Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAJ Review: U.K. Ultimate Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It was a priority to get it to the reviewers, which is curious as it is supposed to be sold out or nearly sold out.
    First, most artists reserve a certain number of copies of their releases for reviewers.

However, in the case of the U.K. box, AFAIK, only two reviewers received review copies of the box: me, and someone from, I think, Keyboard Magazine. So it wasn't like Eddie was sending out a whack of review copies while customers waited. I did get an early copy...and Eddie ultimately checked with me, when the box manufacturing issue was identified, to see if mind was ok or not. Fortunately, it was ok.

But it is always a priority, regardless of how many copies are sent out, for artists to get the music to reviewers before release date (if possible), so that they can get timely reviews. It's the way things work, and has no impact on whether or not it was sold out because, as I said, artists reserve a certain number of copies for review purposes.

Hope this helps explain. But I consider myself a very lucky guy to have been able to get a review copy....though I did have to sell Eddie on it. Fortunately, I'd already reviewed earlier UK reissues and had lots of other prog box set reviews to show him what I do with them, so he was amenable to it. But he did not reserve many copies for press (far fewer than most do, with the exception of very limited boxes, like the Family, Hillage, etc, where getting a review copy is close to impossible...so out comes the wallet!).

Thanks for the explanation, still looking forward to recieving it here.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Nice review! Finally got around to reading it now that I have my copy--I was waiting till I had it to read this. Very good rundown of the band's history.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Nice review! Finally got around to reading it now that I have my copy--I was waiting till I had it to read this. Very good rundown of the band's history.
    Why thank you! Better late(r) than never, right?
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

While reading Ed Chang’s new book on Allan Holdsworth music, I’ve really begun regretting not purchasing this box set.
    For those “in the know”, will there be another release of this set or are they downloadable versions available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been quiet for a while from the Jobson-front. Even on his Zealots-site there are just a couple of downloads available (piano transcriptions + The Green Album).
    Of course a couple of those live-albums are circulating on CD's from unofficial labels, but for me the one that is the most valuable to be released as stand alone album the early mix of the debut.

I don't know anything about the set. What makes the early mix of the debut interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I don't know anything about the set. What makes the early mix of the debut interesting?
    Said mixes are instrumental, and other details differ from the released versions, although the backing tracks are identical.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Said mixes are instrumental, and other details differ from the released versions, although the backing tracks are identical.
    I was expecting you to tell him to sock psychology on the jaw.

AAJ Review: U.K. Ultimate Collector's Edition

“Nevermore” was originally a Holdsworth instrumental titled “Sunday.” Wetton wrote some lyrics and the tune was rearranged a bit. A very enticing bit of history. I’d love to hear how that sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    “Nevermore” was originally a Holdsworth instrumental titled “Sunday.” Wetton wrote some lyrics and the tune was rearranged a bit. A very enticing bit of history. I’d love to hear how that sounded.

Sunday, from the Allan Holdsworth-Gordon Beck-CD "With A Heart In My Song" is on the album a bit longer that the clip above. The intro contains sounds from a bicycle, one of the things Holdsworth liked.

Another thing which doesn't appear in Chang's book is that Holdsworth produced Gordon Beck's solo-album "Dreams" a year after "With A Heart In My Song". Beck plays electric keyboards in all songs and is accompanied in four pieces by Rowanna Mark, who also sang on some records from Holdsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Here's a short example: Mental Medication

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Sunday, from the Allan Holdsworth-Gordon Beck-CD "With A Heart In My Song" is on the album a bit longer that the clip above. The intro contains sounds from a bicycle, one of the things Holdsworth liked.
    I believe the MP3TUBE clip above is just the Holdsy/Beck piece edited down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I believe the MP3TUBE clip above is just the Holdsy/Beck piece edited down.
    Yes, I think so too. I just wanted to mention the nice sounds of the bicycle - also reported by Ed Chang in the book b.t.w.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Here's a short example: Mental Medication

Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I don’t believe that is the same song structure as Nevermore from the U.K. (st).

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I don’t believe that is the same song structure as Nevermore from the U.K. (st).
    I never made that connection either. Chang writes a bit more specific "a reworked version of the opening section to Nevermore" (page 357).