Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flairck 2.0

Flairck 2.0

Very interesting news - it will now be a blend of Flairck and Aranis, apparently, but it's a pity Eric Visser, Peter Weekers and Sylvia Houtzager are getting retired, I guess. So no more original members in the line-up.

OK dear Flairck friends from all over the world. Here are the breaking news!
    After many years of success, after over 22 albums published and after thousands of concerts performed all over the world, FLAIRCK opens a new chapter in its history and passes now the torch to a new generation.
    Guitarist, composer and bass player Pablo Patricio Ortiz, who joined the band back in 2007, now leads a brand new line-up of talented young musicians featuring the extraordinary bassist and composer Joris Vanvinckenroye and the three astonishing virtuous violinists Liesbeth Lambrecht, Mart Flecijn and Zhazira Ukeyeva.
    This new team of amazing musicians create a brand new FLAIRCK sound that, following the tradition of the band and with the guidance of the original founders Peter Weekers and Erik Visser, bring back the powerful energy, the instrumental acrobatic virtuosity and the band’s unique music style to project them into new horizons.
    The new FLAIRCK will start touring in the Netherlands with a brand new show in 2017. Stay in tune!
    Please welcome the new FLAIRCK! New faces, same spirit. As usual, something different. A new approach to old traditions.
    Flairck.jpg

I saw then WITH Erik Visser and Sylvia Houtzager less then two years ago.

No idea why Erik Visser is not part of Flairck anymore because he WAS Flairck for the majority of their lifespan. Someone on FB suggested that he was ill.

Well, Erik has been at the helm of Flairck since their inception in the 70s so I can't blame them for not wanting to be a part of the 2.0 and the many gigs that will follow. But still, for me Flairck without him won't be really Flairck somehow.

When I saw the post earlier today I already thought some of the names looked familiar but now I read here it is a 'merger' of Flairck and Aranis, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I saw then WITH Erik Visser and Sylvia Houtzager less then two years ago.

No idea why Erik Visser is not part of Flairck anymore because he WAS Flairck for the majority of their lifespan. Someone on FB suggested that he was ill.
    Yes, I also saw them in Sittard 2 years ago, the concert was simply amazing. And indeed, Erik IS Flairck, this is why I am somewhat skeptical about it. I mean, the music should still be great but probably the guys shouldn't call themselves Flairck anymore.

These guys always frustrated me... You would read about a new tour and a new show, see pictures from the show that looked like a excellent performance of new material and never see a CD to go with it... i.e. "The Battle" or "Steam Engine Waltz" and there were several others before that (names escapes me at the moment). wish they would have released more..

If you have never seen the DVD Circus Hiëronymus Bosch (Flairck & Corpus) from 2002, you are really missing a great show.

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'll check it out
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sylvia Houtzager wasn’t an original member. Judy Schomper was their original violinist.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The new Flairck will give their first public concert tonight in Sint-Niklaas, Belgium. For Belgians and Dutch people on this forum, you still can make it if you try. I am surely attending this event!

Silantyev a review afterwards would be greatly appreciated...

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Ok, so a quick overview of yesterday's concert.
    First of all, it turned out to be not just a Flarick concert but a Cluster one. What is Cluster? It is several Belgian composers forming a sort of union. I have seen couple of other Cluster performances in the past years, it was always good. This time, however, it has even succeeded my expectations.

First part of the concert was "Basta Duo!" performance. Joris VanVinckenroye plays double bass in duet with his wife and partner from Aranis Jana Arns on flute. Very beautiful music, where multiple sound textured are overlaid upon another using live sequencers (I am not sure if I'm calling this device).

Second performance was a trio of violin, cello and marimba, led by Ananda Roosens. It played very nice music as well, not sure how to characterize it. Mix of tango and waltz motifs with an avant garde touch and some experimentation. Very good!

Next was another trio lead by violinist Wouter Vandenabeele. He was accompanied by accordion and cello. Slightly less eccentric than the previous performance it would have been great but there were couple of serious sound glitches that marred the impression.

After the break the New Flairck came on stage. Actually, they do call themselves "New Flairck" but everywhere officially it's still just the old name. The set was not too long, about 45 minutes. It started with the new material actually, something that Joris composed. I think the new pieces were good but they still reminded me more of Aranis (albeit in a different arrangement) than of the real Flarick. Joris is a distinctive composer but part of it is that he can't (or simply doesn't want to) adjust his style to Erik Visser. After the three new songs the band played some old material, namely "Blind Dansen", "Oost-West Express" and "Gevecht met de Engel". All of them sounded organically in the new arrangement, I enjoyed them very much. There was another old tune for encore, and that was it. I wish it lasted longer... Surely will try to check out one of the other concerts comprising the full set - they are going to tour this year.

