Thread: The Best Whammy Bar System You've Never Heard Of

The Best Whammy Bar System You've Never Heard Of

I had to go see my guitar doctor the other day. About a year ago, he mentioned this tremolo bridge system (or wang bar, twang bar, whammy, vibrato or whatever you like to call it) called "The Point" and I brought it up to him. He said he just happened to have a guitar that he built with one on it at the shop. Naturally, I checked it out... and I was pretty much blown away! Not just because it works better than anything else of it's ilk that I've tried, but because nobody seems to be aware of it's existence! It's got a very smooth feel, but that's just icing on the cake; this thing has the best tuning stability I've ever seen from a tremolo system that doesn't use any clamps or rollers. The design is pretty radical compared with other systems of it's kind; not only has it solved friction and stability issues, but it it's meant to add sustain, rather than tamper with it like most whammy bars do. I've pretty much given up on using these things. Most of my guitars have one kind or another, but I don't trust any of them... to the point where I don't put the bars in the guitars anymore. This could change that! Go ahead and read about it, keeping in mind that seeing is believing (and I'm now a believer). Why has there been zero press about it? I even had trouble finding this link on Google: http://angelfire.com/pa/frontbros/thepoint.html

The link triggers both my anti-malware protection programs - so ?
    I have a steinberger tremolo - even chords keeps in tune when I use it...

What I want to know is why do they call it a tremolo system when in fact it is a vibrato bar. That annoys the shit out of me.
    Otherwise it looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    What I want to know is why do they call it a tremolo system when in fact it is a vibrato bar. That annoys the shit out of me.
    Otherwise it looks interesting.
    For the same reason Fender calls the tremolo system on their amps, "vibrato"? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The link triggers both my anti-malware protection programs - so ?
    I have a steinberger tremolo - even chords keeps in tune when I use it...
    Sorry that happened; I didn't experience any problems with the link.

Does your Steinberger have one of those Trans-Trem things?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebigdipper View Post
    For the same reason Fender calls the tremolo system on their amps, "vibrato"? :-)
    Oh, snap!

I guess whether you call it a vibrato or tremolo depends on how fast you shake that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sorry that happened; I didn't experience any problems with the link.

Does your Steinberger have one of those Trans-Trem things?
    Are there other links or pages to this ?

Yes !
    You can even tune the guitar 3 steps up & down as with a capo (up) in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Oh, snap!

I guess whether you call it a vibrato or tremolo depends on how fast you shake that thing.
    You probably know this already, but anyway...

Tremolo is a change in amplitude/volume.
    Vibrato is a change in pitch.

Fender just don't care!

Interesting. It doesn't look all that special, but obviously the difference is underneath. Actually, I like that it looks like a more typical trem, I hate all those trems with rollers and microtuners on them. I like the look of the classic trem. I only have trem on one guitar, my Strat, and I don't really use it that much, so it's not a big deal to me, but it's certainly intersting.

I have no idea why it's not more widely known. The site is pretty low budget, maybe he's keeping a low profile until his patent comes through?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I have no idea why it's not more widely known. The site is pretty low budget, maybe he's keeping a low profile until his patent comes through?
    I don't think that's it Bill, it's been around for a while and I'd bet it is patented. Some people just have no business sense and are clueless about marketing. And some brilliant artists, inventors, etc. just don't care about hitting the "big time." It has a lifetime guarantee; that's good enough for me!

It's not more widely known because their website appears to be broken...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Apparently Anglefire has a lot to do with dating and nude photos, as a webhosting site. They are building a site for themselves, off Anglefire, called "thepointtremolo.com" it seems (not finished construction yet), and I can't see anything having to do with their product yet (which seems determined to perpetuate Leo Fender's ignorance when it came to the terms "tremolo" and "vibrato").
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.