Thread: New vinyl release of Pink Floyd's Meddle

New vinyl release of Pink Floyd's Meddle

Yesterday I stopped by Comeback Vinyl and picked up the newly remastered Meddle on vinyl. James Guthrie did the honors. There are several differences to mention outright. First of all, I've never thought the image for the cover looked quite right. It always seemed out of focus. That has been changed on this release. The outer cardboard also has a unique pebbled texture that is especially effective on the black and white pictures of the band in the gatefold. OH, the label is different. This album is on Pink Floyd Records, not EMI/Harvest.
    How does it sound? Well, let's just say I have had three different CD copies (including the MFSL) and two other traditional vinyl pressings (US and UK), and it clearly beats them all. The bass effects in the "bridge section" of One of These Days is nothing short of astonishing. There are several places in the mixes where Richard's keyboards are more prominent and better defined, but I also noticed Some of David's leads are more subtle, not as up front. The most telling factor was my ability to distinguish the lyrics . While there seems to be greater definition overall, it is not at the usual expense of taking away the warmth of the recording. Bass and drums are very strong. The transients are smooth and natural sounding with much less of the blurring I normally hear on vinyl.
    I had previously decided to bypass picking up the also new release of Atom Heart Mother, but the sound quality of this album has likely changed my mind.
    Bottom line - highly recommended.

Aren't these taken from digital files instead of the all analog route?

I couldn't say. They don't offer a free digital download like one of the recent vinyl reissues of DSOTM, so I tend to think the original analog master was the primary source, and possibly a digital master was made of that for purposes of remastering. I see nothing on the album about that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Aren't these taken from digital files instead of the all analog route?
    Yes and no. High res transfers were done of the masters (which I'm guessing are in various conditions at this point), then were remastered in the analog domain. Bernie Grundman did the vinyl mastering as well.

New vinyl release of Pink Floyd's Meddle

Picked up a copy of the Meddle reissue as well. Sounds fantastic overall, especially the bottom end -- agree that the bass is excellent.

The packaging is also first rate. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Score2112; 09-24-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Don't know how many copies my vinyl pop record store had but it sold out the same day. Fortunately my prog vinyl store still had a few. Does anyone know how AHM sounds?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Don't know how many copies my vinyl pop record store had but it sold out the same day. Fortunately my prog vinyl store still had a few. Does anyone know how AHM sounds?
    All of the reissues have gotten mostly good reviews. Basically the gist is that if you have NM-sounding original early UK pressings of each, no reason to get these, but short of that (and the money required to get one in NM-playing condition) the new ones are solid. I'm waiting for copies of AHM and Meddle to arrive. I don't have AHM, but I have an early Japan pressing of Meddle that I'll be comparing the new one to.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    All of the reissues have gotten mostly good reviews. Basically the gist is that if you have NM-sounding original early UK pressings of each, no reason to get these, but short of that (and the money required to get one in NM-playing condition) the new ones are solid. I'm waiting for copies of AHM and Meddle to arrive. I don't have AHM, but I have an early Japan pressing of Meddle that I'll be comparing the new one to.
    This is why I like reissues. If my vinyl copy of any album even begins to show some signs of wear, out it goes. Of course the things that you really want, especially prog, is hard to get. But, more vinyl is being generated and you always look for the analog sources first. I also don't mind original pressings if they have not been used. It's fun trying to locate those. Keep the reissues coming.

Also got a copy of the Obscured by Clouds reissue. Another great sounding release, with the original rounded-edge packaging.

The Floyd vinyl reissue campaign, so far, rivals the Zeppelin batch in terms of quality, sound and packaging-wise, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Picked up a copy of the Meddle reissue as well. Sounds fantastic overall, especially the bottom end -- agree that the bass is excellent.

The packaging is also first rate. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Every copy of this album I've had, I felt the same. The sound needed more bottom. Glad this has been corrected. The original album cover was out of focus. Added to it's charm and kept some people guessing. Think I like that one better.

Also got a copy of the Obscured by Clouds reissue. Another great sounding release, with the original rounded-edge packaging.

The Floyd vinyl reissue campaign, so far, rivals the Zeppelin batch in terms of quality, sound and packaging-wise, IMO.
    100% agree.

I have the recent vinyl re-issues of LZ II, IV, and Houstes Of The Holy. I would have to say Meddle exceeds them all in sound quality and vinyl quality.
    The cover of Meddle is also a step above the LZ covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I have the recent vinyl re-issues of LZ II, IV, and Houstes Of The Holy. I would have to say Meddle exceeds them all in sound quality and vinyl quality.
    The cover of Meddle is also a step above the LZ covers.
    The cover of Meddle is great. I personally cant say which are better to me ... yet.... but these are the first vinyl reissues I've been impressed with since the Zep output. (ive found the Sabbath ones to be subpar, in particular).