Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd: The Early Years 1965-1972 Box

The original Burning Shed offer was $527.04 and that included shipping to the USA. Current price from Amazon to my home in WA state (WA sales tax) is $533.66
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Holy crap! I just ordered the box. With shipping from Amazon it was $521. Shipping was free (prime - it will be here Monday) but tax pushed it over $500. But I made sure to order using Amazon.smile so that a small percentage goes to the charity I've chosen. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Even though I've heard/seen a lot of this material via bootlegs, Brain Damage VHS compilations, etc, I decided I needed to own and see the physical set. My older son will be pleased to inherit it one day...

^Hero.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I've resisted purchasing the big box thus far thinking i really don't need the printed stuff, the vinyl, the movies More and La Valee. Should I pick up the separate boxes or splurge for the big box? What I am really missing if I go with the separate boxes?
    Be entranced...

As usual, I'm on board with everything in this set except the inclusion of vinyl, which just seems like it's one of the pieces of reproduced ephemera in the set. I don't really have a problem with the reproduced ephemera, but including obsolete (to most people) media is a bit silly. I'd prefer to just see single artwork in a booklet as opposed to useless (to most people) media.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Be entranced...

As usual, I'm on board with everything in this set except the inclusion of vinyl, which just seems like it's one of the pieces of reproduced ephemera in the set. I don't really have a problem with the reproduced ephemera, but including obsolete (to most people) media is a bit silly. I'd prefer to just see single artwork in a booklet as opposed to useless (to most people) media.
    The really annoying thing about "vinyl" reissues in the box, is that even for those who do have the equipment, the 45’ singles are useless- who would put one song on the turntable from an album oriented band like floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    The really annoying thing about "vinyl" reissues in the box, is that even for those who do have the equipment, the 45’ singles are useless- who would put one song on the turntable from an album oriented band like floyd?
    Yeah, right? Stupid, IMO. It's like a 45 single is some kind of prize, but I had plenty of 45s in my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Buying the separate boxes are cheaper, and will save you from owning everything you listed
    Thanks. Reviewing all of the track listings I arrived at the same assessment but needed a gut check before I take the plunge.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Hero.
    Aw shucks! Also, my son has really been wanting to see More and La Valee, so now we can watch them. For some reason they're hard to find streaming. They've always sounded pretty dire to me, but what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The 68 box doesn't really feature Syd at all... It's main flaw is that it consists mainly of the Saucerful album and a couple of leftovers from Piper, so gave them a limited a set-list, so you're bombarded with half-dozens of version of four or six tracks.
    Of course you are correct. I have the Early Singles from the Shine On box and Relics, so several of the non album tracks are there. There are a couple of tracks that I would like to have live (Paintbox, Bike, Remember A Day) and a couple of others but multiple versions of some tracks like Let There Be More Light, which is here 5 times plus 3 times in 4 tracks at one point, is a bit much. I guess I will check it out to see if the different versions warrant all being on the box, or are they just filling space.

That said, if someone asks me for an idea on what I might want for Christmas or my birthday, I have a good idea what my suggestion may be!

This might be a dumb question, but why isn't the Pompeii film included in the box? Because the CD wasn't even meant to be included and there's a rights issue?

EDIT: My set just arrived! Haven't looked inside yet, but came close to throwing out the replacement CD in the white sleeve because it wasn't in the box, but in the big plastic bag that the box was in. Anyway, I'm glad it's there as according to Wikipedia some sets were delivered without them and the label wasn't sending them to those who didn't get them.

Fondlage to follow shortly...
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-25-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Holy crap! I just ordered the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Hero.
    Nobody mention the Steve Hillage set. Actually, that costs less, doesn't it? And I only own like two Steve Hillage albums...

