Page 22 of 238 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I have found that keeping weight off is more difficult for me than taking weight off.I lost a considerable amount of weight over the last couple of years(the best thing i've done for myself,health wise) yet i see some weight creeping back on.The scale doesn't lie.The last thing i want is to go back to being the old fat me,been there, done that.I must reacquire the drive and motivation to say no to the wrong foods.I've put the kibosh on rice(i was a avid consumer of chicken over rice from a local halal cart).More brussells sprouts, broccoli and asparagus.Two long walks in the park,totaling around five miles on nice days;the gym a couple of days a week,mostly cardio, treadmill and stationary bike.

It's a struggle.I have a big appetite.Eating a bowl of broth with six croutons ain't gonna satisfy me.

Going to orthopedist tomorrow.I may have pulled or injured something in my shoulder and bicep doing weights at the gym recently.Fuck.
    What about probiotics? Are you eating yogurt with cultures every day and/or taking a probiotic? It's helped me.

Banned
    I have found that keeping weight off is more difficult for me than taking weight off.I lost a considerable amount of weight over the last couple of years(the best thing i've done for myself,health wise) yet i see some weight creeping back on.The scale doesn't lie.The last thing i want is to go back to being the old fat me,been there, done that.I must reacquire the drive and motivation to say no to the wrong foods.I've put the kibosh on rice(i was a avid consumer of chicken over rice from a local halal cart).More brussells sprouts, broccoli and asparagus.Two long walks in the park,totaling around five miles on nice days;the gym a couple of days a week,mostly cardio, treadmill and stationary bike.

It's a struggle.I have a big appetite.Eating a bowl of broth with six croutons ain't gonna satisfy me.

Going to orthopedist tomorrow.I may have pulled or injured something in my shoulder and bicep doing weights at the gym recently.Fuck.
    Probiotics can make a huge difference in your neurochemistry, not just your digestion.

Banned
    BTW, if you aren't taking 5000 iu of Vitamin D per day you are fucking yourself.

I don't drink beer or fruit juice.I shudder to think how much more i'd weigh if i did.I probably should see how i fare cutting down on fruit.I eat several pears and a banana or two every day.I figure fruit is good;maybe i'm overdoing it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I don't drink beer or fruit juice.I shudder to think how much more i'd weigh if i did.I probably should see how i fare cutting down on fruit.I eat several pears and a banana or two every day.I figure fruit is good;maybe i'm overdoing it.
    That is a lot of fruit. I'm not a nutritionist but I cut back on fruit (apples mainly) because of diabetes. All those carbs were making me flabby around the middle and spiking my glucose. The beer I drink is pisswater. I don't feel bloated on that cheap shit, and I get the buzz I want. I've heard that for diabetics and health conscious people it's best to drink scotch on the rocks. If I do that I'd have to stay home on weekends. Screw that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's my problem, I like Double IPA's and Porters too much.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    At least you get some nutrition from them, unlike the pisswater Vic is drinking. That stuff is true poison!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just coming off a couple days of some kinda stomach virus, so the next days are going to be pretty bland fare but at least I feel well enough to get back to exercising.

I drink a beer a night on Friday and Saturday. On rare occasions I can risk having two but I usually pay a price with a headache. I'm too old to put up with that. Because I have working taste buds I avoid yellow pisswater. It's all IPAs, stouts, and porters for this kid. The guy who grew up in the house behind ours is coming back home this weekend and bringing some Korean whiskey. We'll sample that and then switch over to The Balvenie 15. It could be a long night.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jefferson James
    Talking about vitamin D...I moved from sun to shade 18 months ago and sure enough a few months ago I started to feel like crap ie. irritable bowel syndrome. Turned out I had very low vitamin D levels. I've been on supplements for about 6 weeks now and while I'm not 100% back, the improvement to my digestive health has been astounding.

I gave up all carbonated beverages due to bloating, discomfort. As for booze it's only gin now. Gin, ice, water, lemon or lime. Zero caffeine (except for the 2.5% in decaf green tea).

Start my day with 16 oz. water with a tsp of magnesium and 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar followed by decaf green tea with ginger and lemon. After breakfast it's 6,000 units of vitamin D3, an Omeprazole, and a probiotic. No lactose, no added salt, no GMO or gluten products -- all gone from my diet. No processed foods if possible, I try to make everything myself short of the basics (I am not about to bake my own bread or cure my own tea).

On clear days I get about 20 minutes of direct sun on my deck so I'll spend 10-15 minutes with my top off, neighbors drooling, soaking in vitamin D. Supposedly there is something beneficial in converting sunlight to vitamin D via the skin rather than supplements, so I'm doing both.

"Whoa, easy on the Omeprazole, buddy."

I feel lucky to live in a time where there are lots of alternatives to dairy, wheat, etc. It's been fun playing with my new sets of ingredients. I ate like garbage the past year so it's time to clean up. I love cooking so I've got that on my side.

I'm feeling very matter-of-fact this morning. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    At least you get some nutrition from them, unlike the pisswater Vic is drinking. That stuff is true poison!
    but I supplement my pisswater with a little green stuff. I never get drunk or hungover (just rilly silly).

Seriously, I'd drink all those gourmet beers you all drink but I just get too full on them. I'm like a sponge when I drink anything heavy or dark.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Been drinking Kefir to keep digestion flowing after my ostomy. Just met with surgeon, reversal of ostomy will be scheduled for mid-May but first I need essentially a colonoscopy, should be interesting to "prep" via an ostomy pouch. Any experience out there? I guess I'll just stand in the shower for 24 hours....

Banned

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Just beware, period. Thanks for looking out for me, going gluten-free is an experiment, I'm not 100% convinced it's an issue in my case but I'm giving it a try. Same with non-GMO and of course smoking pot helps. I go thru chia seeds, kiwi, strawberries and berries in general like crazy and get tons of fiber so I've got that covered I hope. I am improving but I suspect it's simply the vitamin D deficiency being slowly restored rather than any diet. I really am having fun with the non-dairy stuff, almond milks, rice crackers, home-made sweet potato chips, roasted veggies, things I never really ate before.

The phrase "The Scientific American" seems like an oxymoron these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yup, beer is probably my #1 nemesis when it comes to weight, but damn do I love the stuff, and like you only drink craft beer. I have managed to stay pretty skinny over the years by a combination of exercise and portion control. I typically fast for 24 hours one day a week (usually Monday after the weekend) and normally only eat tow meals a day. I don’t tend to do a lot of snacking either. On the other hand, when I do eat, I eat pretty much whatever I want including fried stuff, sugar, whatever….. That method does not work for everyone, but has worked pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    have managed to stay pretty skinny over the years by a combination of exercise and portion control. I typically fast for 24 hours one day a week (usually Monday after the weekend) and normally only eat tow meals a day. I don’t tend to do a lot of snacking .
    That's a pretty good regimen. I don't have that type of discipline. What I do is eat frequently but small meals. For a snack I'll have a slice of ham and cheese. I like nuts (pistachios, almonds) but I can't just eat a handful, I usually eat the whole bag. Fasting is very healthy. I can't fast because of my glucose issues. I get hypoglycemic if I go too long without eating something.

Jesus, you know you old when the most interesting thread on PE is about being old.......

Damn, so much negativity about getting old. New rules. No more RIP threads. Only thread allowed is to list the people who are still alive! I propose a new thread where you brag about positive things happening in your life, like painless days, nights when you actually slept, kids visits without asking for money, erections, ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    ...I avoid yellow pisswater. It's all IPAs
    I avoid IPAs becaus I think they're piss-water!

...then switch over to The Balvenie 15. It could be a long night.
    Can I come over?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ...Jesus, you know you old when the most interesting thread on PE is about being old.......
    @Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    ...I propose a new thread where you brag about positive things happening in your life, like painless days, nights when you actually slept, kids visits without asking for money, erections, ....
    Post # 522
    Regards,

Duncan

Some day Duncan I'm gonna get to your neck of the woods and believe me, whisky will be consumer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Some day Duncan I'm gonna get to your neck of the woods and believe me, whisky will be consumer.
    You're on!

Come on down to ROSfest some time. I live just 45 minutes away.
    Regards,

Duncan

I swear, this friend asked me if I wanted to play Bingo on Thursday nights at the Elks Club. It's true. Kill me now.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I swear, this friend asked me if I wanted to play Bingo on Thursday nights at the Elks Club. It's true. Kill me now.....
    He hasn't asked you to join the Breakfast Club at the local McDonald's or Burger King yet, has he Vic?

Seriously, I'm at the bar with my buddy and his wife. They're in their 70s, and his wife starts yacking (in her thick, Bostonian accent), about Bingo on Thursday nights. .

Lately i've been getting emails from local cemeteries asking if i've made burial arrangements.Do these places know something i don't.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lately i've been getting emails from local cemeteries asking if i've made burial arrangements.Do these places know something i don't.
    Fuck those bastards!!

I'm thinking about joining AARP. I'm embarrassed to ask for the senior discount in restaurants.