Page 18 of 239 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

While we are at it, I thought your recent post over on the Fripp thread was excellent, Enid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I have been a long-time supplement skeptic. The exception is for Vitamin D and the studies that began to accumulate around 2004 that showed a strong connection between Vitamin D levels and the risk of getting cancer for people living in northern latitudes. But this summer a study showed that people with congestive heart failure with an ejection fraction on average of 26% went to a 34% after taking Vitamin D for a year along with their medications. That lifted them, as a group, from a more dangerous level of heart failure to a less dangerous level where normal is 50% to 70%.

From BBC News in April:

"It's quite a big deal, that's as big as you'd expect from other more expensive treatments that we use, it's a stunning effect.
    "It's as cheap as chips, has no side effects and a stunning improvement on people already on optimal medical therapy, it is the first time anyone has shown something like this in the last 15 years."
    I know that few people will accept a single data point as proof of the importance of Vitamin D. When it comes to colon cancer, there is nothing that has showed such a reduction, albeit with the pure form of D thru injection. The pure form is produced by the liver from either D3 supplements or sunshine acting on cholesterol within the skin. I lived with a Jewish/Irish girl in Dayton OH back in the 80s who decided at 32 to become a vegan and wear SPF to prevent anymore wrinkles. She had very dark hair and light olive skin. We split up in 85 and she moved to Seattle, a place with limited months of sunshine. She ran outside but never got sun. As a vegan she extremely limited her Vitamin D intake, since only meats such as Salmon have significant amounts. While milk contains D, it's only an amount that would prevent rickets. At age 47 she was diagnosed with colon cancer and died by age 51. One of the biggest myths is that veggies are better than meat for your colon. Colon cancer didn't occur in her family. She was amazed when I sent those articles about D to her in 2005. She had a degree in biochemistry, but had the sort of passion for the vegetarian diet like Steve Jobs. In reality, he Neanderthals were the result of an evolution/ environmental selection of Africans which migrated North. Nature selected light skin because VitamIn D was more easily absorbed. Eventually the Neanderthals mated with Homo Sapiens migrating North from African. Today all peoples whose genes didn't originate in SubSaharan Africa have a small percentage of Neanderthal genes, the ones which aided mankind's survival. Africans living in the North are handicapped by not being able to get D except by supplements. The medical business approach to D supplementation is effectively most negative to folks of color, but really negative to all. They need more sick people, on Statins and on diabetic treatments as a result of being on Statins.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post

I'm an asshole because I jabberbox with the keyboard bravery on P.E. ..but at a Prog concert I clam up and feel too shy to converse. I don't know wth that is but I've always been that way.
    Trust me, there are a lot of people on this board that are very vocal behind the keyboard, but when you meet them at a prog festival or gig they are introverted and shy. Not unusual at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The medical business approach to D supplementation is effectively most negative to folks of color, but really negative to all. They need more sick people, on Statins and on diabetic treatments as a result of being on Statins.
    Mmm……I think that is a bit of a generalization. Full disclosure that I work for the company that makes Lipitor (the largest selling statin in history), but I also have personal experience with it. I am a relatively skinny person who also works out regularly and am in good health but I also have hereditary high cholesterol. It started way back in my 20’s and by the time I got to my early 40’s my cholesterol rate was really skyrocketing out of control to dangerous levels. My doctor tried me on Lipitor and it literally knocked more than a hundred points off of my cholesterol level in a matter of weeks. Today I take a lower dose, but my cholesterol has remained in normal range ever since. It has been a bit of a miracle drug for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm……I think that is a bit of a generalization. Full disclosure that I work for the company that makes Lipitor (the largest selling statin in history), but I also have personal experience with it. I am a relatively skinny person who also works out regularly and am in good health but I also have hereditary high cholesterol. It started way back in my 20’s and by the time I got to my early 40’s my cholesterol rate was really skyrocketing out of control to dangerous levels. My doctor tried me on Lipitor and it literally knocked more than a hundred points off of my cholesterol level in a matter of weeks. Today I take a lower dose, but my cholesterol has remained in normal range ever since. It has been a bit of a miracle drug for me.
    This is wrong on many levels. Liptor is not a miracle drug at all apart from maybe a *very* small percentage of the population. The cholesterol paradigm that we grew up with has had major problems when you look at real levels versus heart attack risk. I'm curious what you think skyrocketing to dangerous levels are.

