Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rick Wakeman: An appreciation thread.

Rick Wakeman: An appreciation thread.

There's not much from Rick Wakemans' work that I don't appreciate with the exception of his manic organ on much of the Strawbs' From the Witchwood album or some cheesy sounds on Tormato, but everything else from the self deprecating Mr. Wakeman is a marvel to me. What's your thoughts on Wakeman, and what are some of your favorite songs featuring this prog genius?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Banned
    This is my fav track by Mr Wakeman solo, although, lol, he screwed-up with the character Anne of Cleves as she was melacholic, not a "funky" personality (thanks to Viasat History channel) :

Though, my favourite of his solo albums - from the classic era - is No Earthly Connection,

...an underrated prog masterpiece.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 09-12-2016 at 10:04 AM.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Coincidentally was watching a concert from Swedish television '80 last night on YT. Great show, with a nice medley from "No Earthly Connection." I had picked up the remaster of that LP a couple of years back when it was released and need to revisit it.

I've always had a soft spot for Moraz and his short stint with Yes but when it comes down to it.. Yes has consistently been their best with Wakeman in the band.. Too many examples of his brilliance to mention..

Six Wives is great...
    The Prog Corner

I mentioned this in the most recent Wakeman thread that passed through here, and I'll say it again: Rick is a lovely piano player above all else, and his piano albums seem to get the least attention. Sea Airs is a particular favourite of mine. In more recent years he did the Anderson/Wakeman album (and live album) featuring more nice piano playing.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like his books almost more than his albums.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I like his tweets the most!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

He's still getting regular TV work in the UK, in fact he was only on last night as a commentator on a show called 'Embarrassing Celebrity moments from the 80's' or something similar.

Just pleased he's overcome his health problems & returning to live performances despite previous announcements of retirement.

My 2nd fave prog keyboard player, Emerson just edges it!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by melanieshiffman View Post
    I like his tweets the most!

What I appreciate about Wakeman is his sense of humor. - above all of his playing- which is almost always brilliant, its his little comments and observations that stick with me and make me just want to hang with. When he sees Howe blow up about a spotlight not being quite right, he snidely slips in the comment something like "What that man needs is a nice piece of meat..." - Something like that - I dont recall exactly what it was, but it was in reference to Steve's vegetarianism, and how it makes Steve crabby.

He just always seems to be looking for the lighter side of things... Maybe I've missed it, but he is clearly an incredible keyboardist, but also seems to be blessed with a charming personality. There may be evidence to the contrary, but I haven't encountered it.

The one thing I dont understand is how he can diss TFTO so badly, when it is just a masterpiece, Including his own contributions. I do need to get more of his solo albums. I have all the major ones, but as big a fan I am I should really have a complete set.

I have a DVD where he performs 6 wives at buckingham Palace. Are there many more live DVD's with his solo work?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    What I appreciate about Wakeman is his sense of humor. - above all of his playing- which is almost always brilliant, its his little comments and observations that stick with me and make me just want to hang with.
    I was going to say that. I know Wakeman is great on some classic Yes albums but didn't like him on Keys too much. But a a few years ago I saw a long profile of Yes with many interviews over the years and Wakeman really cracked me up! I suddenly saw the caped-one in new light.

[QUOTE=Svetonio;613490]This is my fav track by Mr Wakeman solo, although, lol, he screwed-up with the character Anne of Cleves as she was melacholic, not a "funky" personality (thanks to Viasat History channel) :

Anne of Cleves is not only among my favorite Wakey cuts, it is absolutely my FAVORITE Alan White cut. This thing rocks out like no other, from beginning to end. It's a pity XYZ didn't pan out. As great as Bonzo and JPJ was, Alan and Chris Squire might have lifted the band to an even higher level.....

That said, Wakeman and the Fragile/CTTE lineup is my classic lineup for the band...

Though, my favourite of his solo albums - from the classic era - is No Earthly Connection,

...an underrated prog masterpiece.
    Has this ever been released on CD? I've never seen it.

Thank Goodness he blew it on Anne of Cleaves... That song would suck as a Melancholy song...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    [QUOTE=BigSixFan;613788]
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post

Has this ever been released on CD? I've never seen it.
    Remastered and re-released a couple of years ago.

I just got the new King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table on vinyl and I think it's great. I'm looking forward to the ARW concert next month too. Rick Wakeman is my favorite keyboard player. He was second favorite before Emerson died.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Laura

For anyone who appreciates Rick's sense of humour and hasn't seen his speeches from the last two Prog awards ceremonies, seek them out. He's hilarious!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I need to hear the remaster, because like TFTO, No Earthly, was horribly mastered, and hopefully someone did a decent job of making it less horrible (I'm talking the sound, not the performances) I have the original version, and yikes! Someone had to be under the influence when they mastered that!

Please, some links to Wakemans sense of humor?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    For anyone who appreciates Rick's sense of humour and hasn't seen his speeches from the last two Prog awards ceremonies, seek them out. He's hilarious!
    First thing I do when I log on to Twitter is look out for his latest tweets. He is so funny sometimes he just makes my day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've been revisiting (and doing personal remasters of) Wakey's catalog. I've done his first 8 albums (incl. his s/t works)

I was surprised to find that an album I used to like a lot has not aged well... Rhapsodies should've been a single album as half of it is pretty weak

Six Wives is definitely his best solo album. For me, it's better than any Yes album actually (cant stand Anderson y'know) with 2nd place going to Criminal Record (minus The Breathalyser ) but White Rock is actually really strong too. I made a short mix of White Rock and I think it brought out the strengths of the album. I'll post a link to my mix later...
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-22-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Six Wives is definitely his best solo album. For me, it's better than any Yes album actually (cant stand Anderson y'know) with 2nd place going to Criminal Record (minus The Breathalyser ) but White Rock is actually really strong too. I made a short mix of White Rock and I think it brought out the strengths of the album. I'll post a link to my mix later...
    I like Criminal Record more. That thing is da bomb.

I also like 1984 a lot. Underrated.

Didn't know you hated Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I like Criminal Record more. That thing is da bomb.
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    THIS. Seriously, the first three tracks feature Squire and White sprinkling their magic into Wakeman's cool compositions. Then you have "Birdman of Alcatraz," a beautiful piano piece, and the majestic "Judas Iscariot."

I even like "The Breathalyser." I hated the "blues" bit at the end until I found out it was Bill Oddie singing… and because a friend of mine was into 'The Goodies," it kind of has meaning for me now.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The finest piano piece Wakeman ever played on was for Cat Stevens classic "Morning has Broken".
    This would have been a great YES song had Jon sang it. Would have been a beautiful ending to "Close to the Edge".

Loved his work during the Tony Visconti sessions. I believe it was "Life On Mars" that stunned me with its melodicy. And of course with Strawbs. Although not a Strawbs fan. Fragile, Close To The Edge, and Going For The One. Loved Six Wives and White Rock.

I have Six Wives,....the Rick Wakeman album.