Page 14 of 238 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Thanks Lou
    May be discharged tomorrow and head west
    Thanks for all the good wishes folks
    Freaked out by having to take care of the osteomy bag at home
    Any other members of the semicolon club here with advice or tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I find it 'interesting' what your new president will do (on all subjects).
    He said once that he would roll back Obamacare.
    I don't think he needs to do anything.

Obamacare is shrinking on its own, without any outside help.

My prediction is that it will not be removed, as threatened, but will remain in place as a small-ish set of rules that will help a small segment of the population.
    Regards,

Duncan

Good luck, Rick.

Our positive vibes are with you.
    Regards,

Duncan

I think Obamacare, while doomed needs to be forcibly and permanently shut down, because it represents the gates of Hell when it comes to free market principles. If they simply allow purchase of policies across state lines and allow you to cover exactly what you want instead of what the government says you have to cover. Young people can buy disaster coverage for bad stuff (like accidents), but they dont need coverage for shingles and crap that old people have to deal with. Single guys do not need coverage for pregnancy. In the short term, I hope to just buy a catastrophic coverage, and have a savings account specifically for covering Dr visits and drugs and stuff. Of course, if you have coverage at work, you're golden.

Forcing people to buy private insurance is not providing healthcare.

No doubt they will keep the provisions that make sense, like coverage for preexisting conditions, and traveling across state lines. The real problem with Obamacare is it did nothing to manage rising health care costs. Sure, it helped the poor by bringing them subsidies, but it did that by saying insurers could use premiums from the rest of the pool. The result is that those that didn't qualify for subsidies wound up paying the share that gave subsidies, and rates rose dramatically. And that penalty if you didn't have coverage thing was pure stupidity.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Forcing people to buy private insurance is not providing healthcare.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Freaked out by having to take care of the osteomy bag at home
    Any other members of the semicolon club here with advice or tips
    Hi Rick,

I had 18 inches of mine removed a couple years ago for various reasons. You stole my "semicolon" joke. I didn't have the osteomy bag, but I did have the catheter with the pee bag for a couple of weeks. The only advice I can give is do what the doctor says and rest, rest, rest. Now might be the time to catch up on all the movies you've been wanting to watch. Don't try to lift anything heavier than a napkin. Hey, you might get out of shoveling snow this winter. I did. She-who-must-be-obeyed wasn't happy about that. It was two winters ago when we were avalanched with all that snow.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The real problem with Obamacare is it did nothing to manage rising health care costs.
    The way in which it was supposed to manage rising health care costs was that by getting health care regularly to people who didn't have it, you deal with their health issues in the form of preventative care, not catastrophic care, and preventative care is much less expensive than catastrophic care. Of course, any cost savings to the system would only be seen over time, they wouldn't be instantaneous.

And that penalty if you didn't have coverage thing was pure stupidity.
    The penalty was intended to induce young people who otherwise wouldn't purchase health insurance to purchase it, thus offsetting the higher costs to the insurance companies of insuring the sick and those with expensive chronic or catastrophic conditions. It wasn't stupid at all. However, they made the penalty far too low and didn't enforce it, thus making the cost of Obamacare prohibitive for the Insurance companies and blowing up the system.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 11-10-2016 at 04:56 PM.

I turned 58 in September. I've been a warehouse Manager much of my adult life, so I up until the last year or so I have been fairly active. Three weeks ago I started having serious right elbow pain partly as a result of the fact that I haven't been able to keep a second packer and have had to take up the slack myself. The elbow issue has prevented me from working out and I've started gaining weight again.
    About a week ago I noticed my right thumb started getting numb and discovered I could not lift it (do a thumbs up). My Orthopedist has ordered and MRI and told me that either that tendon had snapped or I have nerve damage. X-rays also revealed that I have arthritis in the joint. There is a crunchiness when I move the thumb around with the other hand.

