Page 24 of 238 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Thanks for posting that list Duncan. We occasionally take the Amtrak to Chicago / Detroit with friends of ours who are over 62. One of the cool things is that if you are considered a “senior’ you (and whoever is with you) can board the train before everyone else. Sometimes if it is a full train that can be a huge advantage if everyone is trying to sit together.

Oooff. Justin Rose and Sergio Garcia in the lead.

It's a playoff hole now. Hang on. I'm rooting for Sergio.

Golf?? Now this is turning into a golfing thread????

Sergio gets to wear the green blazer.....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Golf?? Now this is turning into a golfing thread????
    The mere mention of golf puts me to sleep. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Sergio gets to wear the green blazer.....
    Unfortunately I didn't see any of it today

Did an 81-mile bike ride with about 6,500 feet of climbing...
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 04-09-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't see any of it today

Did an 81-mile bike ride with about 6,500 feet of climbing...
    My legs are ramen noodles just thinking about 6,500' of climbing on a bicycle. Sick ride.

I got hit by a car back in 1998 and broke my left wrist and I haven't really been on a bike since except for some mountain biking for fly fishing purposes. Definitely getting a cheap mtn. bike in a matter of weeks when the weather warms up "for reals". Nothing but hills here and miles of fire roads and single track. I might just find myself with a fly rod strapped to the frame heading for some cool pellucid waters before too long (our 10-year drought has been somewhat quenched this year, here where I live we've gotten over 45" of rain this season so I think it's OK to try a little catch and release on some local creeks).

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    My legs are ramen noodles just thinking about 6,500' of climbing on a bicycle. Sick ride.

I got hit by a car back in 1998 and broke my left wrist and I haven't really been on a bike since except for some mountain biking for fly fishing purposes. Definitely getting a cheap mtn. bike in a matter of weeks when the weather warms up "for reals". Nothing but hills here and miles of fire roads and single track. I might just find myself with a fly rod strapped to the frame heading for some cool pellucid waters before too long (our 10-year drought has been somewhat quenched this year, here where I live we've gotten over 45" of rain this season so I think it's OK to try a little catch and release on some local creeks).
    And I haven't been fly fishing for 30+ years. I really need to make a plan to do so!

Get a bike - it's really, really good for cardio exercise.
    Regards,

Duncan

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    And I haven't been fly fishing for 30+ years. I really need to make a plan to do so!

Get a bike - it's really, really good for cardio exercise.
    Be careful -- every time I get back into fly fishing it turns into a 3-5 year obsession. Thank God we have droughts 'cause I refuse to fish in those conditions. To me it's very, very discouraging to see gorgeous wild trout trapped in small pools struggling to survive. To entice a starving fish with a fake insect under those conditions is immoral, IMO. But this year we got drenched so game on! (Fishing's probably gonna suck this year due to the prior 10+ years of drought but next year should be amazing once the populations have had a chance to enjoy the bounty.)

And, yeah, I am definitely getting a mtn bike, it will allow me to get to town in about 5 minutes instead of 15 via walking, plus open up the backcountry to me. Looking forward to getting back on.

Be careful -- every time I get back into fly fishing it turns into a 3-5 year obsession. Thank God we have droughts 'cause I refuse to fish in those conditions. To me it's very, very discouraging to see gorgeous wild trout trapped in small pools struggling to survive. To entice a starving fish with a fake insect under those conditions is immoral, IMO. But this year we got drenched so game on! (Fishing's probably gonna suck this year due to the prior 10+ years of drought but next year should be amazing once the populations have had a chance to enjoy the bounty.)

And, yeah, I am definitely getting a mtn bike, it will allow me to get to town in about 5 minutes instead of 15 via walking, plus open up the backcountry to me. Looking forward to getting back on.
    Just one question....have you bought a pair of bib overalls yet or did you already own one (or more).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I haven't fished in years. When I did fish it was mostly saltwater, off a pier, in the Keys. Put me on a boat and I turn every shade of green and make chum for the fish. Only fresh water fish I've caught down here are Peacock Bass and Oscars.

