Page 46 of 238 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Grrrr. Couple years ago my doctor put me on a low sodium diet for high blood pressure. I can't eat "packaged foods" at all (sodium in a can of Cambell's soup? Unbelievable). I can't eat red meat anymore (lost my enzymes for it or something). Chicken & fish (mercury & steroids...) and fruit and vegetables. Lots of salads

Still haven't lost a fucking ounce.
    So make your own soup. Boil some chicken, throw some vegetables in there, hold the salt. Simple. Any man that can't cook simple, basic meals at home is lazy, or has too many distractions. /lecture

Also, are you excersizing?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    How does one "cut sugar and starch out of one's diet"? EVERYTHING has sugar in it, and starches are everywhere too. So, do you like eat nothing but fresh fruits and vegetables?

I would like to lose 40 pounds but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to become a rabbit.
    I should have said minimized sugar and starch. This will be a permanent change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    So make your own soup. Boil some chicken, throw some vegetables in there, hold the salt. Simple. Any man that can't cook simple, basic meals at home is lazy, or has too many distractions. /lecture

Also, are you exercising?
    I do make my own soup when I have it, exactly as you describe. It's pretty bland but it's edible. And yes, I swim 5 mornings a week at 5:30am. But I'm a lazy bastard at heart, probably should get out and walk twice a day too. It's too easy to sit & listen to music with a cat on my lap (shown at left).
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Banned
    ^^^

We have three cats and they will only stay on our laps whining while you pin the little furry f**ckers down with due force...

What I do now is read the labels on packaged food. If sugar/corn syrup/fructose is high on the list I don't buy it. Common sense really. I also avoid fruit. I have type 2 diabetes so I'm always careful. The only sugar I use is in my coffee, which is crystallized cane sugar (one small teaspoon).
    I was diagnosed with DMII about a year ago. I'm on Metformin and Onglyza. But I cut pasta, potatoes, and rice from my diet, which really sucks because I love mashed potatoes. I also limit Mexican food (corn & flour tortillas are very high in carbs). I still eat a little rice now and then, usually about 1/3 of a cup as part of a recipe, but I haven't had any pasta in a year and have had a single serving of red skinned potatoes about three or four times in the past year.

I don't really complain because I brought this on myself. I've been addicted to sugar since I was 3. My ex used to marvel at how much sugar I consumed in a week and yet never gained weight. At least until I got to middle age. So, even though diabetes runs in my family (at 60, my brother died of organ failure after he went on dialysis because of diabetes) I'm sure I caused my own insulin resistance.

But I've been trying to take better care of myself for a while, now. About 10 years ago I cut out ice cream and lost some weight. A year or two later I cut out soda. I switched to sports drinks and then when Gatorade came out with G2, I switched to that (it has half the sugar of regular Gatorade; a 12 oz bottle of G2 only has 8g of sugar, which is half a serving of carbs). I also cut cookies from my diet about the same time as ice cream (I am the original cookie monster, seriously; I would eat a whole sleeve of Chips Ahoy cookies in one sitting; that's almost 120g of sugar!!!). And now I only have one glass of milk a day (milk has a lot of sugar in it, too). The other day, I went out to lunch with my coworkers. I drank a glass of water with my meal. First time I ever did that. And, yes, it sucked, but what are you gonna do? (I should have taken a bottle of water with me, because our tap water sucks).

For a snack at work: peanuts. No candy bars or crackers. For $2 I can get a 12oz can of peanuts. A 2.5oz package of peanuts in a vending machine runs from 85¢ to $1. I'm ¼ Scottish. I'm frugal. lol

I still eat bread but only in a sandwich. A slice of bread is 1 serving of carbs and I'm allowed 3-4 per meal.

I still have some Little Debbie snacks at night and I still smoke, but about 5-6 months ago my A1C dropped to less than 7% and has been steadily dropping since. Based on my morning blood sugar readings for the past 90 days, which is 141 mg/dL, my current A1C should be 6.5%. I'm thrilled with that.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I lost by just cutting down on portion size, eating healthier entrees, and cutting down on the snacking and desserts. I've got a sweet tooth and a chocolate addiction. Cutting out beer is simply out of the question. I'm no Duncan but I have taken steps to exercise more and get my metabolism going. Almost thirty pounds down now since last August when I had my physical.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I was diagnosed with DMII about a year ago. I'm on Metformin and Onglyza. But I cut pasta, potatoes, and rice from my diet, which really sucks because I love mashed potatoes. I also limit Mexican food (corn & flour tortillas are very high in carbs). I still eat a little rice now and then, usually about 1/3 of a cup as part of a recipe, but I haven't had any pasta in a year and have had a single serving of red skinned potatoes about three or four times in the past year.

I don't really complain because I brought this on myself. I've been addicted to sugar since I was 3. My ex used to marvel at how much sugar I consumed in a week and yet never gained weight. At least until I got to middle age. So, even though diabetes runs in my family (at 60, my brother died of organ failure after he went on dialysis because of diabetes) I'm sure I caused my own insulin resistance.

But I've been trying to take better care of myself for a while, now. About 10 years ago I cut out ice cream and lost some weight. A year or two later I cut out soda. I switched to sports drinks and then when Gatorade came out with G2, I switched to that (it has half the sugar of regular Gatorade; a 12 oz bottle of G2 only has 8g of sugar, which is half a serving of carbs). I also cut cookies from my diet about the same time as ice cream (I am the original cookie monster, seriously; I would eat a whole sleeve of Chips Ahoy cookies in one sitting; that's almost 120g of sugar!!!). And now I only have one glass of milk a day (milk has a lot of sugar in it, too). The other day, I went out to lunch with my coworkers. I drank a glass of water with my meal. First time I ever did that. And, yes, it sucked, but what are you gonna do? (I should have taken a bottle of water with me, because our tap water sucks).

For a snack at work: peanuts. No candy bars or crackers. For $2 I can get a 12oz can of peanuts. A 2.5oz package of peanuts in a vending machine runs from 85¢ to $1. I'm ¼ Scottish. I'm frugal. lol

I still eat bread but only in a sandwich. A slice of bread is 1 serving of carbs and I'm allowed 3-4 per meal.

I still have some Little Debbie snacks at night and I still smoke, but about 5-6 months ago my A1C dropped to less than 7% and has been steadily dropping since. Based on my morning blood sugar readings for the past 90 days, which is 141 mg/dL, my current A1C should be 6.5%. I'm thrilled with that.
    I've never had a sweet tooth and I still got type 2 about 15 years ago. Only recently I've started taking metformin. For years I've controlled by glucose through exercise and avoiding sweets. Occasionally I'll crave a glazed donut because by body is screaming for something sweet. I do miss rice, pasta, and potatoes but I can live without them. I don't eat legumes regularly either, but I'll make a pot of lentils once in a while. I really don't miss bread but lately I've been craving a good old fashioned hotdog with mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I lost by just cutting down on portion size, eating healthier entrees, and cutting down on the snacking and desserts. I've got a sweet tooth and a chocolate addiction. Cutting out beer is simply out of the question. I'm no Duncan but I have taken steps to exercise more and get my metabolism going. Almost thirty pounds down now since last August when I had my physical.
    Portion control is key as well. As you age diet is more important than rigorous excersize.

Portion control is key as well. As you age diet is more important than rigorous excersize.
    I agree with portion control but a big part of it for me was to stop continually snacking, including late night binges, outside or regular mealtime. Thirty pounds is a big shift - usually requiring a whole new wardrobe.

I really don't miss bread but lately I've been craving a good old fashioned hotdog with mustard.
    Can't you just splurge every once in a while and down a hot dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Can't you just splurge every once in a while and down a hot dog?
    Sure I can. I still wanna drop another 10 pounds, then I'll reward myself with a couple footlongs slathered with mustard and onions. On buns of course.

Portion control is key as well.
    When I was a gym-rat (11 years ago to about 5 years ago) they always used to say:
    "Your 'guns' are made in the gym, but your '6-pack' is made in the kitchen."

As you age diet is more important than rigorous excersize.
    I agree that diet becomes far more important as you age ... but not necessarily more important.

2 recent surveys were published about this. here's one of them:

How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

In the other one (I'll find it soon...) they found that a 70-year-old who exercised constantly and ate sensibly was able to maintain the metabolism of someone in their 20s.
    Regards,

Duncan

Sure I can. I still wanna drop another 10 pounds, then I'll reward myself with a couple footlongs slathered with mustard and onions. On buns of course.

Mmmmmm... I am heading to a baseball game today, so I will shove a footlong or two down my throat in your honor!

"You may not live forever... but it'll SEEM like forever!"

I found that my appetite diminished with age, but I still can eat an average size meal. I haven't eaten meat for 10 years now, but that's just a moral decision...depending on what you consider to be rigorous...exercise is more essential as you age. I walk everyday, a minimum of 30 mins and cycle as often as weather permits. I really do not have to worry about diet.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I hate you all.

I've been exercising daily for twenty years, watching my diet for ten, being really strict with it for two -- and haven't lost a fucking ounce. I FEEL healthier -- no more heart palpitations, good wind, good cholesterol & BP -- but I'm still 40 lbs overweight.

I hate you all.

I've been exercising daily for twenty years, watching my diet for ten, being really strict with it for two -- and haven't lost a fucking ounce. I FEEL healthier -- no more heart palpitations, good wind, good cholesterol & BP -- but I'm still 40 lbs overweight.
    That is key.

In a perfect world, we'd all be a few (okay, several ) pounds lighter, and we should continue to strive for that.

But the benefits highlighted above are the first-and-foremost reason for keeping a good diet and exercise regimen.

** They will contribute to a longer life.

** If you get sick / injured, a healthy metabolism will aid the healing process. A have a friend who had bladder cancer, and had to have his bladder removed in September. He's already back to 100% fitness and at 3 years older than me (i.e. ancient!) he's already fitter than I am. The doctors said that his recovery has been at the pace of a 20-year-old, because he was supremely fit at the time.

** Whether you live longer or not, you'll feel better day-to-day.

** Chicks will dig you!

Okay, I made that last one up, in a moment of futile optimism )
    Regards,

Duncan

Well, what I mean is it's not necessary to lift weights 4-6 times a week at age 60. I excersize every day but I mostly do pushups and take walks. I stopped going to the gym because my lower back was hurting from using the stairmaster and doing deadlifts. The only thing I miss is breaking a good sweat. I'm sure I'll join the gym again at some point. But yes, I'm aware that exercise is important for senior citizens. It also wards off dementia. I also read recently that eating leafy greens wards off dementia as well. I eat fresh spinach and lettuce every day.

When I was at my peak weight last September I still managed to run for 20 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a week. I haven't exercised since! My plan is the start running again now that spring is approaching. I love running and get a runner's high. I just let is slip off my radar. I've run two marathons but 20 years ago (lol)!

Well, what I mean is it's not necessary to lift weights 4-6 times a week at age 60. I excersize every day but I mostly do pushups and take walks. I stopped going to the gym because my lower back was hurting from using the stairmaster and doing deadlifts. The only thing I miss is breaking a good sweat. I'm sure I'll join the gym again at some point. But yes, I'm aware that exercise is important for senior citizens. It also wards off dementia. I also read recently that eating leafy greens wards off dementia as well. I eat fresh spinach and lettuce every day.
    Vic. could you get on a bike? There shouldn't be any lower back pain, it's a zero-impact exercise, and you'd have no problem breaking a sweat..?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When I was at my peak weight last September I still managed to run for 20 minutes on the treadmill 3 times a week. I haven't exercised since! My plan is the start running again now that spring is approaching. I love running and get a runner's high. I just let is slip off my radar. I've run two marathons but 20 years ago (lol)!
    Greg, great to see you getting into good shape again, old friend! I remember this was in our discussions some years ago.

Today, 40 lbs. Tomorrow, marathon #3
    Regards,

Duncan

Well, what I mean is it's not necessary to lift weights 4-6 times a week at age 60.
    Correct! Cardio is better for you than weight training. Get your heart and lungs working hard for 20 minutes every day. I often see overweight people doing deadlifts -- yeah, it makes you stronger (bigger) but unless your heart & lungs are involved, you'll die with big arms

Vic. could you get on a bike? There shouldn't be any lower back pain, it's a zero-impact exercise, and you'd have no problem breaking a sweat..?
    I've owned bicycles over the years. It's not something I enjoy. I'd swim a few times a week if I could find a decent public pool.

Swimming is good exercise. Works a lot of muscles, easy on the joints, and you don’t get all hot & sweaty.

PLUS.... quite often in the pool there is eye candy.

Swimming is good exercise. Works a lot of muscles, easy on the joints, and you don’t get all hot & sweaty.

PLUS.... quite often in the pool there is eye candy.
    The only lap pool I'm aware of is the one at the community college. I should check it out and see what's up. I use to swim there decades ago.

Correct! Cardio is better for you than weight training. Get your heart and lungs working hard for 20 minutes every day. I often see overweight people doing deadlifts -- yeah, it makes you stronger (bigger) but unless your heart & lungs are involved, you'll die with big arms
    Absolutely wrong!!! Weight training is far more beneficial than cardio. Increased muscle mass, faster metabolism, improved range of motion. And, you can easily equate or surpass a cardio heart rate by doing circuit training.I am not against cardio, but given a choice of either one OR the other, weight training is the FAR superior choice.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence