Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Zappa Releases

Had to splurge for the boxed set with costume. In the true spirit of Zappa strangeness, I'm going to make my girlfriend wear the costume while I listen to the entire box set.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Well, that's certainly nice to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Since Gail passed away, prices on Zappa releases have dropped to a very reasonable level. From the links about Halloween 77 it appears it is $29.98 for the 3-CD, $79.99 for download (possibly lossy) of the six shows from Amazon or $99.98 for the USB set with lossless files of the six shows.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

It'll be the 3CD set for me...although if they do the same sort of multi show release for the 78 Halloween shows then I'll be getting the big one! Those shows are all amazing, especially when Shankar takes part.

Might not be an issue for anyone else, but I'm really hoping they have mixed in those epic Yo Mama esque synths on Black Napkins...I'm pretty sure they were overdubs for the film.

Matt.

3CD set, but I would've gotten the whole thing were it all on CD and not a thumb drive.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    3CD set, but I would've gotten the whole thing were it all on CD and not a thumb drive.
    ditto.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

^^^ x3. Note to Ahmet: study the business practices of DGM. People like big box sets with CDS IN THEM. Not costumes!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ x3. Note to Ahmet: study the business practices of DGM. People like big box sets with CDS IN THEM. Not costumes!
    I want a Fripp costume, circa 1973!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    A really dumb idea designed to save money, but clearly doesn't understand the audience. Really? Zappa fans want a thumb drive? WTF?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

♪ Show me your thumb drive if you're really dumb ♩

I whipped off her bloomers 'n stiffened my thumbdrive
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Thumb All Over
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A really dumb idea designed to save money, but clearly doesn't understand the audience. Really? Zappa fans want a thumb drive? WTF?
    I don't have a problem with the thumb drive--I can make my own CDRs from it if I really must have CDs--and the "Oh Punky" candy bar design is priceless. I'm just frustrated that the shelf space the format saves is wasted by including that stupid costume. And I'm too much of a dork to keep the drive and throw away the dross.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    ♪ Show me your thumb drive if you're really dumb ♩
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Thumb All Over
    Speaking of priceless!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Beat the Boots - Not!

Apparently they are offering downloads of the six shows too (although info seems limited/confusing at the moment). That is probably the option I'll take.

♪ Baby you can drive my thumb ♩

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Otherwise it would be a floppy.

I had 2 microSD cards die completely on me in the past 10 days or so, so if I got something on a thumb drive, the first thing I'd do is copy it and back it up someplace.

Halloween 77 released today. To my surprise, all six shows are on streaming services. (I expected them only to put the Halloween show there.) Sounds very good.

Halloween 77 released today. To my surprise, all six shows are on streaming services. (I expected them only to put the Halloween show there.) Sounds very good.
    As I mentioned on the Zappa Family Fussin' and a Feudin' thread, I managed to find a torrential copy of the whole set. I knew that wouldn't take long since they did us the courtesy of releasing the full set in digital file format only. I will have to imagine the cheap Zappa costume and box.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    As I mentioned on the Zappa Family Fussin' and a Feudin' thread, I managed to find a torrential copy of the whole set. I knew that wouldn't take long since they did us the courtesy of releasing the full set in digital file format only. I will have to imagine the cheap Zappa costume and box.
    Jed, you are such a clever and proud of yourself entitled hosebag. That’s how to stick it to THE MAN!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 10-20-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Jed, you are such a clever and proud of yourself entitled hosebag. That’s how to stick it to THE MAN!
    Good one.

Gotta be honest, and this might be weird coming from me, but I have almost little-to-nil desire to hear this new one. I dunno, maybe I'm kind of burned out on these tunes, and the repetition of the "same" show 6 times (or whatever) seems a bit overkill, even for a FZ fanatic. I'd much rather spin some other FZ that I am less familiar with (like Dance Me This), or the new Schnellertollermier to be perfectly honest. I Hope I don't get my FZ membership card revoked, but I'm just not feeling it. If there is one single aspect that would interest me on this, its FZ's solos.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The only song I've listened to so far (on Spotify!) is Camarillo Brillo from the first night, and it seems a little fast, like either the tape is sped up a bit or Frank just wants to rush it and get it the hell out of the way. The track list for these shows seems to have a bit of a "greatest hits" quality, so maybe Frank was sort of on auto-pilot (for him)?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The only song I've listened to so far (on Spotify!) is Camarillo Brillo from the first night, and it seems a little fast, like either the tape is sped up a bit or Frank just wants to rush it and get it the hell out of the way. The track list for these shows seems to have a bit of a "greatest hits" quality, so maybe Frank was sort of on auto-pilot (for him)?
    About two-thirds of the show was new material that would appear on Sheik Yerbouti. There were some "hits" like Camarillo Brillo that he did have the band play very fast.

About two-thirds of the show was new material that would appear on Sheik Yerbouti. There were some "hits" like Camarillo Brillo that he did have the band play very fast.
    Thanks, not too up on the release years of the albums.