Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Big Six: Incomplete Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You sure you don't mean 1313?

good one...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pink Floyd-nothing after DSOTM
    Jethro Tull-nothing after Living In The Past
    Yes-nothing after Fragile
    Genesis-nothing after The Lamb(i have the early studio and live boxes)
    ELP-nothing after Pictures at an Exhibition)
    King Crimson-lots of gaps,lots of cds
    Last edited by walt; 09-28-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

PINK FLOYD - Almost all, missing More and Endless River.
    KING CRIMSON - Complete studios + various lives
    JETHRO TULL - Everything
    GENESIS - Just have the Gabriel era, except for the debut. Have files for Trick of the Tail
    ELP - Missing everything post Brain Salad Surgery
    YES - Only have Time and a Word, Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Topographic, Relayer and Tormato.

Yes - Yes West (just gross)
    Genesis - that awful debut
    Pink Floyd - nothing after The Final Cut
    Jethro Tull - nothing after Under Wraps
    ELP - Works Vol. II was it for me
    KC - have it all, love it all
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Pink Floyd-nothing after DSOTM
    Jethro Tull-nothing after Living In The Past
    Yes-nothing after Fragile
    Genesis-nothing after The Lamb(i have the early studio and live boxes)
    ELP-nothing after Pictures at an Exhibition)
    King Crimson-lots of gaps,lots of cds
    That's fairly extreme...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Big Six: Incomplete Collection

Yes - 45/15 - I seem to have bought these suckers at least three times! I could actually survive with the run up to Drama, but would lose Tormato.

ELP - considered my collection complete at Brain Salad Surgery

GG - I never picked up The Missing Piece or G4AD

Genesis - everything except the first through to ATTWT, which I dislike. Just never considered them the same band after that. I do have a triple best of with the singles on, I never play it.

Tull - Heavy Horses is probably the last one I bought. I wanted to get TAAB2 but figured it would not hold a candle to the earlier one.

Floyd - Stopped at The Wall but have the Echoes collection and a few later live releases with other tracks on.

Krimson - Not much after the 80's trio, complete until there though, have a DVD of Dejavroom and will pick up the new set as enjoyed the gig a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll play...

Pink Floyd - I own zero
    YES - I have everything up through Drama, nothing after.
    Genesis - I own everything up to Wind and Wuthering, nothing after.
    ELP - I own everything through Works Vol 1, nothing after.
    Jethro Tull - Nothing past Storm Watch.
    King Crimson - considering everything they've release, I'm probably missing a lot. I do own every studio album they've ever release.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Counting studio albums only:

YES - Everything but Big Generator. Tales, Tormato, Drama 2x.
    KC - Everything.
    Genesis - Everything up through Abacab.
    ELP - I've got that 5 cd box + Tarkus + Works 1.
    Tull - A lot of gaps: I'm missing Passion Play, Too Old, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch, Crest, Rock Island, Catfish, dot.com.
    Floyd - Everything up to DSOTM. Nothing after.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Counting studio albums only:

Floyd - Everything up to DSOTM. Nothing after.
    No Animals? It's likely their best or one of their best.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    No Animals? It's likely their best or one of their best.
    Or even WYWH!

^^^ WYWH is probably the album I have tried to "get into" more times than any other record ever. Since about 1980 every 5 years or so I borrow it from someone (or YT more recently) and try to sit through it. Still hasn't clicked. I know that most everyone else on this planet loves it. Go figure.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^ WYWH is probably the album I have tried to "get into" more times than any other record ever. Since about 1980 every 5 years or so I borrow it from someone (or YT more recently) and try to sit through it. Still hasn't clicked. I know that most everyone else on this planet loves it. Go figure.
    What about Animals?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What about Animals?
    Believe it or not I've never heard Animals. I'll give it some YT listens over the next week.

Nearly every one is an incomplete collection. JT is probably the most incomplete: I only own Stand Up, Benefit, Brick, Passion Play, Songs from the Wood, Stormwatch and Nightcap. Genesis is probably the most complete, all the studio albums save for Calling All Stations (which I don’t intend to bother with) and both of the 70s live albums. Most of the rest I have collected “up to” a certain point.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Studio only:

Genesis, Yes, KC, Tull - everything
    ELP - nothing after Love Beach
    PF - all but More & AMLOR
    Tu veux un camembert?

As much as I really like Wish You Were Here, it can be a chore to get through in a listen.....The last couple "spins" I gave it were at the gym and on the track -- Even lifting weights or jogging still makes it an effort to get through....but, damn, its good ...For myself, its an irony

Believe it or not I've never heard Animals. I'll give it some YT listens over the next week.
    same with this one, although I think it moves a little "faster"

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    As much as I really like Wish You Were Here, it can be a chore to get through in a listen.....The last couple "spins" I gave it were at the gym and on the track -- Even lifting weights or jogging still makes it an effort to get through....but, damn, its good ...For myself, its an irony

I found Animals way more difficult than WYWH, to the extent that I rarely listened to it, but I picked up the reissue and it 'clicked' to the extent that I now put it in the #3 position of PF albums.

Animals is a difficult album. But now I rate it as highly as the ones either side of it. It's meant to be a cold, bleak record, although it's not relentlessly so- see the upbeat, rock-out finish of 'Sheep' and the 'Pigs On The Wing' bookends.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Nearly every one is an incomplete collection. JT is probably the most incomplete: I only own Stand Up, Benefit, Brick, Passion Play, Songs from the Wood, Stormwatch and Nightcap. Genesis is probably the most complete, all the studio albums save for Calling All Stations (which I don’t intend to bother with) and both of the 70s live albums. Most of the rest I have collected “up to” a certain point.
    I won't make any grand claims for Calling All Stations- it is by far their weakest album IMHO. But seeing as you have the others...I do like the title track, 'Uncertain Weather', 'The Dividing Line', 'There Must Be Some Other Way' and the 2nd half of 'Alien Afternoon'. It's worth having for those strong handful of songs, even though there are some issues with early fade-outs and questionable arranging.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I found Animals way more difficult than WYWH, to the extent that I rarely listened to it, but I picked up the reissue and it 'clicked' to the extent that I now put it in the #3 position of PF albums.
    Indeed, most of the mainstream will click instantly with WUWH, whereas the same crowd will go WTF (spooked out) to Animals

Oddly enough, half of Animals (Dogs, Sheeps) was originally intended for the DSOTM follow-up, but had they included them, they would've demolished WYWH's cohesiveness and coherence

My point was: they are both difficult albums....but they are both good(to me).....a strange and unusual irony