Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Moments from Dave Stewart?

So many songs listed, so few camples. Is this what Svetonio has driven us to?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

BITE THY TONGUE
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So many songs listed, so few camples. Is this what Svetonio has driven us to?
    I'm just humming The Bryden Two-Step (For Amphibians) quietly inside my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I'm just humming The Bryden Two-Step (For Amphibians) quietly inside my head.
    I was just singing "Phlakaton" to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Banned
    Dreams Wide Awake!

We could make a band ?

We could make a band ?
    "Do you know, it took us three weeks to learn that?"

"Do you know, it took us three weeks to learn that?"
    Wasnt it "record that" either way... funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

If you want to play anything with any level of comfort, I think you have to be familiar enough and rehearsed enough with the rhythms to internalize and feel the counting and not to actually be counting.
    If you do have to actually 'count it', it won't flow off the players like water, which is what this track does and why this track is so great.
    imo.
    This is what TRigaux insisted in rehearsals but this requires a level of commitment and mindset to dedicate enough energy and time that after a while it all becomes a part of a feel

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    This is what TRigaux insisted in rehearsals but this requires a level of commitment and mindset to dedicate enough energy and time that after a while it all becomes a part of a feel
    "Feel" is indeed the magic word.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

yes you could always see that the more classically trained musicians relied on the score and counting while others like Kerman would learn it by heart and then just "swim" with it
    Wyatt Vander Denis Cutler Bob Drake Zaboitzeff all seem to have this feel
    But I don't think reading music distract this ability Stewart Campbell Trigaux Zappa Bozzio and many more

yes you could always see that the more classically trained musicians relied on the score and counting while others like Kerman would learn it by heart and then just "swim" with it
    But I don't think reading music distract this ability Stewart Campbell Trigaux Zappa Bozzio and many more
    Agree 100%
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Reading or writing a music score is a communication tool.
    It can save time and provide accuracy.

But as we all know, plenty of musicians have done well or better whithout the ability.

Holdsworth was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Dreams Wide Awake!
    This one - opening section especially.

And "Lounging there trying" from Rotter. And the entire "Long Piece no. 3" from Polite. And that immortal entrance of his distorted tone over inimitably sly Canter-chords about halfway through "Germ Patrol" - when the rhythm falls back to metronome beat collapsing on the piano. That's one of my fave moments in all of rock music, and arguably the one which for me epitomizes the particular "Canterburian identity" play on harmony.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Reading or writing a music score is a communication tool.
    It can save time and provide accuracy.

But as we all know, plenty of musicians have done well or better whithout the ability.

Holdsworth was one of them.
    Absolutely. It's also an absolute necessity in some cases. There would be no Mahler symphonies (for example) without notating that amount of detail, and it would be virtually impossible to play it without being able to read.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    it would be virtually impossible to play it without being able to read.
    Much of Zappa's stuff, of course - as well as a lot of HCow's more intricate, lineary material (like "Amygdala", "Ruins", "Living in the Heart of the Beast" and "Erk Gah", or almost the entire Western Culture album). But often it has as much to do with the format (ensemble versus trio, for instance), in that the number of voicings makes for main factor in a chart. Bands like Orthrelm, Hella, Yowie and Ruins have created some painfully dense music, but all of those units have composing members who are neither writers nor readers.

Not to mention that melody line in "The Final Countdown". Liszt refused to perform it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Not to mention that melody line in "The Final Countdown". Liszt refused to perform it.
    We just have to be grateful he agreed to sing the chorus.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You mis understand me.

Reading is great, but if you want to do something that is rhythmically very complex, you read it to learn it but if you want it to sound like the flow of Hatfield, then you learn it by reading it, but you don't play it by reading it.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

The Yes and No interlude, this little solo at the beginning, is the first to come in mind, effortlessly.

Banned
    There are different levels of reading. I know first-hand, there are session musicians that are so fluent at reading that they can both refer to the score real time and have a feel. They are at a higher level of musicianship than I who have to learn a piece (more likely not reading the score) and work to play it fluently before I can truly develop a feel. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Reading is great, but if you want to do something that is rhythmically very complex, you read it to learn it but if you want it to sound like the flow of Hatfield, then you learn it by reading it, but you don't play it by reading it.
    Classical players trying to play jazz, by reading a score. There are numerous examples. It doesn't work.

Daniel Denis from Univers zero is not a 'reader/writer', yet, he scored 'Dense'.
    AFAIK he plays it on piano and the musicians learn their lines by listening and writing it down.

Steve Vai:
    "I'll tell you a really great Vinnie story. He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there."

"Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar."

"It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing."
    http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/Interv...umMagazine2003
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 09-08-2017 at 11:52 AM.

From the same interview concluding :
    What makes it all so proverbially "sick" is that it's never really about the math, it's about emoting.