Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fake Marillion Bandcamp Account!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Uhh, because he didn't know it was fraudulent?

Apparently it's down now, and Marillion has got an OFFICIAL Bandcamp page.
    https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/

Yeah, and they have some Front Row Club releases up there that I don't have yet! I know they've had them available from their own shop for a while now but only as MP3. Now if they get them all up on Bandcamp, well... I'm going to be spending some money.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post

Yeah, and they have some Front Row Club releases up there that I don't have yet! I know they've had them available from their own shop for a while now but only as MP3. Now if they get them all up on Bandcamp, well... I'm going to be spending some money.
    With the exception of FRC-15 (Curtain Call), the first twenty releases are ready to go, the fake page (now removed) forced our hand somewhat, so we just wanted to get something official up there to make our presence felt, hence the first five being released now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kennedy View Post
    With the exception of FRC-15 (Curtain Call), the first twenty releases are ready to go, the fake page (now removed) forced our hand somewhat, so we just wanted to get something official up there to make our presence felt, hence the first five being released now.
    I bought the first 3 so I'll try to pace myself. I have FRC-29 and up on CD and a few earlier ones so at least I'll be able to fill those in now. This will give me some "new" Marillion to listen to while I wait for FEAR to arrive. Thanks!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kennedy View Post
    Good idea, Mark!

I received a refund and an apology from Bandcamp. Balance is restored! Well, it will be when my deluxe editions arrive.

Cue the weeks-long complaining about preorders not yet received. That'll be the next hurdle for you, Mark! I always seem to end up waiting a long time, but after several preorder releases I'm fairly immune to it now (the Marbles and Somewhere Else waits were outrageous though) - at least I have New Kings to listen to! And I always try to spend some more time with the previous album while waiting...

Sadly, this is not the only instance of someone making money off of other bands' work on Bandcamp. The Mellow Records Bandcamp account, which does have legit label releases available, also has bootlegs by such artists as Peter Gabriel, Kansas, Camel, David Gilmour, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Kate Bush (and many others) available for purchase.

According to Bandcamp's policy on copyright infringement, you need to be someone associated with the band to have the releases removed from the site (hence, Lucy or someone else in the Marillion camp was able to get the FEAR bootleg removed).

He does have a bootleg of a Yes Drama tour show, so if Geoff Downes is still around, he'll be able to get it taken down.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Sadly, this is not the only instance of someone making money off of other bands' work on Bandcamp. The Mellow Records Bandcamp account, which does have legit label releases available, also has bootlegs by such artists as Peter Gabriel, Kansas, Camel, David Gilmour, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Kate Bush (and many others) available for purchase.

According to Bandcamp's policy on copyright infringement, you need to be someone associated with the band to have the releases removed from the site (hence, Lucy or someone else in the Marillion camp was able to get the FEAR bootleg removed).

He does have a bootleg of a Yes Drama tour show, so if Geoff Downes is still around, he'll be able to get it taken down.
    Yeah, I forgot about that - I thought it was really bizarre that Mellow had bootlegs up there. I'll bet if someone had a bootleg of Finisterre on there Dr. Moroni would pounce on them in a heartbeat! They have some KC boots - Fripp should tear them a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sounds like Marillion needs to talk to their solicitor about going after Bandcamp and the individual account holder. Both are accountable.
    They should ask the mods here what IP address used the account mogilev to post its only message.

Europe or elsewhere? If you're outside Europe, it's still cheaper to go straight to Racket.

Fake Marillion Bandcamp Account sounds like a great name for a band or an album, by the way!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Europe or elsewhere? If you're outside Europe, it's still cheaper to go straight to Racket.
    Except that they only have MP3 downloads available and not FLAC.

Except that they only have MP3 downloads available and not FLAC.
    Good point--hadn't even thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    They should ask the mods here what IP address used the account mogilev to post its only message.
    Good point, actually - it's mogilevs though - but he did join in 2012. That's an awfully long time to go though without posting at all...

I would imagine though that Bandcamp and Paypal together ought to be able to root out this person, if the will is there. I really hope we'll hear some follow up on this, but I fear (ha-ha) we won't.

Good point, actually - it's mogilevs though - but he did join in 2012. That's an awfully long time to go though without posting at all...
    Well, they have been working on the album since around then, so maybe he was playing a long game.

Yeah, I had been waiting wordlessly for almost 4 years (actually more, counting the older version of the forum) just to post (only here) one link I found browsing bandcamp.

Just curious, what stopped you from checking my profile?

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    Yeah, I had been waiting wordlessly for almost 4 years (actually more, counting the older version of the forum) just to post (only here) one link I found browsing bandcamp.

Just curious, what stopped you from checking my profile?
    I think I did look at your profile. Maybe not though - the profiles on this site give very little info. Maybe I just noticed your Join Date.

It wasn't me who suggested you had done anything. But regardless of the fake Marillion site on Bandcamp, I AM curious as to why that link is the only thing you've ever posted here on this incarnation of PE. Unless you're saying you've been posting here under a different name?

But regardless of the fake Marillion site on Bandcamp, I AM curious as to why that link is the only thing you've ever posted here on this incarnation of PE.
    That's why I asked - in profile one usually can see all person's posts. Even now, just clicking on one's nickname on the left and choosing 'view forum posts'.

Quote Originally Posted by mogilevs View Post
    That's why I asked - in profile one usually can see all person's posts. Even now, just clicking on one's nickname on the left and choosing 'view forum posts'.
    I did, and it only shows three posts from you.

I did, and it only shows three posts from you.
    I think you just see recent posts on the profile page - Click name and View Forum Posts - there are over 100 posts - going back years to 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I think you just see recent posts on the profile page - Click name and View Forum Posts - there are over 100 posts - going back years to 2012.
    I'll take your word for it (as I'm on the mobile app). Ok, he's no longer a suspect!

I'll take your word for it (as I'm on the mobile app). Ok, he's no longer a suspect!
    He's a hero! Without him posting that and you seeing it and noticing it was a fake and notifying Marillion the word might not have got to them for some time later.

A "Fake Marillion" is a contradiction in terms. It's like using a double negative in a sentence.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    He's a hero! Without him posting that and you seeing it and noticing it was a fake and notifying Marillion the word might not have got to them for some time later.
    My god, you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    A "Fake Marillion" is a contradiction in terms. It's like using a double negative in a sentence.
    Ha-ha! That reminds me very little of something Oscar Wilde once said.

Unfortunately this story had its continuation: yesterday I noticed Opeth's Sorceress at bandcamp and the page again had no links to band's sites and no other albums. I wrote to the band and today it was taken down. Another fake account.

What I'd like to know is how these people set up PayPal accounts that they think won't get traced back to them. Maybe they don't get traced back, I don't know. I'd like to know the follow up.