Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Genesis- the non album tracks

So stupid that the 8-minute long "The Light" from 1971 didn't get included in the Green Box. So what if the sound quality was terrible? It's the only known recording, and the song is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tony Banks: "The Light" of course arrived when Phil first came in. We asked him if he had anything we could use, and he had this song called "The Light" with a slightly embarrassing lyric about Joe and Mary. It was to do with Jesus and was a bit kind of odd in that sense. It was quite a good melody so we constructed a big song around it. It had some good bits in the middle, the little triplet section... it was quite an interesting song. I don't really know why it didn't get recorded, too much material already I imagine.
    Most likely they mixed their older song ideas with his for this one. Would love to hear the (even if horrible sounding) demo of Movement (which I checked was only played
    once at a private party (Balmes' Dance) live).

Some other rare bit (part of which ended up as Compression on A small Days Creep (a b side of a single))
    (and Ant's Nightmare ain't that far away either)

Last edited by TheH; 11-19-2017 at 06:32 PM.

A few more from that early period that haven't been mentioned yet are Babies, Grandma and Stranger, all claimed to have been played live around that time. I've just been going through one of my books with a great interview with Banks, Rutherford and Phillips about this period. Fascinating stuff, haven't read it in a while!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    So stupid that the 8-minute long "The Light" from 1971 didn't get included in the Green Box. So what if the sound quality was terrible? It's the only known recording, and the song is fantastic!
    I had never pulled this up via Youtube but it's obviously an early version of Lillywhite Lillith.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiYa5v6XIbU

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I had never pulled this up via Youtube but it's obviously an early version of Lillywhite Lillith.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiYa5v6XIbU
    "Lilywhite Lilith" only reuses about 1 minute of "The Light's" nearly 9 minutes.

"Lilywhite Lilith" only reuses about 1 minute of "The Light's" nearly 9 minutes.
    You got me there.. I stopped listening at about the one minute mark..

That one minute of Lilywhite Lilith (the main riff and vocal melody) was the bit that I mentioned Phil brought in. He has mentioned it quite a few times over the years, as it was one of the few things he wrote for the band in the early days. Obviously when it was resurrected for The Lamb (when they needed material), PG wrote new lyrics for it to fit the story, but otherwise that piece is mostly Phil. The end bit was added new ("She leads me, in my darkness...") however.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

They reused or redid a lot of older stuff like

"I've Been Travelling All Night Long" (70) became "Rock My Baby" (71) became "Bye-Bye Johnny" (72) became "Can-utility and the Coastliners"

Some of those older versions can be found on YT. There was a much longer version of Can-Utility with a strong instrumental part on YT but
    I can't find that one at the moment anymore.

There's also a bit of The Light that was reused in The Colony of Slippermen. If I remember correctly, it's the rhythm played by the drums and bass when Peter sings "the raven brings on darkness and night".

Here in chronological order are the known demo and recording sessions that the band made between 1967-69 Jonathan Dann (Anthony Phillips archivist) is aware of, with details of tracks recorded and what is known to exist from these sessions based on conversations with Ant and Tony Banks. This is not a definitive list and other recording sessions that both Ant and Tony may have completely forgotten about may have taken place.

A word of caution: just because tapes exist of some of these tracks and they have not been released, this does not mean that (i) the recordings themselves are musically worthwhile and (ii) there is any prospect of them ever being released. It's worth bearing in mind that the recordings listed below that do still exist, that the band have, were considered and rejected for inclusion in the first Archive set.

April 1967 demos

Try A Little Sadness
    She Is Beautiful
    That's Me
    Listen On Five
    Patricia
    Don't Want You Back

Patricia released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. All the other tracks exist.

Summer 1967 demos

Try A Little Sadness
    She Is Beautiful
    The Image Blown Out
    Where The Sour Turns to Sweet

All tracks exist. Try A Little Sadness and She Is Beautiful released on Genesis Archive 1967-75.

Poorer quality copies of The Image Blown Out and She Is Beautiful (as "She's So Beautiful") released on a couple of CD re-issues for From Genesis To Revelation.

