPZ band I've heard in the past five years. Very creative arrangements and sequencing, and stellar vocals. The 200 Motels material with the new vocalists sounded great. And Black Napkins with baritone and alto sax was the highlight of the show for me. The rhythm section is superb as well. Bass player has such a great tone that elevates the overall sound of the ensemble. Sheila was a good sport and played the big breasted blonde bimbo during Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt. And Dweezil took a dig at his brother with the line, "Ahmet is waiting for you in the tool shed."
    Last edited by Reid; 10-24-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    And Dweezil took a dig at his brother with the line, "Ahmet is waiting for you in the tool shed."
    He did that last night as well. As far as the rhythm section, I love the bass playing but I really miss having Joe Travers on drums.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sounds great. Was one of these shows at the Beacon Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sounds great. Was one of these shows at the Beacon Theater?
    They're at the Beacon on the 30th.

Check out Ade's guitar