Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson on New Yes Spinoff Band, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Chances

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Hey, he asked. At least I still bought two tickets and will attend. The rest is up to the band to entertain me.
    So you're going just to hear the pre Trevor stuff? If he is on the left side of the stage are you going to put a patch on your left eye so you don't have to see him? Or maybe "owner of a lonely heart" will be your bathroom break song. He's actually a very talented musician despite what many of the "Troopers" might think.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 09-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So you're going just to hear the pre Trevor stuff? If he is on the left side of the stage are you going to put a patch on your left eye so you don't have to see him? Or maybe "owner of a lonely heart" will be your bathroom break song.
    Well, if everyone in the audience is like you, I should have the bathroom all to myself during that one.

He's actually a very talented musician despite what many of the "Troopers" might think.
    Is that what we think? Maybe we're just not as good of dancers as you "Rabinettes".

there's a part of me that wish Yes had stayed broken up when St. Jon quit in 1979

that way all of their 'fans' could just STFU all these years later

every thread. every message board. every post.

always devolving into shitheadness. lol. I mean, it's like a Trump rally of inanity

it's hard to see that appreciators of music become SO political in what is a creative opinion argument that cannot objectively be "won"

You'd think that loving (any) Yes would unite the fanbase.

Then I got online I discovered that was merely a utopian fantasy, apparently.

It is tiring....true.

That said, I think the online fans that are vocal are a small percentage of the band's fans and the majority are blissfully oblivious about any online shit.

Rabin IS a very skilled and talented musician, as anyone whose heard anything he's done outside of his 3 Yes albums would know (and even those are not your standard dumbed down pop music). I don't even like those 3 Yes albums myself, but it's pretty obvious the guy is quite talented. Jacaranda gave me a whole different perspective on him as a rock guitarist, and his movie soundtracks are obviously not the work of a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You'd think that loving (any) Yes would unite the fanbase.

Then I got online I discovered that was merely a utopian fantasy, apparently.

It is tiring....true.

That said, I think the online fans that are vocal are a small percentage of the band's fans and the majority are blissfully oblivious about any online shit.

totally.

it's 2016. and almost over at that!

in 5 years they'll never get another chance to bicker like disgruntled Fantasy Football Dungeons and Dragons nerds

if you're any fan of the recordings of Yes, over the last 15 years you've basically had the chance to see what, 80% of their material performed by the musicians who spent time in the band. an ensemble approach and precedent that started in 1970

it's almost over folks

Trevor Rabin hardly needs defending, I was amazed to see just how many soundtracks for Hollywood movies he's done.

I do love 90125, it's a classic album, but the reason I struggle with BG and Talk is not down to him but what I perceive as a greater inconsistency- they aren't as balanced as 90125.

I can't say I'm so keen on what he did with the 70s Yes stuff...but at least he was and is willing to play it, unlike Howe with Rabin's material.

I would like to hear Mind Drive - the whole thing, not an excerpt, like Yes played in the middle of South Side of the Sky in '04.

Those are the ones hoping that they'll play All Good People and Roundabout. But seriously, I think a lot of concert goers are there for the hits they've heard on the radio and get bored by the deep cuts we love. Then there's Rush fans, who hope to hell they get something that only they know how to properly play air drums to.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So what tunes are you all hoping to hear the most?
    Talk as much as possible. Ok... no Walls please
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Trevor Rabin hardly needs defending, I was amazed to see just how many soundtracks for Hollywood movies he's done.
    I like Rabin but all his soundtrack stuff is B- or even C-quality
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

So what tunes are you all hoping to hear the most?
    I'm hoping that they get a little creative (but I'm not counting on it).

So....

The givens:

Awaken
    Starship Trooper
    Owner
    Rhythm of Love or Love Will Find a Way
    All Good People
    And You And I
    Roundabout

The (hopeful) surprises:

Something from Tormato (Future Times/Rejoice would be awesome)
    Homeworld
    Something from Magnification
    Sweet Dreams
    Perpetual Change
    Hearts
    Our Song
    Endless Dream
    Miracle of Life

I'd also love to hear that band do something from Wakeman's solo career and from Rabin's Jacaranda.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd also love to hear that band do something from Wakeman's solo career
    Me, too. I stated earlier in one of these threads that I would love to hear something off-the-wall, like "Guinevere." Not that I expect it. But, an acoustic version might be nice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hearts[/I].
    Great song. I would love to hear this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Me, too. I stated earlier in one of these threads that I would love to hear something off-the-wall, like "Guinevere." Not that I expect it. But, an acoustic version might be nice.
    Agreed. I get the idea that they're going to be a little adventurous with the setlist and arrangements.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I am leaning towards more adventurous with the arrangements than the set list.
    Maybe I'll be surprised.

I'm hoping that they get a little creative (but I'm not counting on it).

So....

The givens:

Awaken
    Starship Trooper
    Owner
    Rhythm of Love or Love Will Find a Way
    All Good People
    And You And I
    Roundabout
    I'm getting the suspicion they're going to reprise a lot of the Union tour. So maybe the above plus HOTS, YIND, Hold On and another 90125 track or two, maybe Changes?

I thought Jon was a being of love and light. Shame he talks like such a dick about Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    I thought Jon was a being of love and light. Shame he talks like such a dick about Steve.
    Normally Jon is receiving emanations from the godhead, but sometime the ether gets muddled. Kinda like when your satellite goes out during a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Yup, he's being a bit of a dick in most recent interviews. He seems to ignore the fact that Yes also included Chris, and still includes Alan even though they had to get Jay to do the recent tour. And of course part of Chris' last wishes were for the band to continue with Billy Sherwood taking his place which is now successfully happening.

For me, the current Yes is part of the Yes timeline and from a logical sequence of events, which Jon and Rick recently don't seem to respect or even acknowledge exists. Jon "sold his shares" in Yes in 2004, and although there were a couple of chances to come back since his willing departure from the group, he effectively stopped the band from doing anything from 2004 to 2007 because he wasn't really ready to come back (and he had legitimate reasons to cancel as his health wasn't fully back) The band nearly toured as "Howe/Squire/White" which is an approach that might have pleased more of the die-hard fans, but less likely to please tour promoters.

But, the band did finally continue with a different singer as "Yes". I don't think it was an easy decision for them to do this, and I'm sure they would have rather had Jon there if possible, but had waited for too long for him at that point.

I don't know if that's all 100 percent true, but it's at least maybe 80 percent true and certainly how I read the story over the last few years, so it's weird to now have Jon, and Rick and the promoters for the ARW tour ignoring what Yes have been up to.

Rabin hasn't really commented one way or another and I think he's probably got the best attitude out of the three of them in ARW at this point. He's "just happy to be there" so that's great, and I hope they all get on with that feeling.

I still love Jon and Rick, but in my opinion even if they don't like the albums, they should at least acknowledge what Howe and White (and not so long ago, Squire too) have been doing. They keep mentioning how important Squire was to them naturally enough, but they don't like what he did in his final years along with Howe and White. I think it's comparable to how they both acted and responded to the Drama album in 1980; Wakeman and Anderson both said "it wasn't a Yes album", even though they'd both just left the band, and therefore had "left the keys" with the remaining members. A very similar situation.

Anyway, I guess I pretty much ignore what they're saying and will likely very much enjoy what they do musically when I hear it. I also continue to follow Howe and White's band. I loved the Tales from Topographic/Drama tour they did this summer, and even though White wasn't there, I think they played with more energy with Jay Schellen so had no issue with it. Sherwood certainly continues the legacy of Squire's playing and Jon and Geoff were really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    Yup, he's being a bit of a dick in most recent interviews. He seems to ignore the fact that Yes also included Chris, and still includes Alan even though they had to get Jay to do the recent tour. And of course part of Chris' last wishes were for the band to continue with Billy Sherwood taking his place which is now successfully happening.

For me, the current Yes is part of the Yes timeline and from a logical sequence of events, which Jon and Rick recently don't seem to respect or even acknowledge exists. Jon "sold his shares" in Yes in 2004, and although there were a couple of chances to come back since his willing departure from the group, he effectively stopped the band from doing anything from 2004 to 2007 because he wasn't really ready to come back (and he had legitimate reasons to cancel as his health wasn't fully back) The band nearly toured as "Howe/Squire/White" which is an approach that might have pleased more of the die-hard fans, but less likely to please tour promoters.

But, the band did finally continue with a different singer as "Yes". I don't think it was an easy decision for them to do this, and I'm sure they would have rather had Jon there if possible, but had waited for too long for him at that point.

I don't know if that's all 100 percent true, but it's at least maybe 80 percent true and certainly how I read the story over the last few years, so it's weird to now have Jon, and Rick and the promoters for the ARW tour ignoring what Yes have been up to.

Rabin hasn't really commented one way or another and I think he's probably got the best attitude out of the three of them in ARW at this point. He's "just happy to be there" so that's great, and I hope they all get on with that feeling.

I still love Jon and Rick, but in my opinion even if they don't like the albums, they should at least acknowledge what Howe and White (and not so long ago, Squire too) have been doing. They keep mentioning how important Squire was to them naturally enough, but they don't like what he did in his final years along with Howe and White. I think it's comparable to how they both acted and responded to the Drama album in 1980; Wakeman and Anderson both said "it wasn't a Yes album", even though they'd both just left the band, and therefore had "left the keys" with the remaining members. A very similar situation.

Anyway, I guess I pretty much ignore what they're saying and will likely very much enjoy what they do musically when I hear it. I also continue to follow Howe and White's band. I loved the Tales from Topographic/Drama tour they did this summer, and even though White wasn't there, I think they played with more energy with Jay Schellen so had no issue with it. Sherwood certainly continues the legacy of Squire's playing and Jon and Geoff were really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    Yup, he's being a bit of a dick in most recent interviews. He seems to ignore the fact that Yes also included Chris, and still includes Alan even though they had to get Jay to do the recent tour.
    As it relates to controversies and taking sides where Yes is concerned... the fact that Rick Wakeman is consistently in Jon's camp gives Jon's side of things credibility in my eyes. I would trust Rick to pick the right (less pretentious) team. Add to that Jobson's experiences with the Squire/White faction etc. Maybe Jon's just telling it like it is.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    As it relates to controversies and taking sides where Yes is concerned... the fact that Rick Wakeman is consistently in Jon's camp gives Jon's side of things credibility in my eyes. I would trust Rick to pick the right (less pretentious) team. Add to that Jobson's experiences with the Squire/White faction etc. Maybe Jon's just telling it like it is.
    Well, you could be right. As I said, I accept the story as at least 80 percent correct (what happened in recent years) But, they did get rid of Wakeman's son very unceremoniously as well as Benoit David, so it's not like they're "all innocent" in the Yes camp.

I read the Jobson story too, and it sounds like a bad deal for sure. As Alan would say, "it dissipated yet again due to managerial problems"...

But, for Jon and Rick in interviews, it really doesn't hurt to be respectful. Why not say, "of course, Yes did continue with H/S/W" but we're doing this ARW thing and we like it" Enough said?

I also like what Downes said: "The more Yesses, the better"

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Normally Jon is receiving emanations from the godhead, but sometime the ether gets muddled. Kinda like when your satellite goes out during a storm.
    Inhaling all that ether could be the root of the problem....