Sessions for first single, August 1967

Where The Sour Turns To Sweet
    From The Bottom of a Well

Recorded at Advision Studios in London, this was planned to be the band's first single but the release was shelved. Tapes believed lost.

Autumn 1967 demos

Sea Bee
    Hidden In The World of Dawn
    The Mystery of the Flannen Island Lighthouse
    Hair on the Arms & Legs
    Barnaby's Adventure
    From Shapes To Shadows
    Fourteen Years Too Long

The first four tracks released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tapes of the other tracks exist.

Central Sound demos, 13-3-68

Hey!
    I'm Here
    2:30 Park Time
    There Was A Movement

Hey! released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tapes of the other tracks exist.

Summer 1968 demos

Tracks recorded included:

Visions of Angels
    Everywhere Is Here
    A Place To Call My Own

Tapes lost. The version of A Place To Call My Own recorded here was the full song (circa 6 minutes long). The version of the track that was recorded for FGTR is just the end of the song!

From Genesis To Revelation demos, Summer 1968

One Day
    Where The Sour Turns To Sweet
    In The Beginning
    The Magic of Time
    Am I Very Wrong?
    In The Wilderness
    You've Got To Be Perfect
    Humanity
    There Was A Movement
    In Limbo
    Wandering
    Fireside Song

The first four tracks released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tapes of the other tracks exist.

From Genesis To Revelation sessions, Summer 1968

In addition to the tracks released on the final album, three complete tracks recorded during the sessions also exist:

Build Me A Mountain
    The Image Blown Out
    Visions of Angels

The first two released on Genesis Archive 1967-75

As well as these tracks, three extra short link pieces not included on the released version of the album also exist.

Summer 1969 demos

Tracks recorded believed to include:

The Movement
    Stranger
    Stagnation
    Little Leaf

Tapes lost.

Regent Sound demos 20-8-69

Going Out To Get You
    White Mountain
    Dusk
    Pacidy

Going Out To Get You and Dusk released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tapes of the other tracks exist.

"Genesis Plays Jackson" demos 9-1-70

"Provocation" (Not the band's name for this track)
    Anyway
    F Sharp
    Peace

Released on 1970-1975 box.

BBC Night Ride session 22-2-70

Shepherd
    Pacidy
    Let Us Now Make Love
    Stagnation
    Looking For Someone
    Dusk

First three tracks released on Genesis Archive 1967-75. Tapes of Stagnation and Looking For Someone also exist - recording of Dusk from this session is lost.

The missing singles

Going Out To Get You
    Wooden Mask

These two tracks are known to have been recorded as potential single releases in 1971 but the master tapes appear to have been lost.

Other song titles

Other titles of songs that the band rehearsed and/or played live from the early days that are known are as follows. As far as can be determined, recordings of any of these do not exist.

Cover versions:

Black Sheep
    Key To Love
    Do I Still Figure In Your Life

Group originals:

Babies
    Chobham Chords
    Classic
    Digby of the Rambling Lake
    Eastern Magic Boogie
    Epic
    Grandma
    Masochistic Man
    Moss
    Waterlily
    Winter Flies By
    In The Meanwhile

To me, Going Out To Get You / Wooden Mask is the Genesis Holy Grail (ok: ONE of the Holy Grails!)

So puzzling that it was recorded in a proper studio, then presumably *shelved* and not intended for release at the time, and then lost.

I have zero faith that the band (or whoever will control the catalog when they're all gone) will issue or reissue things properly, even if some these Genesis grails are ever located....

So how long was the summer 1969 demo recording of The Movement? Was it 40 minutes long as someone previously posted? If the tape is lost, from what source is this info from--just interviews with Phillips and Banks or are there recording notes also? Interesting that there is that much unreleased recorded stuff still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    To me, Going Out To Get You / Wooden Mask is the Genesis Holy Grail (ok: ONE of the Holy Grails!)