Disc one of the 1969 set is pretty fun/kin' knasty. Re/ALLY GREAT.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I can't believe I haven't bought this
    just too expensive
    these are items I would never have thought I could miss
    same goes for Hillage
    damn

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    If it helps you make a decision on which ones to purchase, I wrote up a rediculously long walk-through/review of the whole box, broken out by each of the seven "sub-sets":

http://eichler.byethost11.com/Music/...arlyYears.html
    So regarding the quality of the BBC stuff
    Erez (flytomars) stated elsewhere there are bootleg versions floating that sound better then this
    anyone directly compare this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    just too expensive
    I agree. Frankly going on the description, I could probably do without much of the footage*, the audio had the most interest. I would have preferred if the audio had just come out separately, it would presumably have reduced the price dramatically.

*The 1970 disc looks the most interesting as there are longer performances, rather than just isolated, odds-and-ends clips (which are, sadly, all there is from most years).
    Last edited by JJ88; 09-26-2017 at 03:53 AM.

In the Beechwoods
    Man this sounds so good - what a shame this hasn't been finalized
    All in all this and Vegetable Man& Scream Thy Last Scream -all sound awesome fresh and vital not like some sad leftovers
    Man just to think wee they could have gone next if Syd was in form ....

^What I find interesting is the three songs you mention all have '2010 mix' credited. That leads me to believe they were all planned for inclusion on that Syd Barrett best of which came out in that year (An Introduction To). I wish they had been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Int...to_Syd_Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    So regarding the quality of the BBC stuff
    Erez (flytomars) stated elsewhere there are bootleg versions floating that sound better then this
    anyone directly compare this ?

T6BJ, you should try at least one small boxset (roughly 35 to 45 £$€ for one, depending on the year) to see if you don't need the others

Fuck the big thingie, go for the individual ones.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just had a quick look through and fondle. I have to say, the recreated ephemera is pretty cool and fun to read/look at. Makes me wish I'd been born about 12 years earlier and in London! For a big ole box set of such a psychedelic band, it's a shame the box itself and individual sets are so graphically uninteresting - is it supposed to resemble the Tea Set's van? 'cause it does. Oh well, if it was more colorful my wife would be more likely to notice it. Unlike the mammoth Neil Young Archive I box, while it's big it's also fairly well thought out and made. But still, mother, did it have to be so high?

But still, mother, did it have to be so high?

This was one of my reasons for forgoing the big box and buying (most of) the individual sets instead. As I mentioned in the Grateful Dead thread, I am struggling with the sheer bulk of the box sets coming out these days--a wonderful wealth of archival material, but I am just running out of room for it all. I would have liked to have had the material on the box-only bonus set, but enough is enough.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I have the box and recommend to buy separately: the bonuses on the last disc are hardly essential, and the blu ray movies have no subtitles so are useless for me (I have the committee movie elsewhere)
    Regarding the BBC sound quality- there was a thread with a complete breakdown track to track, the conclusion was that there are some tracks which are marginally better on the boots, some better on the box, apart for the first session from 67 (which is on the bonus disc) which sounds much better on the boots made by the harvested group.

^I heard 'Matilda Mother' on BBC Radio 2, who did an hour-long sampler of sorts when these came out, and there was a huge difference in quality from what I'd heard before. Why was this isolated on the bonus disc of the box??

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I heard 'Matilda Mother' on BBC Radio 2, who did an hour-long sampler of sorts when these came out, and there was a huge difference in quality from what I'd heard before. Why was this isolated on the bonus disc of the box??
    According to Wikipedia, the 2010 "mix" is on volume 1. Not sure what the bonus disk is, but for the 2-disk compilation from the box, it lists Matilda Mother but doesn't say "2010 mix." Maybe the it's the original mix? I didn't realize those early singles had been remixed - WTF?

Does the box include that compilation? Again, I'm not sure what you mean by the Bonus Disk.

just getting around to listening to all this stuff

that John Latham sequence is SICK

like the freakiest of Kraut Rock artists from 1971

no semblance of form or coherency AT ALL
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on this set, and it arrived today. I'm listening to the discs out of sequence, I guess, starting with the 1968 disc. Great to finally hear Point Me At The Sky and It Would Be So Nice in full fidelity. Yeah, I know, they were both on the early 90's Shine On box, but I never got around to getting that, so this is really the first time I've heard those two songs where they were coming from some surface noise laden vinyl rip.

NP: Roger's Boogie

Looking forward to devouring this entire set over the course of the next few days!