Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett-To tour 'new version' of Genesis revisited.

Anybody ever seen Daryl Steurmer live? He does mostly Genesis tunes too - just wondering what the experience is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Anybody ever seen Daryl Steurmer live? He does mostly Genesis tunes too - just wondering what the experience is like.
    I imagine it would be like seeing Kenny G, only with lots of superfluous notes.

He was scheduled to play here this Wed. but, (as per the venue)-

** Due to logistics and timing, we will be postponing Daryl Stuermer’s tour to June /July 2017 until further notice. Sorry for any inconvenience and hope to see you next year! **

Daryl's site has him playing in Florida next week with a symphony. "The Music of Genesis Starring Daryl Stuermer"
    https://www.floridaorchestra.org/eve...?event_info=50

His Genesis selection is quite different than Steve's- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/daryl-...-3bfc848c.html
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Now that I've been beaten senseless and before I crawl away into the weeds somewhere, I promise to reevaluate my position on this and give the material a fair and open minded listen. If my highly valued prog associates feel this strongly, maybe I to should ring the curtain back up.
    The older I get, the better I was.

1 st US date:
    March 3, Friday - Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo, NY

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Now that I've been beaten senseless and before I crawl away into the weeds somewhere, I promise to reevaluate my position on this and give the material a fair and open minded listen. If my highly valued prog associates feel this strongly, maybe I to should ring the curtain back up.
    No need to feel beat-up, my good sir.

But yes, please do check it out! It may be a nostalgia trip, but it's done with love and care.

Steve Hackett with The Buffalo Symphony Orchestra on March 3, 2017. That is a total no brainer. Ticket purchased months ago. That will be an incredible evening.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Speechless.

Puppet show on deck?

I hope this means we'll get Nick Beggs on the CTTE. I would love to hang out with him! Glad that he's available and not obligated to Wilson during those months.

Roine wanted to get out of the Hackett tours after having done that for a while, so I'm glad he's free now and can go where his muse takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Speechless.

Puppet show on deck?
    "Who is this guy? He's good"

"He used to play with Genesis."

"Who?"

"Phil Collins' band?"

"Oooh, yeah -- them!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I bought the Royal Albert Hall Blu Ray/CD -Its truly great for an occasional Friday or Saturday night spin when you're in the mood to hear these gems, the performances are pretty stellar from all involved. The audio discs are almost unlistenable to my ears though due to the overbloated bass - I love bass as much as the next guy - but this is so over the top it needs a remix IMO. Still, worth it for the BR alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Roine wanted to get out of the Hackett tours after having done that for a while, so I'm glad he's free now and can go where his muse takes him.
    Did he say that? Just curious.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

3 More Dates Added:
    Feb 17 : Friday
    Steve Hackett: 'Genesis Revisited with Classic Hackett' 2017 Us Tour
    Fri 8 PM ·
    New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC)
    Newark, NJ

Steve Hackett
    Thu 8 PM · Feb 23
    NYCB Theatre at Westbury
    Westbury, NY

BRE Presents Steve Hackett
    Fri 8 PM · Feb 24
    Santander Performing Arts Center
    Reading, PA

To be honest, I never had any interests in his or any other rehash material. I've seen some Youtube clips and seeing Nad and Steve were wonderful but didn't care much for the whole idea. If I want to hear the songs, just put on an album. But I must say, hasn't this cow been squeezed to the last drop?
    I get that. However, these live performances of this most special music has been just so damn good. Honestly, its likely they play this music better than Genesis did. We won't have many more opportunities to hear this being played live in our lifetime, at least not this good with the one and only Hackett who is still on top of his game. I, for one, am so appreciative that Hackett put this crack band together and that they play with such enthusiasm. Shit, it just doesn't get any better than this if you love this music.

This cow is very popular or the shows wouldn't go on..Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    This cow is very popular or the shows wouldn't go on..Duh!
    I've shelled out for this cow 5 times. And will do so again if I get the chance. Worth it.

NYC @ Playstation Theater, February 25.
    Dates announced on www.hackettsongs.com
    Last edited by Obscured; 10-13-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: oops, wrong date.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    NYC @ Playstation Theater, February 26.
    Dates announced on www.hackettsongs.com
    His site says the 25th, not the 26th.

Cool - a Saturday night.

still waiting for our Keswick date!

I'd see Steve and his band play any sort of set really, but these Revisited sets are highly enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    still waiting for our Keswick date!

I'd see Steve and his band play any sort of set really, but these Revisited sets are highly enjoyable
    Reading seems to be the only PA date!

His tours are always spectacular---his band always sounds amazing and this is the way to keep Genesis alive----it's not half assed ---his band is great and very powerful. I always go to see him because he doesn't disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Reading seems to be the only PA date!

still early i presume. this would be his 5th date here I believe?

if not I'd consider Newark or Reading. most likely the latter. the last Newark show I went to was the Yes show (w/ Toto); kind of a depressing venue.

Got tix this morning for Newark and NYC. Looking forward to both gigs...
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    His tours are always spectacular---his band always sounds amazing and this is the way to keep Genesis alive----it's not half assed ---his band is great and very powerful. I always go to see him because he doesn't disappoint.
    THIS. World class performance every time I've seen him.