So puzzling that it was recorded in a proper studio, then presumably *shelved* and not intended for release at the time, and then lost.

I have zero faith that the band (or whoever will control the catalog when they're all gone) will issue or reissue things properly, even if some these Genesis grails are ever located....
    The only holy grail as far as studio recordings go, really. It doesn't seem like there's much else...and not surprising given the length of their albums, alongside all these non-album tracks.

'Going Out To Get You' in live form only has a slight similarity with that demo on the 1st Archive box. Nobody other than the band has a clue what 'Wooden Mask' sounded like.

It really is amazing that the first BBC session survived in great quality. That's invaluable because most of the songs never made it into the recording studio. (And 'Stagnation' has that funny 'join with me upon the quest for gold' ending.)

As for your last point, I am still angry (relatively speaking) at what they have done to their catalogue, phasing out the original mixes altogether. I find that the original 80s CDs which I mostly picked up for pennies (albeit without the album covers) are my go-to versions in most cases. Go figure.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-21-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Incidentally, I just ran across this listing for an upcoming book by (former band manager) Richard MacPhail about his years with Genesis:

https://www.mybookofgenesis.com

Might be of interest to some posters in this thread.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^^^ I tried to buy it but there is only address entries for Great Britain/Europe.

Do you know how to get shipping to the U.S. or Canada?
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^^^^ I tried to buy it but there is only address entries for Great Britain/Europe.

Do you know how to get shipping to the U.S. or Canada?
    Both Amazon USA and Amazon UK show it as currently unavailable with a release date of November 28, 2017.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Both Amazon USA and Amazon UK show it as currently unavailable with a release date of November 28, 2017.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Maybe Wilson will do a Remaster.....
    nope!
    Wilson only do remixes! ;-)

Many thanks to squonkduke for the summary of early recording sessions posted above - I found this to be very interesting.

I wonder if anyone has investigated the latest "50 years ago" release and worked out how the tracks on that fit into the sessions.

The full tracklist for that release ("digital only" currently I beleive) is as follows:

1 In Hiding (Vocals) 2:35
    2 One Day (New Stereo Mix) 3:29
    3 A Winter's Tale 7:38
    4 A Place to Call My Own (Vocals) 1:03
    5 The Silent Sun 2:14
    6 In Hiding (New Stereo Mix) 2:38
    7 On the Trail of the One Eyed Hound (New Stereo Mix) 2:39
    8 Where the Sour Turns to Sweet 3:25
    9 A Place to Call My Own (New Mix) 2:22
    10 One Day 3:22
    11 In Limbo 3:27
    12 Am I Very Wrong? 3:02
    13 The Serpent 4:02
    14 The Serpent (Vocals) 3:57
    15 The Silent Sun (Alternate New Mix)2:13
    16 The Conqueror 3:27
    17 Image Blown Out 2:48
    18 That's Me 2:37
    19 In the Wilderness 3:23
    20 The Window 3:34
    21 In the Beginning (New Mix) 4:23
    22 Fireside Song (New Mix) 3:38
    23 Where the Sour Turns to Sweet (New Mix) 3:29

btw there is a compilation of snippets from this release on YouTube if you're interested.
    Has anyone here heard the whole thing - I for one would appreciate a review/comments.

I've heard it. It was a nice listen but in no way a revelation!
    Not something I will return to very often.

The best way to listen to the 1st Genesis album IMO is the mono-version of FGTR because of the track order and the piano interludes between some songs that just fit. It was (probably still is) available as download on the Genesis Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just like they were 'playing' as a brass section in the No Reply At All video, quick-cutting to them for every note played. Why not show the Phenix Horns, since that's who they used on the track? Ugh... the 80s..
    Probably because the Phoenix Horns were unavailable when it was time to make the video. Course, they probably could have hired any trumpeter, saxophonist, and trombone player, handed them the track and said "Try to make it look like you're playing the part". But maybe they thought it would be "fun" to mime the horn section parts themselves and ham it up and act silly. Or maybe there was no budget to hire anyone else to be in the video.