Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do your children like/love progressive rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Don't be too harsh on me.It's a hard, cold and lonely thing to find out that there is more to prog than symph, yet so few have made the step beyond...as obvously evidenced by the complete lack of non-symph discussion on this and other progressive sites.It's only with great restraint i manage to resist making post after post, year after year pointing this out and mocking various aspects of the more popular mainstream bands in as subtly patronising a manner as possible.
    Gee, thanks for not being a dick.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Don't be too harsh on me.It's a hard, cold and lonely thing to find out that there is more to prog than symph, yet so few have made the step beyond...as obvously evidenced by the complete lack of non-symph discussion on this and other progressive sites.It's only with great restraint i manage to resist making post after post, year after year pointing this out and mocking various aspects of the more popular mainstream bands in as subtly patronising a manner as possible.
    No, I think you should rather stick around for when I'm actually writing about something which falls more into line with your own preference of approach to things - and then abstain with intense self-discipline from commenting positively on that. Or perhaps one should check in with you for sanctioning of accepted opinion first, not least when the topic is particularly sensitive in terms of your adherence to ideals of "objective quality". You can have my ex-wives' and my sons' telephone numbers to just as subtly check their positions to clear off ALL doubt as to how their tastes are a result of indoctrination, seeing how it's perfectly reasonable how *almost everyone* with their senses in order would quite naturally submit to those very same ideals of "objective quality" that you yourself so subtly champion.

Now what I find partiularly fascinating about your highly productive and insightful activity as razorsharp watchman, is that somehow you never seem to pop up when there's actually a subject which defies your incredibly deep analysis of those terribly contrarian approaches. Say, when there's an outline on progressive rock music from Latin America, Japan or Eastern Europe, or about neo-psychedelia or nú-jazz or folk-rock or whatever. For some inexplainable reason, your usual accusations of "elitism" and "extreme snobbery" (i.e. anyone who'd dare imply that the greatest-music-of-all-time hasn't already been decided on) aren't as explicitly visible there. Although I can perfectly see how too much interest outside of your own turf automatically calls for allegations of inherent elitism and snobbery, I'd still wish for you to follow heel more closely and comment much more on how this contrarian anti-bigsix plot at all times comes into fruitition. And then, when you're done, you could possibly write something conversely about music yourself rather than jumping and sobbing at how some folks relate "wrongly" to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've exposed my kids to virtually all types of music since the womb . . .

We have all attended Progday since 2007 together in some capacity. I've brought my son (now 18) to live shows around town since 2007 too (Porcupine Tree, Boris, AMT, Flaming Lips, Ghost, The Melvins, Tool, etc) - he loved them all. My daughter (now 12) likes more electronica/EDM stuff - - - but did come with me to see "Explosions in the Sky" at Moogfest ... and now has an interest in post-rock . . . so she'll tag along for the upcoming Russian Circles show next week. She and I will also check-out "Polyenso" too . . .

The kids take their own musical path - and that's alright with me . . . it's not really something you can force on them. That being said - they love getting out to most any good live music event: be it Progday, a club show, something folksy at the country Teahouse, jazz in the park . . .

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I've exposed my kids to virtually all types of music since the womb . . .

We have all attended Progday since 2007 together in some capacity. I've brought my son (now 18) to live shows around town since 2007 too (Porcupine Tree, Boris, AMT, Flaming Lips, Ghost, The Melvins, Tool, etc) - he loved them all. My daughter (now 12) likes more electronica/EDM stuff - - - but did come with me to see "Explosions in the Sky" at Moogfest ... and now has an interest in post-rock . . . so she'll tag along for the upcoming Russian Circles show next week. She and I will also check-out "Polyenso" too . . .

The kids take their own musical path - and that's alright with me . . . it's not really something you can force on them. That being said - they love getting out to most any good live music event: be it Progday, a club show, something folksy at the country Teahouse, jazz in the park . . .
    That's cool Josef. I think you're more eclectic with your kids. I took my youngest to see Gabriel in Montreal this summer and the Quebec prog festival a few years ago. He's really exploring my CD collection (that includes most genres) but he's mostly focused on symphonic. I think the key is taking them to all the live shows, like the lives ones you attend with them.

I was doing so well with my eldest daughter, she loved so much prog, used to come to gigs with me, and the she went to Uni,made a claim for her own style of music and Dad was left on the shelf She has a very receptive ear and knows what she likes, so all is good, we trade recommendations and can always chat about music. One day she will want to be seen out with me again!

My youngest has been immersed in the same world, but she's a pop kid through and through. She is the creative one of the two, so I would have expected her to have a more free-ranging interest, but if it is not in the top 40 she's not remotely interested.

My girlfriend has three teens, and I'm with them 50% of the time. The oldest boy loves music, gigs and festivals, he definitely has been influenced by me, but hasn't got any interest in anything proggy yet. The middle daughter is into classic Indie, which is good because I have all of the original Smiths 7" and 12" releases, which makes me super cool! The youngest boy doesn't have a musical bone in his body. He is the only person I know who has only that U2 album on his iPhone (the one they forced on all of us), and he actually really loves that, which kind of says everything really

