Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Six: Incomplete Collection

The Big Six: Incomplete Collection

Following on from the thread about your first from the 'Big Six', how about the gaps in your collection? Studio or part-studio only.

PINK FLOYD - 2 out of 15
    Atom Heart Mother, The Final Cut
    KING CRIMSON - 3 out of 13
    Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, The Power to Believe
    JETHRO TULL - 4 out of 21
    War Child, Too Old To Rock ‘n’ Roll: Too Young to Die, J-Tull Dot Com, Christmas Album
    GENESIS - 5 out of 15
    From Genesis to Revelation, Duke, Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch
    ELP - 6 out of 9
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Works Volume 1, Works Volume 2, Love Beach, Black Moon, In The Hot Seat
    YES - 10 out of 21
    Drama, Big Generator, Talk, Keys to Ascension, Keys to Ascension 2, Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, Magnification, Fly From Here, Heaven & Earth

Might get round to plugging some of these gaps, but not sure if I'll ever achieve totality.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not so concerned about what I don't own, but I've still never heard the first Tull and the first two Yes albums. Also not heard all of either of ELP's Works albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not so concerned about what I don't own, but I've still never heard the first Tull and the first two Yes albums. Also not heard all of either of ELP's Works albums.
    I'd stick with the Tull (very different but definitely a lot be exists between it and Stand Up) and Yes; I've tried to like ELP's Works stuff since it came out and, beyond the occasional decent track that still never reaches the heights of their1970-74 period, it's been a complete failure.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Genesis - All
    Tull - All
    Yes - All - except the last one
    GG - All
    Pink Floyd - All
    ELP - All
    Crimson - All

Albums I never owned or never heard(not counting live albums):

ELP- Works volume one, in the hot seat

Yes- Heaven and Earth

King Crimson- Thrak and any of the eps and projecKt albums and never owned any Fripp solo(I only heard Power to Believe and ConstruKtion of Light once or twice)

Jethro Tull- Stormwatch up to and including Underwraps (I actually have heard Stormwatch but never owned it but decided to include it here anyway). I also don't think I have Jtull.com but I have all the other later ones.

Genesis- Just the box sets(I've owned and heard everything else)

Pink Floyd-I have never owned that many but have heard all their studio albums(my uncle is a big fan and I used to borrow some of his. He actually gave me all of his old vinyl studio albums after he bought them all on cd).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 09-27-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Genesis - All
    Tull - All
    Yes - All - except the last one
    GG - All
    Pink Floyd - All
    ELP - All
    Crimson - All

Apparently you aren't missing a whole lot with H&E and you can listen to it on youtube if you're curious.

I certainly wouldn't call the missing album as "gaps" on my shelves, as I don't plan to buy what I don't have already

Genesis : I have nothing past Seconds Out (though I do have a compilation of stuff I like : mostly ATTWT, Duke and Shape's A-side)
    Yes: Nothing past GFTO (vinyl-only) except for the two KTA and Magnification (which I could do without)
    Tull: only TOTRnR missing until HH (yup recently bought APP and WC as remasters) and only Knave and RTB since (and Isle Of Wight of course)
    Floyd - I have it all from AHM to TFC, except OBC, but I have More). I've got a CD-r compilation for pre-AHM and only own TDB and TER since TFC
    ELP: nothing after Tarkus
    Crimson: all until Discipline (except Eartbound) and since: Thrakk, Vroom, TPTB and Toronto (oh yeah, I traded something and got Absent Lovers)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Of these bands? Yes' Heaven And Earth. There comes a point where the reviews are so consistently dreadful that you think, they can't all be wrong. I'll get it if I ever find it cheap, otherwise I won't. I also wouldn't have Open Your Eyes but I found it for 50p.

Quite a few Jethro Tull ones...I think I've heard dot com playing somewhere and thought, I definitely don't need that. I've always given Under Wraps a wide berth. Have not heard Anderson's recent solo albums- pretty indifferent reception on here.

Took me years to bother with ELP's In The Hot Seat as well, and when I did get it, it only cost £1 or something. I like three or four songs, the rest is as disposable as everyone says.

RE: live albums, although I've heard a few tracks here and there, I've never really listened to Seconds Out or Three Sides Live.

And I've still never heard a note of Open Your Eyes. I actually like Heaven and Earth though.

RE: live albums, although I've heard a few tracks here and there, I've never really listened to Seconds Out or Three Sides Live.
    I do own them in the box set though.

And I've still never heard a note of Open Your Eyes. I actually like Heaven and Earth though.

