Page 61 of 238 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

AFIB questions ...

I've been in and out of AFIB for the past 10 years, mostly out. But about a year ago it went solid and hasn't gone away.

I don't want to do the shock, because that's not a permanent solution. The doctor suggested looking into an ablasion, especially the cryoablasion, using cold instead of heat to create the scar tissue. Apparently there's about 75% success rate with that, and if you need a second one it goes up to about 90%. It is expected to last between 4-8 years and then you may need to do it again.

So who's had it done and what's your story/opinion?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    AFIB questions ...

I've been in and out of AFIB for the past 10 years, mostly out. But about a year ago it went solid and hasn't gone away.

I don't want to do the shock, because that's not a permanent solution. The doctor suggested looking into an ablasion, especially the cryoablasion, using cold instead of heat to create the scar tissue. Apparently there's about 75% success rate with that, and if you need a second one it goes up to about 90%. It is expected to last between 4-8 years and then you may need to do it again.

So who's had it done and what's your story/opinion?
    I've dealt with AFIB for over 20 years. Similar to you, for many years it was very intermittant. About five years ago I went through a period when it was constant. I've been cardioverted (shocked) about four years ago, and since then have been on a twice-daily dose of the beta blocker Sotalol. It mostly works, as long as I keep my alcohol and caffeine intake under control. I have two friends who have had bad luck with ablation (had to repeat, one twice now), and am glad that to this point it hasn't been required for me. Best advice I've gotten is to minimize alcohol and caffeine, get regular sleep, and daily meditation. I'm hoping that as I drink less over time (I'm just not interested in risking a hangover anymore) I can get off the BB as well. As health problems go, this one is not the worst to have, but it is exceedingly annoying and inconvenient, and can be life-threatening if ignored. Good luck to you!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Might be a good idea to lock the home screen with a PIN. I started locking my phone because I've misplaced it before.
    Come to think of it I’m not sure how that happened- my phone unlocks via face recognition and failing that a pin. I guess I’d better check the timing on the lock.

Since we've opened the door to discussing various ailments, does anyone (other than me) deal with ulcerative colitis?

I take a steroid called Budesonide (co-pay even with the Cadillac coverage I have is criminal) that helps somewhat w/regularity, but I'm wondering if anyone else with the condition has had help from any other regimens or drug therapies.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since we've opened the door to discussing various ailments, does anyone (other than me) deal with ulcerative colitis?
    No Shit!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    No Shit!
    WRONG!!

Scatologically speaking, without the Budesonide to shrink the colon, my address would be Shit City!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My Mom was treated for it, but I don't know what was prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've searched for my glasses - while actually wearing them!
    I've reached up to take mine off, only do discover that I'm not wearing them.
    Names are coming to me more slowly, if at all.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I've reached up to take mine off, only do discover that I'm not wearing them.
    Utah Senator Orrin Hatch famously did that on camera.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

One GOOD thing about being a Geezer.......There is no "Work night" so Soft Machine live on a Monday night is a no-brainer!........except for fighting the normal bed-time curfew of 8:30PM!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Perhaps of interest to some

http://openinsulin.org/

Just turned 57, but according to Groucho Marx I'm only 38.....oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I put my iPad somewhere for safekeeping about 3 years ago....

Yup ... that's right .....
    Off-topic - how are you making out in the floods, George? I hope you're okay.
    Regards,

Duncan

Off-topic - how are you making out in the floods, George? I hope you're okay.
    Yeah, I saw the images in the news...

They claim it's the worst flooding ever, but I seem to remember there was another real bad flood a few years back.... Is this worse or +/- the same?

Anyways, hope all is fine for you...

Crazy weather >> East coast is flooded, western & south coast and outback are dying of thirst... I think those pipelines are becoming a must >> It won't stop the flooding, but at least some of that water can be evacuated to where it's needed.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I've searched for my glasses - while actually wearing them!

I've done that.

Why I was wearing your glasses, I'll probably never know.

One thing I've done over the years is momentarily panic when my car keys aren't in my right pocket where I normally keep them, then I realize they're already in my left hand. Same with my wallet.