My kids have been indoctrinated into my plain-vanilla prog tendencies, although I've been branching out thanks to what I've been learning about here @ PE over the past 4 years. My oldest daughter is now 25 and she started building her prog creds off seeing the Yes Masterworks tour w/Kansas opening, and most recently Steve Hackett this past spring. My youngest, son Sean is 13 and he's gotten his first taste seeing Australian Pink Floyd last year - he'll be going with me and my youngest daughter Gill, who turns 16 in a couple of weeks, to see Steven Wilson (his 1st time, her 2nd) in a few weeks. She received *her* baptism watching TMB perform The Lamb here a couple of years back, and then Asia. Gill has Crack the Sky as her drive-time ear-worm this week - Surf City, Ice, and Hold On in particular. My autistic 22-year old (second oldest) daughter, unfortunately, hasn't cottoned to it. Only concert I've ever taken her to was the Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas show.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Cool. Did you second oldest daughter enjoy the show?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My son's high school has an open mike night this Friday and he and a friend are going to recite poetry by Jim Morrisson until they get kicked offstage. Might not take too long!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My son's high school has an open mike night this Friday and he and a friend are going to recite poetry by Jim Morrisson until they get kicked offstage. Might not take too long!
    That's cool too!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Cool. Did you second oldest daughter enjoy the show?
    She did, particularly when BS threw in "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" into one of the medleys. Due to her disability, she's more responsive to music from Disney movies like Frozen. The closest to a prog connection for her is the Tarzan soundtrack. Don't tell Rufus!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    My autistic 22-year old (second oldest) daughter, unfortunately, hasn't cottoned to it. Only concert I've ever taken her to was the Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas show.
    That's really cool, though.

My 12-year-old son, who is also autistic, has pretty much no interest in music. He's usually in the backseat yelling for me and my daughter to "TURN IT DOWN" when we're jazzing-out in the front seat of the car. We're encouraging him to do chorus in school, so we'll see how that goes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's cool Josef. I think you're more eclectic with your kids. I took my youngest to see Gabriel in Montreal this summer and the Quebec prog festival a few years ago. He's really exploring my CD collection (that includes most genres) but he's mostly focused on symphonic. I think the key is taking them to all the live shows, like the lives ones you attend with them.
    My own Dad was pretty much the same way: he took me to see Johnny Cash when I was 6 years old at this tiny road-house in WV . . . then many times up to Montreal for jazz shows (Buddy Rich/Sinatra, Miles Davis, etc) - big band & swing were before my time.

My daughter has really taken a shine to my production studio and Ableton Live setup . . . she'll definitely be DJ'ing here soon: mixing in her own percussion loops and instrumental tracks into the material played live.

~jk

2 out of 3. A pretty good batting average.

My oldest son loves prog, and is a contributor here. He fell in love with Prog the first time I played Misplaced Childhood for him while making a dump run (no trash pick up where we live).I took him and a fried to several NearFest's and the first few RosFests. Sadly, life (mine) and school (his college) got in the way and we haven't made it back. We have gone to Marillion Weekend in Montreal. Hackett's Genesis Revisited, Moody Blues on the final tour with Ray Thomas, Asia when they reformed with Wetton, Palmer and Howe.

My younger son likes crap.

My youngest, my daughter is all over the page. Growing up, she loved Townshend's Slit Skirts, because to her young ears, she thought it was about a cat (Whiskers instead of Slit Skirts - you have to listen to it to get it), and her second favorite was Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light. As she got older, I would find CD's missing and find them in her room (there were a couple I had to purchase again before I realized she had them - she especially loved Tangent). As time went by, she slightly slid towards to the outer edges of prog. Wilco, Flaming Lips, et al. This July, at her wedding, she and I danced to Roxy Music's - "More than This"

Great story - Rangershockey7.

Banned
    Great thread, my 14-year old daughter likes Gentle Giant and a lot of stuff usually on the more melodic side, but like my 16-year old son they're mostly into J-pop now. I did sit them down to watch Present play "Jack the Ripper" and too my surprise they loved it! See? There's always hope - you have to find the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

My 4.5 year old daughter has been exposed to a somewhat wide variety of music…
    <edit>
    In October I am taking her to see Tears For Fears, being that I have that connection with the band.

The Tears For Fears show was last night in Phoenix. My kid loved it. She was singing along to every song and dancing in her seat. I made her a banner that she kept holding up to the crowd and to the stage. People were asking to take her picture all night. Such a great time! She lasted about 2/3 through the show, then curled up in her chair and slept through the final few songs. *I had headphone-style ear protectors on her so she could hear, but it was at a nice volume.

She woke for the after show and charmed the guys.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Tears For Fears show was last night in Phoenix. My kid loved it. She was singing along to every song and dancing in her seat. I made her a banner that she kept holding up to the crowd and to the stage. People were asking to take her picture all night. Such a great time! She lasted about 2/3 through the show, then curled up in her chair and slept through the final few songs. *I had headphone-style ear protectors on her so she could hear, but it was at a nice volume.

Wow, look at Curt Smith on the right here:

She is so adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    She is so adorable.
    Yep, really a cute kid, Gruno.

She is so adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yep, really a cute kid, Gruno.
    Thanks!

She's taking her autographed banner to school on Friday for show 'n tell. She's still flying high from the show.

Thanks!

She's taking her autographed banner to school on Friday for show 'n tell. She's still flying high from the show.
    Very cool Gruno! She'll take those memories into adulthood.

Thanks!

She's taking her autographed banner to school on Friday for show 'n tell.
    ...where all of her classmates will have no idea of who she's talking about.

...where all of her classmates will have no idea of who she's talking about.
    Right! But… her teachers get impressed!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Right! But… her teachers get impressed!
    Damn straight, she's a cute kid, seems like she had a great time.

Whenever anything comes up on my daughters playlist that's a bit weird her friends always say "this is one of your dad's isn't it?"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.