Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #1651
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,049
    I don't know. In this day and age (post 1960s), I've never understood a guy asking his GF's father or parents for their blessing to marry their daughter. I mean, I appreciate that he's being respectful, I just don't get it. But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  2. #1652
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't know. But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    That might explain why you write so well on PE.

  3. #1653
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    That might explain why you write so much on PE.
    Corrected for accuracy.

    (and thank you)
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

  4. #1654
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,385
    Later that night, after Lian and Pete went home, my son shows me his cell phone screen on which Lian and Pete were calling to say thank you and show me the ring. The whole time I wasn't thinking "well that's nice" and "I'm happy for them"; I'm thinking, "Wow, this is just like the Jetsons! I'm talking on a visual telephone! The future finally is here!" Just like the Luddite geezer I am.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  5. #1655
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When this was noted he said, "just you wait guys. I turned 77 this year. Up until then I felt the same way I did in my fifties but something switched this last year and now I feel OLD. And it fucking sucks." Winter is coming and it ain't pretty.
    I had this Same conversation with a friend who will be 80 in November. Known the guy for the last 15 years.....single...and he had difficulty finding women who could keep up with him.....dancing, bowling, motorcycling. He said when he turned 75, it was like a light switch flipped....no weed but he takes copious amounts of Vicodin.....to be fair, he had his left leg ripped off in a race car crash in his 30's...they reattached it but it is 2 inches shorter now than the right. He also had one lung removed at 17....."the treatment" for TB back in the day in rural Olympia, WA. An amazing specimen but still....age can be a great equalizer.......He even has the centerfold of the ex-playmate he dated when they were in their 40's.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  6. #1656
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Later that night, after Lian and Pete went home, my son shows me his cell phone screen on which Lian and Pete were calling to say thank you and show me the ring. The whole time I wasn't thinking "well that's nice" and "I'm happy for them"; I'm thinking, "Wow, this is just like the Jetsons! I'm talking on a visual telephone! The future finally is here!" Just like the Luddite geezer I am.
    Wait until you get the email with instructions to download a torrent in order to obtain the wedding invite.

  7. #1657
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    455
    Provocative and thought-provoking article (from 2014):

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  8. #1658
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Wait until you get the email with instructions to download a torrent in order to obtain the wedding invite.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  9. #1659
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Classic! I always wondered why this character said "Uh, wha-a-a-a-at?" in such a soft voice, and the next scene he is yelling like some Jersey trucker.

    Yeah, Lopez... good luck!

  10. #1660
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    688
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Wait until you get the email with instructions to download a torrent in order to obtain the wedding invite.
    It could be worse. You could be instructed to RSVP via a website accessible only through the Tor Network, aka the dark web.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  11. #1661
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It could be worse. You could be instructed to RSVP via a website accessible only through the Tor Network, aka the dark web.

  12. #1662
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The next day....I was exiting my van kind of absentmindedly and caught my Grado earbud headphones in the door breaking one earbud in half! Ok....I just trashed a $300.00 headphone.......contacted Grado and they said to just send them in......Maybe we need to start a "Geezer-friendly" Business thread.....taking pity on us old coots.

    PS I backed into the cement base of the light pole.....no damage to it. I DID crush the trailer light plug mounted on my hitch.....but I have a friend who works at a trailer sales place and she'll replace it at cost.
    Those Grado earbuds GR8e are (almost) bulletproof! I wear them at least 2 hours / day at the gym and whenever I'm out using my yard equipment.....they have been yanked out of my ears and out of the iPhone countless times and the wiring never fails. They were in use these past three years until they met my van door.
    Just a follow-up....got the Hitch plug replaced.... $50.00. Grado just sent me NEW replacement GR8e! Now that's service! Either the old ones were too far gone or they don't bother repairing them....So, Kudo's to Grado for standing behind their product!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  13. #1663
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Provocative and thought-provoking article (from 2014):
    I read that when it came out and thought it was laughably short-sighted. That doctor, Ezekel Emanuel, insists he won't take any medical tests or accept any treatments when he is 75. He is 61 so will be 75 in the year 2033. He is going to reject all the cancer treatments and rejuvenation therapies that will be developed over the next 14 years?

    Oh, I don't think so.

  14. #1664
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    656
    So my wife is now officially also a "geezer". Phone call with my daughter:

    Daughter: Mom, are you listening to me? What are you doing there..?

    Wife: I'm looking for my damned cell phone - no idea where I put it!

    Daughter: Mom ... you're talking to me on your cell phone right now! <laughs>

    Wife: (Very uncharacteristically) Oh, for fuck sake!

    Daughter: <...could not finish the call, laughing too hard>
    Regards,

    Duncan

    This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

  15. #1665
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    So my wife is now officially also a "geezer". Phone call with my daughter:

    Daughter: Mom, are you listening to me? What are you doing there..?

    Wife: I'm looking for my damned cell phone - no idea where I put it!

    Daughter: Mom ... you're talking to me on your cell phone right now! <laughs>

    Wife: (Very uncharacteristically) Oh, for fuck sake!

    Daughter: <...could not finish the call, laughing too hard>


    And I always thought Ahrline & Oh, for fuck sake were mutually exclusive.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  16. #1666
    A problem I have with prog, it's seemingly turned into Lawrence Welk with a mellotron

  17. #1667
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    656
    LOL@Steve
    Regards,

    Duncan

    This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

  18. #1668
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I read that when it came out and thought it was laughably short-sighted. That doctor, Ezekel Emanuel, insists he won't take any medical tests or accept any treatments when he is 75. He is 61 so will be 75 in the year 2033. He is going to reject all the cancer treatments and rejuvenation therapies that will be developed over the next 14 years?

    Oh, I don't think so.
    Well, since he is in the medical profession, I think the implication is that in the absence of medical breakthroughs he plans to accept only palliative care, and not diagnostic tests which can only identify something that can be addressed but not cured, nor any treatment meant to simply prolong life without improving quality. He admits that 75 is an arbitrary number, and that there may be circumstances that arise that may change his outlook. However, the point he makes is still valid: that we as a society are obsessed with increasing the length of life with far less regard for that life's quality. The issue he doesn't address directly is euthanasia, which I firmly believe should be a basic human right.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  19. #1669
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Well, since he is in the medical profession, I think the implication is that in the absence of medical breakthroughs he plans to accept only palliative care, and not diagnostic tests which can only identify something that can be addressed but not cured, nor any treatment meant to simply prolong life without improving quality.
    If he meant that, he would have written it. He wrote that his view drives his daughters, brothers and friends crazy, so it isn't as if he hasn't had feedback.

    If you look at his wikipedia page, he is against euthanasia.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •