Page 43 of 238 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 5939

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I had one last year (shudder...) that prep is just about the most miserable experience ever.
    Really? It’s just a laxative (ya big baby).

A REALLY STRONG laxative, but once you’re cleaned out it stops doing anything.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What do you mean by “awake”though? In all five of my coloscopies I was given a sedative which left me “awake” technically (I could answer questions and was aware where I was) but it interfered with my ability to make memories or something, because immediately afterward I could not remember a thing about the procedure. I went in, I came out —in between I have no idea what happened.
    Thats what I had.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I love sittin' in when old soldiers get together and swap war stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not too worried... it could be an ulcer or just internal hemerroids (I drink a fair bit of red wine)
    Most likely diverticulitis. Not serious if treated. If left untreated can lead to peritonitis and eventually sepsis, which can be life threatening.

Get it treated.

BTW, red wine is not the problem. Red wine is your friend.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-10-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I had one last year (shudder...) that prep is just about the most miserable experience ever.
    The instructions that came with my last prep kit had some recommendations to make the whole thing easier. Helped A LOT.
    • For about a week before your procedure eat nothing with seeds, nuts, whole grains... you know, stuff that gets caught in your foldy bits
    • For 24-36 hours before your prep, eat nothing. Let your system naturally clear itself out
    • The day of your prep, eat nothing but liquids (and lots of them). Helps the laxative do their job
    • Stay close to a bathroom for a half day once you start the prep, but if you follow the above, it's all done in 4-5 hours

Then you can whistle out your asshole.

Most likely diverticulitis. Not serious if treated. If left untreated can lead to peritonitis and eventually sepsis, which can be life threatening..
    I suffer nothing of the following signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:

Pain, which may be constant and persist for several days. Pain is usually felt in the lower left side of the abdomen, but may occur on the right, especially in people of Asian descent.
    Nausea and vomiting.
    Fever.
    Abdominal tenderness.
    Constipation or, less commonly, diarrhea.

The instructions that came with my last prep kit had some recommendations to make the whole thing easier. Helped A LOT.
    • For about a week before your procedure eat nothing with seeds, nuts, whole grains... you know, stuff that gets caught in your foldy bits
    • For 24-36 hours before your prep, eat nothing. Let your system naturally clear itself out
    • The day of your prep, eat nothing but liquids (and lots of them). Helps the laxative do their job
    • Stay close to a bathroom for a half day once you start the prep, but if you follow the above, it's all done in 4-5 hours

Then you can whistle out your asshole.
    Mmmhh!!!... the instructions I received are +/- the same, but they told me I could still eat until 24h before the intervention, but the last three days, I couldn't ear anything including vegetable fibers (though white bread is ok)...

what sounds painful is to have to drink that horrible-tasting crap (1liter) within an hour and have to drink 1l water right after... Two liters in two hours sounds like I'm going to explode my bladder... and I have to repeat that four hours before the intervention.

=================

Did you say that it kind of resets your microbiotic flora, though??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The last prep kit I got tasted much better than my previous ones. Still not great, but much better. Hopefully yours will be the new formula.

Yes, once your stomach and bowels are wiped clean, you can take probiotic pills (Culturelle or Nature's Choice or equiv.) to reset the bugs in your gut. I had years of digestion problems, and hitting reset seemed to help for a couple years. That's the time to do it, when your system is sparkling clean. This is a little-mentioned side benefit of the colonoscopy procedure.

You won't explode your bladder after the first liter. That one makes sure nothing stays in you that long!

One more piece of advice: invest in a package of medicated Baby Wipes beforehand.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-10-2018 at 02:58 AM.

I suffer nothing of the following signs and symptoms of diverticulitis include:
    I'm not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV.

Here's a test you can take:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptom-c...s/itt-20009075

The last prep kit I got tasted much better than my previous ones. Still not great, but much better. Hopefully yours will be the new formula
    Both times I 'made a movie' the preparation was a foul-tasting cherry flavour. My last movie got good reviews and they put me back on a 5-year cycle - from the 3-year one they had me on due to family history. Doc says my vegan diet may be helping. The day before my last one I told my wife she could say anything she liked about me - but one thing was sure - I was not full of shit.

I think(?) my last prep was grape flavor. Better than the cherry f'sure.

At the recommendation of my MD I added some powdered lemonade to the "Go Lightly". Made it somewhat more palatable. Of course the crew giving me the colonoscopy cracked up when I declared that "Go Lightly" should be called "Torrential Downpour".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Obligatory Dave Barry column on colonoscopy.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/living/li...le1928847.html
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

It was the starvation that got me. yes, I am a wuss. They had me stop eating solids 3 days before. I got awfully sick of chicken broth.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Obligatory Dave Barry column on colonoscopy.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/living/li...le1928847.html
    Dave Barry is the absolute best!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

My prep was surprisingly easy compared to my expectations. I think I had to take two or three different types of laxatives. The one where I had to drink large quantities of liquid involved using a Gatorade flavor of my choosing (although I couldn't pick any that were red, I believe) which I mixed (per instructions) with a powdered laxative...can't remember the name.

The worst part was when the nurse tried to insert a needle on the back of my hand for the anesthesia. She tried three times before calling in another nurse who got it on the first try. What was weird is that I almost passed out. Not sure why since I've never had a problem when donating blood many times.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At the recommendation of my MD I added some powdered lemonade to the "Go Lightly". Made it somewhat more palatable. Of course the crew giving me the colonoscopy cracked up when I declared that "Go Lightly" should be called "Torrential Downpour".
    I am thinking of mixing in some powdered ice tea to it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I am thinking of mixing in some powdered ice tea to it
    It has to be a clear liquid.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    It has to be a clear liquid.
    Nothing that would 'dye your insides'
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Green tea might be okay. But it wouldn't do much to mask the flavor.

Not like vodka would.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    just had surgery for a minor but annoying thing i had never heard of. i found the prospect of being put under more terrifying than the operation...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Screw it. Just got back from Guitar Center. Bought a Squire P Bass and a Fender practice amp. I could've gotten a real, Fender Precision but I'm just screwing around with it. I'm not gonna play in a band or anything. Why spend a grand on a bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Screw it. Just got back from Guitar Center. Bought a Squire P Bass and a Fender practice amp. I could've gotten a real, Fender Precision but I'm just screwing around with it. I'm not gonna play in a band or anything. Why spend a grand on a bass?
    You probably did the right thing. Fender makes some solid stuff even at the lower end. My main P-bass is a Made-in-Mexico bass and I think I paid $275 for it brand new (20 years ago). I did replace the neck on it a few years ago, but it served me well in it's original form for many years. I do want an expensive one sometime though.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    You probably did the right thing. Fender makes some solid stuff even at the lower end. My main P-bass is a Made-in-Mexico bass and I think I paid $275 for it brand new (20 years ago). I did replace the neck on it a few years ago, but it served me well in it's original form for many years. I do want an expensive one sometime though.
    There was a Sea Foam colored Fender P I fell in love with but I wasn't gonna spend 899.00 for it. The bass amp I got is a Fender Rumble 25 watt thing. It's more than good enough for me. All together I spent 3 bills and change.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 02-11-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    There was a Sea Foam colored Fender P I fell in love with but I wasn't gonna spend 899.00 for it. The bass amp I got is a Fender Rumble 25 watt thing. It's more than good enough for me. All together I spent 3 bills and change.
    I great things about those little amps.
    <sig out of order>