Thread: I Saw Two Great Bands Last Night

I Saw Two Great Bands Last Night

I'll preface this by saying that if bands like Bent Knee, MoeTar, Half Past Four, District 97 and any others in that ballpark don't do anything for you, close this thread & move on.

I know that one of these bands has been mentioned on PE before, but after seeing them live I'm sure that they would kill at a prog festival. That band is Lake Street Dive. Their lead vox reminds me at times of Moorea D. from MoeTar, but with slightly different priorities. To call her soulful & funky is almost an understatement. Their 4 part harmony (from a 4 piece band) gave me chills. I was blown away.

Their opener was a wildly entertaining and quirky band from Brooklyn called Rubblebucket. They also feature a jazzy, funky female vox who also plays baritone sax, along with both a trumpet & a trombone player in addition to a keyboard-less rhythm section. I think that they too would appeal to a lot of prog people.

They're both all over you tube, so as a result of recent discussions here on the board, I'm not embedding vids.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't know either band, I'll check out samples when I can. Thanks for the tip.

Bill

My daughter is a HUGE rubble bucket fan, she turned me on to them...they are indeed F.U.N. to see in concert! I'll have to look into Lake Street Drive! Thanks for the heads up and glad yo had fun!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that if bands like Bent Knee, MoeTar, Half Past Four, District 97 and any others in that ballpark don't do anything for you, close this thread & move on.

I know that one of these bands has been mentioned on PE before, but after seeing them live I'm sure that they would kill at a prog festival. That band is Lake Street Dive. Their lead vox reminds me at times of Moorea D. from MoeTar, but with slightly different priorities. To call her soulful & funky is almost an understatement. Their 4 part harmony (from a 4 piece band) gave me chills. I was blown away.

Their opener was a wildly entertaining and quirky band from Brooklyn called Rubblebucket. They also feature a jazzy, funky female vox who also plays baritone sax, along with both a trumpet & a trombone player in addition to a keyboard-less rhythm section. I think that they too would appeal to a lot of prog people.

They're both all over you tube, so as a result of recent discussions here on the board, I'm not embedding vids.
    Steve, what was the venue?

I remember this video:

which reminded me a little of NewVillager's video for "Lighthouse"

Just YouTubed some LSD and they are funkily delicious, thanks, PG. I respect what Bent Knee does but didn't connect as much as with LSD

Jed - The Majestic.

Glad some people are digging these bands. Lake St's singer should be heard by a lot more people. She's got it!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

My piano teacher was telling me about Lake Street Dive a year or so ago, and I meant to follow up on that but never got around to it.

Thanks for the reminder, Progeezer.

I like Rubblebucket, seen em twice. The singer-- young though she is -- recently got over a bad cancer.

Thanks for the tip on Lake Street Dive. The 2 bands are playing at the phenomenal sounding Troy Mysic Hall near me next week.

Love that Rubblebucket tune above.

Lake Street drive are awesome. Saw them at a free outdoor concert last year and was blown away. Lead singers voice is stunning. Amazing female bass player. And the guitarist/trumpet player is great two. I love their retro swing style. I would love to see them again.

Sry. I know it's dive not drive. Love their Jackson five Cover recorded live on the street.

Sry. I know it's dive not drive. Love their Jackson five Covery recorded live on the street.

OK....if The Geez suggests it, I am compelled to investigate on YouTube:

Rubberbucket was interesting. Quirky is a great description. They would be a fun band to see live.

Lake Street Dive I loved. They would fit very well at folk festivals, especially in the beer tents. Racheal Price has a KILLER voice.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

But but but, there aren't any good bands any longer!

Thanks for the list, Geez. I love all those bands you mentioned so I've got some investigating to do.

WAIT I've heard Lake Street Dive! A couple of friends of mine LOVE them. Excellent band - the real deal.

Stuff to check out! Thanks GeeZ!!!

neil

I spent 2 hours this morning watching live stuff of Lake Street Dive on you tube.

Imho Rachael Price of LSD has easily as much "blue eyed" soul as people like Daryl Hall or Annie Lennox, and LSD's music and harmony singing makes her even more appealing.

While Bent Knee has Berklee School of Music as their alma mater, LSD has the New England Conservatory of Music. For those at all put off by Courtney Swain's unique vocal style (I am not one of them!), you may want to listen to LSD, particularly if you like jazz and/or Motown.

I just had to post this. Check out David Letterman & Paul Shaffer's reaction at the end of the clip.

https://youtu.be/rHjLyWRfK1U

I just had to post this. Check out David Letterman & Paul Shaffer's reaction at the end of the clip.

Great performance, they bring it. Cool vibe. Turn up that bass, is the only thing I would ask.

Jefferson James

That was pretty cool, Geezer, thanks!

Great seeing all the love for LSD here - they probably deserve their own thread either on the main board or the OT space. They are indeed the real deal; excellent musicians making outstanding music together in real time with no artifice. I have a small connection, in that the bassist is an Iowa native and I had the good fortune to coach her at a summer jazz camp while in my previous life as a bassist/teacher. Not saying I had anything to do with her skills, which were already very good even as a high school student. She's a quality individual, and I've no doubt the rest of her bandmates are as well. Thanks for the post, Progeezer!!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.