This is their current setup:
    Pablo Ortiz: guitars
    Joris Vanvinckenroye: double bass, guitars
    Zhazira Ukeyeva: violin
    Mart Flecijn: violin
    Liesbeth Lambrecht / Maria Shishova: viola

Normally it should have been Liesbeth but actually she was in labour yesterday, so pretty good reason not to be at a concert! She was replaced by a girl from Russia, Maria who blended in with the group quite organically.
    In fact, Flairck turns out to be really global enterprise now, with Zhazira coming form Kazakhstan, Pablo from Mexico, Mart who I think is a Dutch and of course Joris, Belgian guy.

To sum up, overall feeling from the new Flairck is very good, but one has to understand there will be no old band anymore. This is rather an off-spring, pursuing close, but nonetheless different direction in music. And all of the musicians are virtuosos, no doubt about that. I am very much looking forward to their new works!

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0287.jpg

It turns out I never posted this video!

Saw the new Flairck yesterday. A lot of new tunes, probably a lot written by Joris. One tune was a rearrangment of some basta tunes simply called 'Basta-suite'. He even did one tune solo with his loop station. Completely awesome.

For the rest some rearrangments of old Flairck tunes like 'variaties op een dame' en 'gevecht met een engel'.

The crowd was not really large (probably around 150) but they all seemed to appreciate the music. I know I did.

Progfestival organisers take notice!

Saw the new Flairck yesterday. A lot of new tunes, probably a lot written by Joris. One tune was a rearrangment of some basta tunes simply called 'Basta-suite'. He even did one tune solo with his loop station. Completely awesome.

For the rest some rearrangments of old Flairck tunes like 'variaties op een dame' en 'gevecht met een engel'.

The crowd was not really large (probably around 150) but they all seemed to appreciate the music. I know I did.

Got more chance to catch this in the NL than in Belgium IMHO, where Flairck is not a household name.

Do you know if they're planning a gig northwest of A'dam these days?? (thinking of Victorie in Alkmaar)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They're playing in Beverwijk on November 23.

They're playing in Beverwijk on November 23.
    Sounds like it's right on the way of my friday night transmute to Brussels

I'll look it up, thx.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Going to the show in Goes tonight - looking forward to this one!

Nice music, but what is the relation with the old Flairck?

If this would be Yes, everyone would argue they weren't deserving to perform as Yes.

I still remember my piano-teacher absolutly couldn't appreciate Flairck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post

Maybe because they were more or less introduced by Willem Duys?

Nice music, but what is the relation with the old Flairck?

If this would be Yes, everyone would argue they weren't deserving to perform as Yes.
    It's the same story as with Gong - I reflected about it last year as well... I think we'll see more and more of such bands - wouldn't be suprised if some big names of the bands would exist in a few decades as well... People will "carry the torch". I don't think we need to object about it, but it all should depend, IMO, on what the "new" band does with the "old" music. If they continue to develop it, create something new inspired by the old music (examples - Flairck, Gong), I very much welcome it! However, if they play note-to-note the pieces that were written many years ago - then they turn into a tribute bands. Yes, Black Sabbath - have long turned into the tributes to themselves. Not my cup of tea, thanks.

Maybe because nobody plays piano at Flairck?

I agree, the band is in top shape!
    Me and my wife were very impressed with yesterday's performance! I wish they would be invited to NOTP festival next year!
    Some pictures:

IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    Maybe because nobody plays piano at Flairck?
    No, she didn't like them, because the music was to light-weight.

She liked Pink Floyd and introduced me to Darius Milhaud, Bela Bartok and others.

No, she didn't like them, because the music was to light-weight.

She liked Pink Floyd and introduced me to Darius Milhaud, Bela Bartok and others.
    You can have a main course and a dessert, too. Flairck's music IS more light-weight, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    You can have a main course and a dessert, too. Flairck's music IS more light-weight, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I don't see either, but well, it was her opinion.

I think it is hard enough for this type of music to find an audience. If the name Flairck makes people listen to Joris Vanvinckenroyes' music then that is great for him and the audience.

The majority they play is new stuff, combined with old favorites in new arrangments. I thought seeing them live was a great night out.