Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miles Davis RIP 25 years later...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    What do you call the "lost quintet", btw?
    Shorter, Corea, DeJohnette, Holland

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Davis-Q.../dp/022618076X
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

yeah, KoB is in a class by itself and yes, it's not bop (or post-bop, FTM)
    As for the 2nd quintet, unless mentioning Miles in The Sky (or Kilimanjaro to a lesser extent), most of them are pretty close to each other , but I did save a second possible spot for that era... and didn't give a suggestion either
    Yes, I'm not versed on 80's Miles, but it seems that for a small selection of essential albums , giving one is more than enough, right??

What do you call the "lost quintet", btw?
    The lost quintet was so-named because Columbia failed to record them. The only "official" releases were recorded by Sony Japan (note that Sony did not own Columbia at that time, so there was no affiliation between the two companies). There are a ton of bootlegs worth checking out, however. Of course, one of the volumes of the Bootleg Series covers that period, but not extensively.

Isle of Wight 1970 is absolutely killer. The band is Gary Bartz, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea. The DVD that contains the full performance has THE coolest walk-off I've ever seen a musician do:

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Electri.../dp/B00069FKN2

"Kind of Blue" is what most call "modal bop" or some such - it is called that because the musicians were improvising over modes rather than chord progressions. I've heard the 2nd great quintet's music called "post modal bop". Whatever it's called, it is the least dated of Miles' acoustic eras, and continues to influence jazzers today. In my view, "Miles Smiles" is a notch above all of the other recordings by this band. The music allowed for more freedom outside of pre-determined chord structures. In other words, that band often went "out" without overtly appearing to do so. By the time the "lost quintet" was touring in 1969, the music sounded more "out" than ever.

As for 80s Miles, I'd say "We Want Miles" is essential (I will always contend that Mike Stern was more raunchy with Miles than Scofield was). From the Warner Brothers years, "Tutu" is considered essential as well.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Isle of Wight 1970 is absolutely killer. The band is Gary Bartz, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea. The DVD that contains the full performance has THE coolest walk-off I've ever seen a musician do:
    Moreira is chopped liver?
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n...wight-70_music

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Given that he told Corea to fuck off with his scientology nonsense only a couple of years after this, at least Chick thinks so.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    The trouble with Miles was he was always changing - as were the lineups in his bands - the 'fusion' albums alone (I prefer electric Miles) offer you bands with Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Joe Zawinul together and separately.
    If you limited yourself to IASW, BB, OTC you would be concentrating on a rather tame side to his music compared with the intensity of the Shorter, Corea, Holland, De Johnette band (the so-called Lost Quintet) or the sheer fury of the Pangaea band - although Pangaea and Agharta were actually recorded on the same day they each explore different territory and should not be overlooked.
    And what about Get Up With It - my favourite Miles album (closely followed by Big Fun) - a unique album with influences as diverse as James Brown and Stockhausen - an album which had a profound effect on Brian Eno for its static ambient textures.
    I stick by my suggestion of 20 albums as a minimum - jeez that works out at only about 1 for every two years of his recording career.
    Well jazz is known for mixing line-ups and sessions on the same discs... the concept of albums didn't exist (in any music style) in the sense that it started to emerge around 65 to 67

I love both Pangeae and Agharta, but they're both a result of the IASW, BB and OTC, right. And maybe we should discuss Black Magus as well, while we're at it??

So yeah, we're faced with a difficult exercise to compile Miles in a few (anywhere between 5 and 10) albums, as I seem to remember the OP...
    Would Agharta deserve a spot in those 5? Certainly not IMHO... in the selection of 10, most likely (though this is again IMHO)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    The lost quintet was so-named because Columbia failed to record them. The only "official" releases were recorded by Sony Japan (note that Sony did not own Columbia at that time, so there was no affiliation between the two companies). There are a ton of bootlegs worth checking out, however. Of course, one of the volumes of the Bootleg Series covers that period, but not extensively.

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Electri.../dp/B00069FKN2

"Kind of Blue" is what most call "modal bop" or some such - it is called that because the musicians were improvising over modes rather than chord progressions. I've heard the 2nd great quintet's music called "post modal bop". Whatever it's called, it is the least dated of Miles' acoustic eras, and continues to influence jazzers today. In my view, "Miles Smiles" is a notch above all of the other recordings by this band. The music allowed for more freedom outside of pre-determined chord structures. In other words, that band often went "out" without overtly appearing to do so. By the time the "lost quintet" was touring in 1969, the music sounded more "out" than ever.
    OK, Lost Quintet is post BB

Never heard of Modal Bop, though, but yeah, this could fit KoB... moreso than the ESP/Smiles/Sorcerer/Nefertiti/Kilimanjaro era - I'm leaving out In The Sky for reasons evident to me, but maybe not everyone else >> I find it to be IASW's precursor or big brother - which I would more than likely call Post-bop, rather than Modal Bop (for me, Modal is best exemplified by Trane from Olé to A Love Supreme)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    maybe we should discuss Black Magus as well, while we're at it??
    Is that the one that came out a few years after Dark Beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Is that the one that came out a few years after Dark Beauty?

OK, Lost Quintet is post BB
    Pre- and post-. And with Shorter.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes