Page 54 of 238 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 5939

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I took a 5mg tablet of melatonin last night. I hadn't taken any for 2, 3 days. I dreamed that I had a pet sealion that spoke English, among some other weirdness.

Some of those dreams are "turn off the clock radio, I want to go back to sleep and finish this" territory.

NR update!

Dr. Drew interviewed Charles Brenner who said that the NR Copenhagen trial to be released soon shows a 10% decline in fat in the liver of obese men from 11% to 10%. (Podcast #333)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    NR update!

Dr. Drew interviewed Charles Brenner who said that the NR Copenhagen trial to be released soon shows a 10% decline in fat in the liver of obese men from 11% to 10%. (Podcast #333)
    Isn't that a 1% decline?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't that a 1% decline?
    It is a 10% decline from the base of 11%. You could say "a 1 percentage point decline" as well but using 10% decline in the amount of fat is a better way of saying it if you didn't know the baseline.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And you work in marketing
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No, wanker, I don't.

In times like these, this old geezer keeps his blood pressure level by using the ignore function.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No, wanker, I don't.
    Is someone ready for another PE vacation already?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

No, wanker, I don't.
    I wasn't referring directly about you, I was saying thats the way you would position that statement if you worked in marketing.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Is someone ready for another PE vacation already?
    Go away, dad.

Go away, dad.
    NO! 'geezer WILL NOT GO AWAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, I don't think there is free will, either.

No apology?
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nobody puts Geezer in the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nobody puts Geezer in the corner!
    Be proud, Robert. I'm wiping my nose now from the water I just aspirated!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    In podcast #334 they admit it's all pure bullshit.

Thanks to NR, we now have a troll that will live forever.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    In podcast #334 they admit it's all pure bullshit.
    It is laughable how anti science people here are. These are top universities conducting these trials. But if Jon Anderson came up with a horseshit smothie, they would be downing that in a second.

A lot of vile toward a humble vitamin.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 06-26-2018 at 10:11 PM.

I've totally forgotten what "NR" stands for -- and can't be arsed to backtrack to check -- but it doesn't matter anyway because if you know ANYTHING about human metabolism a "humble vitamin" can't do anything for your body. The vast vitamin industry is built on ignorance and lies. In small quantities vitamins will pass harmlessly through your body in waste without doing anything but unclogging your wallet. In larger quantities vitamins and minerals can become toxic, even life-threatening.

It's true. You can look it up.

NR = Nicotinamide Riboside, a derivative of Vitamin B3, Niacin. Is there a reason you couldn't google that within 5 seconds? NR has been shown to raise NAD+ levels 40% in adults where NAD+ declines steadily with age. NR has been tested to be safe up to 2000mg but almost everyone takes 250mg to 500mg.

The University of Colorado showed NR lowered the blood pressure of pre-hypertension subjects by 10% but didn't change those in normal range. The Copenhagen study shows a 10% reduction of fat in the liver of obese men. Mouse trials show that in mice with heart failure NR lifts them to near normal and a human trial was recently conducted at the U of Washington, a top school in the world for biochemistry.

All of these researchers including ten Nobel Laureates in Medicine are charlatans? Oh, OK...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've totally forgotten what "NR" stands for -- and can't be arsed to backtrack to check -- but it doesn't matter anyway because if you know ANYTHING about human metabolism a "humble vitamin" can't do anything for your body. The vast vitamin industry is built on ignorance and lies. In small quantities vitamins will pass harmlessly through your body in waste without doing anything but unclogging your wallet. In larger quantities vitamins and minerals can become toxic, even life-threatening.

It's true. You can look it up.
    Than is absolutely not true - sorry.

I'll agree that a properly balanced diet ought to (but seldom does) provide adequate vitamins. But to state that "a "humble vitamin can't do anything for your body" is clearly incorrect.

One of the earliest and simplest lessons learned about this was the vitamin C deficiency that killed sailors in the early expeditions around Africa. And science has since progressed way beyond that.
    Regards,

Duncan

Scurvy is not a disease that affects people under normal circumstances.

And it was prevented not with pills, but with citrus fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday
    I'll agree that a properly balanced diet ought to (and always does) provide adequate vitamins and minerals (which are needed only in trace amounts).
    Fixed that for ya.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-27-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Only a marketer would deny he's a marketer
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

People who live in Northern climates often do not get enough Vitamin D3 in their diets for protection against some cancers.

NR is different from other vitamin supplements because using it isn't really to "supplement" anything. Instead, it has proven to boost a person's NAD+ levels in cells where that is important for maintaining healthy metabolism. A 20 year old has around 95% of his original NAD+ levels, which is one reason cancer is so rare at that age and starts to increase after age 40. A 65 year old has about 25% of his original NAD+ levels and again it is one reason a lot more starts to go wrong in the body at that age. By boosting NAD+ levels 40% (with 250m of NR), it effectively reverses one aspect of aging in a cell. Since only one aspect, it isn't as if the entire cell's age is reversed, though.

The facts about the benefits of NR in humans are accumulating and likely will keep showing that 1) the more out of shape one is in and 2) the older one is the greater the benefit. What isn't clear yet is how much of a benefit over several areas which is why more than 15 other human trials are in process.

It is hilarious how much some people can't stand good news! Some bizarre psychology going on there...
    Last edited by yamishogun; 06-27-2018 at 10:20 AM.