Page 31 of 237 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

The ignore function works wonders
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The ignore function works wonders
    You talkin' to me, punk?

Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    You talkin' to me, punk?

Fuck off.

Get off my lawn you crazy kids!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My dad was an early exponent of "high-fidelity" and jumped on the stereo bandwagon early, 1957 I believe. Accordingly his collection included several high fidelity and stereo demonstration discs, and I grew up with the sounds of marimbas, glockenspiels and boo-bams (forever warping my nascent tastes). I became a collector of Arthur Lyman LPs, whose music not only fulfilled the "stereo demonstration" niche but I thought was pretty artistically progressive too.

About 1999 for Christmas I put together a CD-R for my sister called "This Is The Soundtrack To Your Life" which included a bunch of the stuff my dad played, stuff that was hits before the Beatles: Herb Albert, Percy Faith, Henry Mancini, Horst Jankowski, Paul Mauriat, Arthur Lyman, Bill Purcell, etc. Surprisingly (perhaps) some of these old tunes were remarkably-well recorded and still function today as stereo demonstration music.

Then last year I remembered another record in my dad's collection (long since lost to Goodwill) called "Mallet Magic" (1957) by a xylophonist named Harry Breuer. It turned out to be available on iTunes, along with a sequel "Mallet Mischief" from the following year. It's corny (xylophone, organ, guitar and percussion) but brings back fond memories. That second LP was featured on the cover of the "Incredibly Strange Music" book, if you've heard of that.

To continue the story, over Thanksgiving when my sister was staying with me she asked if I had any good marimba music. Both of us have been looking for good jazz marimba for decades (there's not much out there). I did some more searching while she was here, and ran across an album called "Potent Percussion" by Don Catelli & the All Stars which turned out to be typical 1961 easy-listening. This reminded me of a series of albums released by former big band leader Enoch Light in the '57-'61 timeframe to capitalize on the hi-fi fad entitled "Provocative Percussion" (Vol.s 1-3) and "Persuasive Percussion" (Vol.s 1-3). I could not stomach the music contained therein though -- REALLY Lawrence Welkian -- so ended up not downloading any. I did find an Enoch Light album called "Tabu" (1957) however where he jumped on the Arthur Lyman faux-Polynesian fad and created Hawaiian music with exaggerated stereo effects and lots of colorful percussion. He even covers some of the same songs as Catelli... so that now fills out my Catelli CD-R.

I feel so old listening to easy-listening music. Jesus, where are my teeth???

My wife assembled a couple cassettes from her dad's LPs shortly after he died in 1990 (hence the use of cassette instead of CD-R). Stuff like Charlie Pride, Ray Price, country gospel, and yeah, Percy Faith and Paul Mauriat. The kind of stuff my wife mocked but dutifully collated. I played it on a road trip a couple months ago and she was ecstatic (and a little weepy).

Heard this interview on Fresh Air some weeks back with Dr. Matt Walker about sleep. He's a professor of neuroscience and psychology at UC Berkeley and the founder and director of the Center for Human Sleep Science. According to him, there is a causal relationship between sleep deprivation and Alzheimer's. What is particularly disturbing – and depressing – is that the relationship is a vicious cycle: each worsens the other. He talks about other things related to sleep, as well.

Here's the interview if anyone's interested; it's about 38 minutes long: Sleep Scientist Warns Against Walking Through Life 'In An Underslept State'. Look for the blue circle with the white triangle on the left to listen online or the download link just under that if you'd rather listen to the podcast.

...and yeah, Percy Faith...
    I can't believe I'm saying this... I love Percy Faith. I suppose I could blame that on having an old soul?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

OK, jokers...

Nature just published the results of the Elysium NR+pterostilbine study of 120 healthy 60 to 80 year olds with BMIs under 30.

1) 250 mg of NR and 50 mg of pterostilbine raised NAD+ levels by 40% for eight weeks in healthy 60 to 80 year olds. 500 mg of NR and 100 mg of pterostilbine raised NAD+ levels up to 90% after four weeks but steadily lowered to 55%.

2) Liver test: ASL number went down even with those with already lower numbers while AST decreased but not with statsitical significance. A new trial is focusing on liver health.

3) very slight or no changes in heart rate, blood pressure, glucose levels or triglyceryde levels.

4) "Significantly" improved mobility with a 30 second chair-stand test and a 6 minute walk test for the 500 mg but *not* the 250 mg group. (375 mg of NR also likely works)

Next up: Elysium is focusing on liver health, brain health, cardiovascular, muscular disorders and diabetes in several new separate studies. The U of Colorado study will be out in a few weeks.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41514-017-0016-9

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What if we treated marijuana ads like big pharma ads?
    Saw a billboard yesterday, said something like "The economy would have an additional $10 billion if marijuana was legal in all 50 states."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Saw a billboard yesterday, said something like "The economy would have an additional $10 billion if marijuana was legal in all 50 states."
    How is that possible? That $10 billion is always there in the economy, whether it's in my hands, yours, or his. It just doesn't appear because something is legal.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

It would come in from the 'black economy' to the public economy, where it could help pay down debt, fund schools, reduce taxes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    How is that possible? That $10 billion is always there in the economy, whether it's in my hands, yours, or his. It just doesn't appear because something is legal.
    Maybe they mean the taxable, non-black market economy? Also, there are circumstances where money is created. Maybe the existence of the MJ economy helps spurs that money creation.
    <sig out of order>

Yeah, it's the money that would transfer from black market to legal and taxable income.

Farmers up here have been locking horns with the DEA for years about planting hemp. With the status of hemp changing there's a lot of money to be made once the infrastructure is up and running.

http://beta.latimes.com/opinion/op-e...626-story.html

It would come in from the 'black economy' to the public economy, where it could help pay down debt, fund schools, reduce taxes, etc.
    Just like the lottery did.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Just read this on an NR thread. See how aging boomers can be helped in their geezer phase?

"I have been taking 500 mg. of NR for 16 weeks. At 71 yo, I have noticed a big improvement in energy such as walking. Most young people will not notice much until probably 60-65 when your energy and stamina accelerate downhill. I just dont get tired as quickly. Hell, I was running 6K's all the time in my 50's. I can tell when my cells are processing oxygen more efficiently. This has improved taking NR."

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Just read this on an NR thread. See how aging boomers can be helped in their geezer phase?

"I have been taking 500 mg. of NR for 16 weeks. At 71 yo, I have noticed a big improvement in energy such as walking. Most young people will not notice much until probably 60-65 when your energy and stamina accelerate downhill. I just dont get tired as quickly. Hell, I was running 6K's all the time in my 50's. I can tell when my cells are processing oxygen more efficiently. This has improved taking NR."
    Do you get paid for placing these ads?

Do you get paid for placing these ads?
    Not enough. Do you say that about people raving about a new record? Also, it is like saying I'm shilling for Vitamin D suppliers - there are many.

Most boomers look up very little on their own, so I took the liberty of explaning what is coming ahead for what may cure their ails. Then I recently followed up. Next update around the New Year!

I know I don't get paid for READING them. Where's a mod when you need one???

You think I read everything here? This is the WOT section. Have you looked up what that stands for? Well, you can call for mommy if you want. It's a (partly) free country.

the TRIANGLE with the EXCLAMATION point in the bottom left portion of said message will report to Moderator. This culprit was already on a short-leash, so this should seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    the TRIANGLE with the EXCLAMATION point in the bottom left portion of said message will report to Moderator. This culprit was already on a short-leash, so this should seal the deal.
    Culprit?

You guys are like the Star Chamber. Other members have asked about what I'm talking about months ago, so I updated a thread about "Putting Up with Being a Geezer". This is controversial? Surely not on the same level as others recommending rape fiction on the books thread.

Meanwhile....back on the old fart thing, and I am THE old fart on PE. After retiring at the age of 75, 2 years ago, you may be interested to know that I've returned to work. Not full time...3 days, 5 hours per day. It is physically demanding for sure, but the mental stimulation is well worth the body bash. It's not the money...I was asked if I'd like to help out temporarily and I did not hesitate in accepting. I've been back for 5 weeks now and it it didn't take long to appreciate the non working days, I did miss that feeling...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Meanwhile....back on the old fart thing, and I am THE old fart on PE. After retiring at the age of 75, 2 years ago, you may be interested to know that I've returned to work. Not full time...3 days, 5 hours per day. It is physically demanding for sure, but the mental stimulation is well worth the body bash. It's not the money...I was asked if I'd like to help out temporarily and I did not hesitate in accepting. I've been back for 5 weeks now and it it didn't take long to appreciate the non working days, I did miss that feeling...
    Congratulations (or commiserations? ) on being back at work.

I'm 60, and don't believe I'll be able (financially) to retire before I'm 70.

BUT - I'm already working on a small business activity that will hopefully provide a small supplemental income, and keep me mentally, socially, and physically stimulated in my retirement. I'll be promoting or owning big athletic events in my area : I already have 2 under my belt, and will look to increase my portfolio as I crawl toward my 70th.

Meantime, I'm participating in these events - and training aggressively for them - to stay in touch with the community, and keep myself in better shape than when I was 35.
    Regards,

Duncan

I worked much of the year at a marina, getting track time for contractors working on repairing a bridge. My chosen vantage point was a wooden bridge that spanned the creek, and connected the east side of the marina to the west side. This provided many opportunities to interact with the boat owners, most of whom were retirees. So many of them came up to me and said, "When you can go, go! Don't wait an extra day, don't wait an extra minute. If you can retire early, retire early, but don't wait...retire as soon as you can." They were preaching to the choir, of course, but I heard that a lot. No one gave a contrary viewpoint.

I'm on vacation until January 3rd, but when I get back, I'll have 3 1/2 years left. I am so looking forward to retirement.

I don't have any problem with yami posting about experimental treatments/supplements, etc. It's not something I know a lot about, and information/knowledge is better than lack of information/knowledge, so I don't see the harm. It's not like anyone has to try it.