Years ago i fished off a pier on the West Side(NYC).Caught quite a few Hudson River whitefish.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I was on a college Field trip in 1982 and my professor casually mentioned Hudson River Whitefish and I busted out laughing. I was the only one who know what the joke was.

When I was a kid I had no idea what those white things were floating in the river. That is a Catholic education for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I was on a college Field trip in 1982 and my professor casually mentioned Hudson River Whitefish and I busted out laughing. I was the only one who know what the joke was.

When I was a kid I had no idea what those white things were floating in the river. That is a Catholic education for ya!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Jefferson James
    I've caught and released more than a few LA River whitefish in my day. You guys wanna go fishing?

Saw a B.A.S.S. bumper sticker the other day modified to say "A.S.S. - Catch and Release".

I grew up in Queens and the East River was every bit as good as the Hudson for that particular species of Whitefish.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Just one question....have you bought a pair of bib overalls yet or did you already own one (or more).
    My Dad gave me a pair bib overalls several months ago and I haven't worn them, and now he wants them back LOL. He likes to wear them on his cross-country drives, claims he likes the ball room. Who am I to argue?

Back in the day and I was a horny young fellow, my girlfriend talked me into wearing a tight set of bibs (she had a matching set). The things you do to keep getting laid.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I bet Kerry's got waders.......

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    LMAO

I thought I'd heard it as Hudson River Jellyfish.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I bet Kerry's got waders.......
    Ha! Dude, when I really got into fly fishing around 2005 I joined a local board and met some cool people, one of them was a Hollywood TV director and he kind of took me under his wing; he bought me a new pair of waders and gave me some old wading boots he had. I used them once on a fishing trip with him but honestly, I couldn't see the use. The streams in SoCal are tiny with the exception of a couple main stems and waders are totally unnecessary, not to mention I really only fish when the weather is nice so "wet wading" is the norm for me. I do confess to wearing camouflage sometimes; tiny, crystal-clear, rarely-visited creeks harbor really skittish trout. If they see you 1st, it's game over. Fin.

This is me either drowning or taking the only way possible downstream. This particular location is a 10+ mile bike ride then a 4 mile scramble to the canyon. The things we do for trout.

KerrySwimminginLD.jpg

Ha! Dude, when I really got into fly fishing around 2005 I joined a local board and met some cool people, one of them was a Hollywood TV director and he kind of took me under his wing; he bought me a new pair of waders and gave me some old wading boots he had. I used them once on a fishing trip with him but honestly, I couldn't see the use. The streams in SoCal are tiny with the exception of a couple main stems and waders are totally unnecessary, not to mention I really only fish when the weather is nice so "wet wading" is the norm for me. I do confess to wearing camouflage sometimes; tiny, crystal-clear, rarely-visited creeks harbor really skittish trout. If they see you 1st, it's game over. Fin.

This is me either drowning or taking the only way possible downstream. This particular location is a 10+ mile bike ride then a 4 mile scramble to the canyon. The things we do for trout.

KerrySwimminginLD.jpg
    "Fin."

I see what you did there.

And nice igneous rock in that pic...

Jefferson James
    "Fin."

I see what you did there.

And nice igneous rock in that pic...
    Isn't that rock amazing? At the risk of exposing the location of this fine stream (LOL) this is in pretty much the center of the San Gabriel mountain range, which is supposedly one of the most fractured and fucked-up chunks of rock on the planet. Apparently it used to be down where Tijuana is now. It is heartbreakingly gorgeous land; it gets under your skin. Mine, to the point where I moved to the next mountain range over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The mere mention of golf puts me to sleep. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Watching golf on TV is great! You watch, fall asleep, wake up and they still have around 3 holes to go. So you just about missed nothing.