So the options will be surgery if the tendon is snapped, or visit a Neurologist if there is nerve damage. The likely treatment for nerve damage would be steroids. I'm grumpy enough without that.
    I have realized there are some exercises I can do with a brace on, so I will be working out again tonight. I am looking forward to being able to drink again since I have stopped using the anti-inflammatory pills. I think it has been 5 weeks since I've been able to enjoy a Mike's Hard peach lemonade.
    At least we finally hired another packer last week and I have been able to rest my hands.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hi Rick,

I had 18 inches of mine removed a couple years ago for various reasons. You stole my "semicolon" joke. I didn't have the osteomy bag, but I did have the catheter with the pee bag for a couple of weeks. The only advice I can give is do what the doctor says and rest, rest, rest. Now might be the time to catch up on all the movies you've been wanting to watch. Don't try to lift anything heavier than a napkin. Hey, you might get out of shoveling snow this winter. I did. She-who-must-be-obeyed wasn't happy about that. It was two winters ago when we were avalanched with all that snow.
    Thanks Lou
    Just have to get home first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you here are retired?

How many of you don;t think you can ever retire?

Just wondering.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I retired 11 years ago at 45. So far, so good.....BUT...I have never been married nor do I have offspring. I have a monthly pension in addition to investments......no inherited money......one mistake in budgeting was not setting aside money for big purchases like furnace renewal or roofing..........not really a problem yet......I'll start my Social Security at 62 in 6 years.......I do all my own motor vehicle maintenance......that's where the music purchases come from!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm jealous, well done sir,
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    If one follows the geezers to Florida, at least you have medical weed now:

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2016/...a-only-defeat/

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Medical MJ? Pffft. Come January, I'll be able to purchase it, grow it, & carry it for recreational use if I so please.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Medical MJ? Pffft. Come January, I'll be able to purchase it, grow it, & carry it for recreational use if I so please.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just wondering.
    I retired 11 months ago after working for 60 years...I intended to retire at 55
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Same here. Got an taste of what that's going to be like when I was in Colorado last month.

I plan to retire at a bit over 66, in a little more than 3 years. I need to be at my current job for 5 years to be 100% vested and that'll be in 3+ years. There are currently some lay-offs, so I hope I can stick it out.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Not yet.

Not me. I won't be there a day past age 60.

I'm 52 and reckon I need another 10 years before I can retire.
    Ian

In Denmark you get a statepension when you are somewhere between 65 and 67½ (depending on when you were born, and how long time you have lived here).
    Its not big - equals 2000 $ / month. If you have not saved up some money yourself, there can be som additional grants (for houserent, heating etc.)

You usually cant have a public job after reaching the pension age.

The rest of Scandinavia have a similar system.

In the UK our state pension benefits have been eroded over time and are almost worthless, so we are at the mercy of what we have managed to save privately. Divorce and a few wrong turns in business in the last decade has seriously eroded my capital base. I started a new business 2 years ago, but it has been a cash drain so far and I'm not convinced it will be what we had planned, so I am actively out looking for some portfolio work (I am a CFO by qualification and experience), to run alongside and stop me depleting my assets even further. I can't see retirement any time soon, and having a younger partner now, who has three teens (my own two are in/about to be in full time degree adult education now/soon) who have an absentee non-contributing loveless arse of a father, means I need to keep earning. It's a bloody treadmill, thankfully music keeps me sane!

I realise I'm getting old because I'm going to see doctors about problems that I never would have imagined I could show symptoms of just a couple of years ago.

Yesterday... I had a cystoscopy!

Came up negative but it was a bit of a traumatic experience. Brief but intense! Of course, I was the youngest person there by at least a decade. It's like I've just joined this new club that I could have waited a decade to join...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

At 58 I have nine years of service with the State. Hopefully, if I'm still healthy I'd like to retire in 7-8 years. I've recently inherited the house I've been living in for the past 12 years (plus some money). But my life is anything but hunky dory at the moment having to deal with two sick, old women. One's in the hospital with a bad heart, and it didn't help that she fell and broke the same arm she fractured a year and a half ago. She's the stubborn one (my aunt) who didn't want to live with her sister (my mom) at the assisted living facility. My aunt has paid a dear price for being stubborn. She's been in the hospital for more than a month now. She even demanded that I call a lawyer to make a will. So I called a lawyer a friend recommended and she came to the hospital and set everything up. Needless to say, I'm frazzled, but I have piece of mind. Having a house and a good job has kept me grounded.