Anyway, the misguided government recommended Vitamin D of 400 IU has been linked to the dairy industry for 50 years. It is obsolete.

I have a hunch that this whole NR thing is the beginning of a complete rethinking of health and medicine but of course just one, there are others as well.

This is what David Sinclair told The New Republic in 2013 with respect to this paradigm shift:"We know the science is real; the problem now is to push it over the goal line. If they don’t end up as drugs in our lifetime, it's not the fault of scientists, and more of a business decision."

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    While we are at it, I thought your recent post over on the Fripp thread was excellent, Enid.
    Thank you

Trust me, there are a lot of people on this board that are very vocal behind the keyboard, but when you meet them at a prog festival or gig they are introverted and shy. Not unusual at all.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I did not realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    This is wrong on many levels. Liptor is not a miracle drug at all apart from maybe a *very* small percentage of the population. The cholesterol paradigm that we grew up with has had major problems when you look at real levels versus heart attack risk. I'm curious what you think skyrocketing to dangerous levels are.

ion[/U]."
    I respectfully disagree with you. The science behind Statin drugs is pretty damn solid. Yes, they don’t work for everyone and yes, they can have side effects, but they are proven to work for many people. In my personal case I started having total cholesterol levels over 200 in my mid 20’s. By the time I hit 40 I was well above 300. I do not remember the exact number that I eventually hit, but I came close to 400. Within weeks of starting Lipitor I was back around the 200 level again, and today I am typically within what is considered good level of under 170. All I can say is that it has worked for me.

All I can say is that it has worked for me.
    And for me. I'm on a low dose of simvistatin and it's kept my cholesterol down to below 150 from an original 250. Once, before taking the statin, I lost over 40 pounds and my cholesterol levels didn't move an inch, so the statin has made a big difference.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Besides atorvastatin and the blood pressure meds I take, I also take Niacin. I love that hot, flushed effect. Been taking it off and on for years.

Recently tried Melatonin. Anyone else taking it? Not sure what I think about it yet.

Melatonin is normally created in your brain and used there.
    What happens to melatonin in your stomach, guts, will any of it reach your brain?

Count yet another "Yay" for Lipitor (Atorvastatin).

There's a whole other discussion to be had about what it can do to immuno-suppression, but I too had scary cholesterol levels until I began taking Lipitor 4 years ago. So far no progression to pneumonia from a cold (the most common manifestation that your immune system isn't working as it should).

My late partner Kay's cause of death, otoh, is listed on the death cert. as "Complications from pneumonia". She had pneumonia the last 4 winters of her life, and ultimately all the years she was on Medrol (another corticosteroid) for her COPD & emphysema is what caused her weakening over the last years. Some of you on this forum saw that firsthand.

My point is that this is an issue that has multiple answers (as in a different answer for every f'ng patient). Time to put the sweeping generalization broom away.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Melatonin is normally created in your brain and used there.
    What happens to melatonin in your stomach, guts, will any of it reach your brain?
    Yes, on it for about 11 years now. Mostly because it might help avoid migraines. Naturally, most people take it as a sleep aid.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Count yet another "Yay" for Lipitor (Atorvastatin).

My point is that this is an issue that has multiple answers (as in a different answer for every f'ng patient). Time to put the sweeping generalization broom away.
    Just like your typical bunch of old farts topic of conversation, have bowel movements been discussed yet?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Just like your typical bunch of old farts topic of conversation, have bowel movements been discussed yet?
    No.
    But now you have bought it up…

DtB

I take melatonin every night, have done it for years. I have ADHD and I can be bone-tired but my brain does not shut down. Melatonin usually does the trick.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    No.
    But now you have bought it up…

DtB
    That should read 'brought' it up..
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Some of you on this forum saw that firsthand.

Kay was a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post

...Recently tried Melatonin. Anyone else taking it? Not sure what I think about it yet.

'Scuze my confusion - but besides putting me to sleep occasionally, what is Melatonin supposed to do?
    Regards,

Duncan

Call me corrected.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Call me corrected.

DtB
    OK...corrected
    Dave Sr.

See? I told you we would get (some) results within a few weeks. I just saw this press release from Elysium was posted yesterday. Unfortunately, it could be several months before they release details beyond the below:

Elysium Announces Topline Clinical Trial Results

Elysium also announced today that its first human clinical trial designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of its first product, BASIS™, met its primary and secondary endpoints. The study, which was placebo-controlled, randomized, and double-blinded, evaluated the safety and efficacy of BASIS™ [nicotinamide riboside (NR) and pterostilbene] in 120 healthy participants ages 60-80 over an eight-week period. Participants received either the recommended dose (250 mg NR and 50 mg pterostilbene), double the recommended dose or a placebo daily for the eight-week trial.

The study found that participants experienced no serious adverse events and confirmed that BASIS™ is safe for daily use as determined by standard safety measures. The study also showed that in participants taking the recommended dose of BASIS, ™ NAD+ levels increased from baseline in whole blood by an average of 40% at four weeks and maintained that increase for the duration of the trial. Participants taking double the recommended daily dose saw their NAD+ levels increase approximately 90% at four weeks, and a significantly higher level of NAD+ (compared to the recommended dose of BASIS™) was maintained for the duration of the trial. This first-in-humans study demonstrates clearly that BASIS™ can increase NAD+ levels in the blood safely and sustainably. Confirming that BASIS™ is an effective NAD+ precursor in humans is a vital first step to elucidating how BASIS™ supports human health.

“As we age, NAD+ levels in our cells decline. The trial results, which are the first of their kind, indicate that BASIS™ increases NAD+ levels in a sustained way. And since NAD+ is involved in hundreds of critical cellular processes, it is a vitally important component to optimizing our cellular health as we get older,” said Dr. Lenny Guarente, chief scientific officer and co-founder of Elysium who also serves as the director of the Glenn Laboratory for the Science of Aging at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “We plan to submit the full results of the trial to a peer-reviewed scientific journal.”

https://www.elysiumhealth.com/clinic...-press-release

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I take a Probiotic a couple times a week. I don't need 50 billion cultures though, I'm fine with 15-20 bil.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Kay was a gem.

'Scuze my confusion - but besides putting me to sleep occasionally, what is Melatonin supposed to do?
    I thought that's what it was supposed to do, help you go to sleep. I bought a bottle of 10mg tablets. I tried one. It put me to sleep but I was sluggish the next morning. I didn't like that grogginess. Then I broke one in half and it didn't seem to work as well. Whatever, it's not something I want to take every nighr.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought that's what it was supposed to do, help you go to sleep. I bought a bottle of 10mg tablets. I tried one. It put me to sleep but I was sluggish the next morning. I didn't like that grogginess. Then I broke one in half and it didn't seem to work as well. Whatever, it's not something I want to take every nighr.
    I do 2.5 to 5. 10 would make me groggy too.

I'll have to look this up but throwing it out there because I'm curious. About 20 years ago my heart was racing and I went to the ER where it was determined that I needed blood pressure medicine. I was playing in two bands and my daughter had just been born. My weight was approximately 250 and I am 5/11 so I looked sloppy. As years progressed raising three children and remaining in the music business I developed a mild case of Insomnia. I would run like a machine on 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night and not eat. My weight decreased to 165 and I bounce between 165 and 170 regularly. I'm still taking blood pressure medicine and my blood pressure is low. I get dizzy driving to gigs and I stop at a Wawa to shove something down my throat....a piece of bread or small roll keeps me going for hours. I can't eat meals ...it's an awful weight pressure in my stomach. Was the diagnosis of high blood pressure attributed to being over weight? Do I really need to take two blood pressure pills a day when clearly my calorie intake is way below a thousand?