In the middle of a "Geezer" activity this week during the cold weather......going through my home office files and towers of bankers boxes full-o-paper! Already trashed my shredder....I'm amazed at the ubiquitous use of my Social Security Number for ID and account numbers before the Internet! I have cancelled checks going back to 1982! WTF?
    I've kept ALL of my utility bills, credit card statements....you name it!
    Endless Band correspondence.......all a depressing Soap Opera....printed out copies of work e-mails (I retired 14 years ago)...It was depressing rereading all that crap and a great cleansing experience letting all that stuff fall into the recycle bin....never to be reviewed again.

On the plus side......I found All my receipts for my Musical Instruments / Recording gear....a good base point as I plan to sell off almost All of it. I also found my Home Improvement File.....Will be needed when I sell my home and need the Tax break. I do not know if I have the intestinal fortitude to tackle all the crap in the attic......but better to do it in February than the heat of July.

I have used the Finance program Quicken for the past 25 Years! So, every penny in and out is accounted for.....I should have trashed this paperwork 20 years ago!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I'm amazed at the ubiquitous use of my Social Security Number for ID and account numbers before the Internet!
    Before Netscape Navigator democratized the internet, the State of Arizona used Social Security numbers as driver license numbers. When ID theft became a problem, a massive campaign began urging people to get a new license with a different number.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Before Netscape Navigator democratized the internet, the State of Arizona used Social Security numbers as driver license numbers. When ID theft became a problem, a massive campaign began urging people to get a new license with a different number.
    Same here in Virginia.
    I came across bunches of old cancelled checks with the SSN printed on them.
    If it wasn't printed on there the cashiers wanted to write it on, so it saved time.
    In college your SSN was on Everything, ID's, grade lists taped to doors, Blue books.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

So I have a recent weird thing going on. In the middle of the night I am sometimes waking up with severe cramps in my feet. It never happens during the day or anytime when I am conscious, but I will wake up with my toes all bent and severe pain in my feet. The only way I can get rid of it is to get up and walk around. It is really strange and annoying. Anyone else have anything like this and if so is there anything you can do about it?

^ Yes. The same thing happens to me. Hasn't happened much recently but when those foot cramps get you while sleeping I hop out of bed and walk around.

^^^^
    I had this perhaps 10 years ago for a few years, my wife too.
    But its 10 years ago, so it can pass as sudden as it starts. Haven't done anything to prevent it...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    In the middle of a "Geezer" activity this week during the cold weather......going through my home office files and towers of bankers boxes full-o-paper! Already trashed my shredder....I'm amazed at the ubiquitous use of my Social Security Number for ID and account numbers before the Internet! I have cancelled checks going back to 1982! WTF?
    I've kept ALL of my utility bills, credit card statements....you name it!
    Endless Band correspondence.......all a depressing Soap Opera....printed out copies of work e-mails (I retired 14 years ago)...It was depressing rereading all that crap and a great cleansing experience letting all that stuff fall into the recycle bin....never to be reviewed again.
    Sometimes bad weather is a good thing. Sometimes it takes a move. I had all bank statements, cancelled checks and tax returns going back to my first job in 1977! Like you I blew up my shedder. Gotta get another on to finish the job!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ Yes. The same thing happens to me. Hasn't happened much recently but when those foot cramps get you while sleeping I hop out of bed and walk around.
    (Raises hand) Me too! Me too! I think it’s due to stretching while sleeping and not putting the standard 60 yr. old guy brakes on it - that is until you’re hobbling around in the pitch black like a drunken one-legged pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So I have a recent weird thing going on. In the middle of the night I am sometimes waking up with severe cramps in my feet. It never happens during the day or anytime when I am conscious, but I will wake up with my toes all bent and severe pain in my feet. The only way I can get rid of it is to get up and walk around. It is really strange and annoying. Anyone else have anything like this and if so is there anything you can do about it?
    Same here, Steve. It's happened a couple times in the last year. It can be pretty painful.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Wow. I thought I was the only one. It started for me about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Didn't happen every night but did occur 3-4 times a week. One thing I learned in a physiology course is that the minerals essential to proper muscle function are calcium, magnesium, & potassium. That's why certain athletes (cyclists, long distance runners, etc) eat bananas, even while competing: they're rich in magnesium & potassium. Potassium is also key to prevent cramps. I can't eat bananas because they have too much sugar and I'm diabetic so I took a multivitamin for a couple days and the problem went away. But if you don't have diabetes, eating a banana before bed is also a good way to get a good night's sleep because they are a good source of tryptophan which the body converts to serotonin and melatonin, the hormones that relax the mind and help you sleep.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe