Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: McLaughlin/Herring Meeting of the Spirits TOUR!

Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    rat tat tat..... a little much and Husband on drums?
    In Portchester, Ranjit Barot did break out the 'Konnakol' rhythmic syllable vocalizing a few times (familiar from JM's Shakti work), but I was disappointed that it never really was part of an interplay with JM or with Husband on violin (just once with the JH drummer, who did a 'call and response' bit with Barot)

I don't recall Husband playing drums at all! Maybe I just wasn't watching him enough....

He did a drum duel with Ranjit on one song.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Jimmy played guitar for Jazz Is Dead, a band that did Jazzy impressions of Gertful Dead songs. All the members of the somewhat revolving cast were crack musicians whose names would be recognizable to most here. I saw them play live once, and it was outstanding. They only made 3 albums, but I'd definitely recommend them, and I'm not a Jazz guy.
    I have the first one with Billy Cobham & T Lavitz, crazy good stuff and i'm not a Dead guy whatsoever.

Very envious of you guys who have a Herring/McLaughlin tour stop within driving distance (as well as King Crimson and Dixie Dregs).

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    great show last night in Boston

I liked the Keswick show but felt like it was way too long. I was not impressed with JM the only other time that I'd seen him (Crossroads 2008 maybe?). It seemed like a bunch of noodling from start to finish. Based on that, I probably wouldn't have gone to this show except that it's his last tour and due to the promise of Mahavishnu music to be played. This show renewed my faith in him.

First of all, let me say that all of the musicians were fantastic. I had never heard Jimmy Herring before. Super talented. However, I tired of his show after about 5-10 minutes. It seemed very formulaic. The band would get into a groove, and then the various musicians would take turns soloing over it. Technically impressive, but not much for me to connect with.

I liked JM and the 4th Dimension the best of the 3 sets. Of course it featured his lightning fast riffs, but they were great in the context of more expressive playing. He wasn't afraid to play slower, quieter, or with melody. His bass player was really strange. The guy wears gloves! (Does anyone know the story behind that?) And his bass playing was way over the top (at least during his solos). It was certainly a pleasure to see legendary keyboardist Gary Husband in the band. The drummer was also good, but his drum solos and scat singing became tedious.

The Mahavishnu set was good, but way too much soloing. I wanted to hear the songs, not a bunch of soloing similar to what we'd already heard for the past 2 hours.

Overall, I am glad that I went, but it could have been a really great 1:30 or 1:45 length concert instead of a 3 1/2 hour ordeal.

Second time seeing Herring and I feel the same way. Extremely talented but lacks what McLaughlin has - swing. It's those unique attributes that move you, making you wanting more. Santana, Gilmour, Beck, you know who they are.

Well here's a tune for you then!

There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

I am looking forward to 3+ hours in SF. And I think Jimmy is sublime, and he swings. He's got the chops, of course, but he also has a very melodic style, and is very expressive in the same way I find Jeff Beck a supremely expressive guitar voice.

For those wanting to hear "the songs," you know this is Jazz/Rock, right? I mean, the melodies get stated early on, and the bulk of the playing is going to be improvisation.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    His bass player was really strange. The guy wears gloves! (Does anyone know the story behind that?)
    taken from an interview here:
    http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2010/06...tienne-mbappe/

Lots of readers want to know… why do you wear the gloves when you play?

I wear black silk gloves because they keep my strings bright, and I really like the bigger and smother sound they provide.

And the second most popular glove question: how can you play and slap and still get that brilliant tone?

Not that easy to do, but I am used to it now! That took a lot of time and a lot of practice to get used to those gloves. And you know what? They are becoming more famous than I am with the not-so-easy-to-pronounce name, MBappé. Just say, “the bass player with the gloves”, and people will say “oh yes…”

Thanks! In addition to lots of talent, I like this guy's sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    And I think Jimmy is sublime, and he swings.
    I hope his wife doesn't read this.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The Newark show was great. The best part was the Mahavishnu music with both bands at the end. Three hours with only a short break. You will definitely get your money's worth.

I saw the tour as well and it was a truly magical show for me. I have seen John so many times through the years and Gary Husband as well who is just brilliant. Herring is a great player and I'm glad he and his band augmented the Mahavishnu set which was absolutely divine.

Saw the show in Indy last night. Hadn't seen McLaughlin seen 1971 with the Orchestra. I thought the show was great and the 3+ hours seemed to go really fast. Would agree the could trim down the drum and bass solos.

Saw the Ann Arbor, MI show last Wednesday and loved it. It was so satisfying I was on a musical high the rest of the week.

The Jimmy Herring set was great in that Jeff Beck/Eric Johnson style of instrumental guitar rock with jazzy soloing by all band members.

The McLaughlin/4th Dimension and Mahavishnu sets were white hot. I could've gone home happy after they played "Lila's Dance/Can't Stand Your Funk" but that was just the tip of the iceberg. McLaughlin had his tone dialed in all night with nary a foot pedal in sight. He still plays with the authority and fire of his youth. The crowd erupted when he broke out the doubleneck guitar for the Mahavishnu set. I might be wrong but I think they played at least one cut off each Mahavishnu album.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I might be wrong but I think they played at least one cut off each Mahavishnu album.
    At least at the show I saw (first night in Chicago) I don't think there was anything from Apocalypse or Inner Worlds, but they covered the other four albums.

Incidentally, at that show Herring opened his set with..."John McLaughlin," the tune from Bitches Brew. Nice idea although overall his set was enjoyable but didn't blow me away.

"A Lotus On Irish Streams" was a bit of a surprise in the combined set, in that they added a jam over a sort of shuffle groove to the middle.
    Last edited by pb2015; 11-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Well... that was quite the show. I'm still numb from seeing John live 6 rows in front of me - IN PERSON. One of my bucket list - crossed off! The man is nothing short of a Grand Master. Holy shit this will take a couple days to oooze out

I bet! I loved the show here in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I bet! I loved the show here in Atlanta.
    Zero pedals - all John making that tone sing! Man... blows me away how awesome he is with that. I could listen to him solo all day and night.

Did anyone else notice all the 4th Dimension members wearing the same shoes? They were black and had white trim. They must be special jazz shoes. Anyone know who makes them? They might make you swing.

Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    Did anyone else notice all the 4th Dimension members wearing the same shoes? They were black and had white trim. They must be special jazz shoes. Anyone know who makes them? They might make you swing.
    I'm pretty positive John was wearing black with white logo Nike's Didnt notice the rest of the band

Having never thought I’d see this music played again live, it was other worldly seeing it last night in San Francisco with wide open ears. John’s playing and tone were exceptional. He was dancing around and smiling like a little kid. Everyone was on fire. Two bands playing MO music! Man! Hoping for a DVD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was definitely one for the ages, for me......I grew up listening to the early stuff, but my first live McLaughlin experience was in the 80's with the Hellborg/Foreman/Bill Evans band (Which I loved, and still love, BTW). But seeing them do this live was fabulous. And John, I know you've got arthritis, and I am sad to hear you have pain, but man.....you are still playing, and sounding, FIERCE! Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love, indeed.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Went to the show on Saturday at UCLA's great Royce Hall. Had seats in the back row of the balcony, dead center, the sound was decent (could have been a little louder and cleaner). I'm going to echo Roylayer's comments from 4 weeks ago:

but felt like it was way too long
    To be honest, when I got the tickets, if I'd known it was going to be "An hour of Jimmy Herring" + "An hour of JM" + "1:40 of Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff", I wouldn't have bought tickets.

I had never heard Jimmy Herring before. Super talented. However, I tired of his show after about 5-10 minutes. It seemed very formulaic. The band would get into a groove, and then the various musicians would take turns soloing over it. Technically impressive, but not much for me to connect with
    Agree with this, though I loved his drummer Jeff Sipe, great to listen to.

Re: JM:

It was certainly a pleasure to see legendary keyboardist Gary Husband in the band. The drummer was also good, but his drum solos and scat singing became tedious.
    Yeah, the scat signing was cool the first two times he did it, after that not so much. And the drum solos, yikes. At one point, there was solos for Gary Husband, Jeff Sipe *and* Ranjit Barot and then a bash for two of them and........ZZZZZZZZZ, it seemed to last forever.

The Mahavishnu set was good, but way too much soloing. I wanted to hear the songs, not a bunch of soloing similar to what we'd already heard for the past 2 hours
    Absolutely. What was odd to me was how during the Mahavishnu Orchestra set, the two groups of would often switch off, so you'd have JM's band playing away and.....Jimmy Herring's band swigging water and adjusting their equipment. There wasn't that much interaction between the two bands and JM & JH were never on the same side of the stage together, very strange.

Overall, I am glad that I went, but it could have been a really great 1:30 or 1:45 length concert instead of a 3 1/2 hour ordeal
    Absolutely, 1:45 of Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff only would have been optimal. As I told my friend as we left "Well, that's my quota of 64th notes for 2018 then!".
    ...or you could love