Open Your Eyes...I dig it out every so often. I hear the first couple of songs ('New State Of Mind' and the title track) and think, it's not so bad. Around halfway through, though, I have to turn it off...every single time. There's some really, really awful stuff among the other songs.

OK, I'll play:

PF - I have 70s output only....I always considered Pink Floyd a progressive rock band, not a progressive rock band.
    YES - I have the Complete Studio Discography (including ABWH)
    JETHRO TULL - None - I never prioritized replacing them since going all digital as I was never really a huge fan. I will probably get essentials sometime in the future
    GENESIS - I have the Complete Studio Discography
    KING CRIMSON - I have most of the Classic albums, missing some of the 80s, 90s,and both 00s albums
    ELP - Currently only own Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery, and (unfortunately) Love Beach....will get more in the future

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm a hopeless completest - even for my full collections - e.g., Genesis - I have the U.S. Box Sets, Japan mini-lp CDs from the 90s (that spells Genesis when you place them side by side), Japan Boxes from five years ago (the green red and blue boxes - was tempted to buy the subsequent boxes with the original artwork but each box is over $100), the original CD releases and some of the charisma cropped artwork of the 70s CDs.

Floyd and Genesis I've had all the studio albums but not all the live albums.
    The only Tull I've owned (besides compilations) is TAAB
    I never owned anything ELP did past Works Vol. 2 (but everything up to it)
    All Crimson studio albums till Discipline, the ProjeKCts box, some live albums and TCOL but none of the others.
    Yes...wow. Never had the first two, anything between GFTO and Drama, or anything after 90125 except Keys To Ascension and Open Your Eyes (it was their brand new album at the time, so I bought it)
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

PF- pre DSOTM
    ELP- Welcome Back, Works 1,2, Works live, Love Beach
    KC- everything after Red
    Yes, 1, TAAW
    Genesis- 3, Abacab, Duke, CAS
    Tull- Minstrel thru Under Wraps

ELP - complete.
    GENESIS - missing Abacab (although I did own it briefly) and everything subsequent.
    JETHRO TULL - complete.
    KING CRIMSON - complete.
    PINK FLOYD - missing The Division Bell.
    YES - missing Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, Heaven & Earth.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pink Floyd - 14/15 - own everything except TFC (I did own it and got rid of it)
    King Crimson - 15/15 - own Everything including a couple of dozen live albums
    Yes - 5/19 - only have Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, Relayer, GFTO
    Genesis - 5/15 - only have Trespass, NC, SEBTP, TLLDOB, Foxtrot
    Jethro Tull - 6/22 - Aqualung, SFTW, TAAB, Minstrel, PP, HH
    ELP - 2/10 - Tarkus, BSS
    Univers Zero - 13/13
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pink Floyd - 14/15 - own everything except TFC (I did own it and got rid of it)
    But you kept AMLOR??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But you kept AMLOR??
    It was a momentary lapse of reason.

I don't mind A Momentary Lapse...The dodgy 80s sounds and a few iffy songs on the 1st side are the only things really wrong with it IMHO. There's quite a few good songs on it. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the likes of Open Your Eyes, Love Beach, In The Hot Seat etc.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    But you kept AMLOR??
    Yes, but I probably haven't played anything off it in over a decade.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Limiting to studio albums only

PINK FLOYD - don't own anything past The Wall, except for The Division Bell
    KING CRIMSON - don't own anything past Red
    JETHRO TULL - don't own anything past Stormwatch
    GENESIS - don't own anything past Wind & Wuthering
    ELP - don't own anything past Brain Salad Surgery
    YES - don't own anything past Going For The One, except for Drama

Won't buy something I miss. My collection feels complete with the albums I already own by these bands.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Univers Zero - 13/13
    You sure you don't mean 1313?

My list:

Genesis - Own everything including all boxed sets, DVDs (and even all solo releases apart from a couple of Mike & The Mechanics, the PG cover song albums from a couple of years ago, and anything to do with Phil/Disney.)
    Yes - Own everything including all DVDs and official live releases
    Jethro Tull - Own everything including all recent Wilson-mixed boxes, DVDs, EPs, b-sides, compilations, etc...
    King Crimson - Missing quite a bit, considering their huge output. I own all albums from the debut through to Thrak, and the ProjeKCts 4-CD boxed set. That's it...
    Pink Floyd - I don't own The Final Cut, The Endless River, or any of the live albums. I do have Pompeii though.
    ELP - Don't own anything past Works Vol. I, and I have the first two live albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

But you kept AMLOR??
    There are those of us who rate AMLOR wayyyy above TFC.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm a hopeless completest
    It's a disease isn't it.