Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: MIA - Cornonstipicum

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I spun it yesterday as well. I really like it, but doesn't quite make my top tier or enjoy it at quite the degree of Tom.

It would probably fall right about at the end of my top 10 which might look something like this (excluding modern day albums)

1. Crucis - Los Delerios Del Mariscal
    2. Crucis - s/t
    3. Espiritu - Crisalida
    4. Ave Rock - Espacios
    5. Arco Iris - Sudamérica o el Regreso a la Aurora
    6. Alas - s/t
    7. Jazz Band De Free - Ego
    8. Mia - Transparencias
    9. Aucan - Brotes del Alba
    10. Banana - Aun es Tiempo de Sonar

11. Mia - Cornonstipicum

(yeah, no Bubu there. I suck.)
    No El Reloj either, duuuuude!!!
    But on the whole, this could be +/- my list, though three of your choices (bolded) I haven't heard of... what are they like?

I would've stuck Horizonte's Señales sin Edad album in my top list as well. Highly recommended and the debut is rather good as well (enough to fit in the top 15

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=198626
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Easily on my top 20 Argentinian albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well crap...gave it a listen and it's kind of nice. Didn't see it at Laser's Edge or Wayside though...checked Amazon and it's nice but not $211 for a used copy nice!

Edit 2 (Edit Boogaloo): so apparently it isn't MIA or Mia...it's M.I.A. and adding those lovely little punctuation bits brought up all sorts of better options/prices out there
    Did you check Synphonic(Greg Walker)? Anyway, you will find it there under "MUSICOS INDEPENDIENTES ASOCIADOS (MIA) " And no I am not an affiliate of his but I just think he's a vendor more people should be aware of especially if you are looking for more obscure and collectible items(although his entire catalog pretty much runs the whole gamut of prog and prog related stuff).

I just can't get into it for some reason. Very symphonic and very proggy but it's just never clicked with me.
    Some bands from Argentina I enjoy:
    Invisible
    Arco Iris
    Honduras Libregrupo
    Spineta Jade
    And there are many more.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    No La Maquina either, ya deadbeat!
    Ha. I would have to revisit those. I had them rated quite low if I recall. I'll put it on the list.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But on the whole, this could be +/- my list, though three of your choices (bolded) I haven't heard of... what are they like?
    Aucan - For lack of a better description, somewhat folkier, pastoral softer side of band like PFM with some rockier moments as well.

Banana - Very solid symph album drawing on all sort of influences, and another that some might mistake actually coming from Italy if they didn't know any better. Nothing unique here, very in the style.

Jazz Band de Free - Free electric jazz-rock from the period. Very nice in that style. Closest familiar reference is Soft Machine or Miles Davis in parts, but also gets freer in parts it's primarily just a nice little lost gem for those who dig the period.

I'm with the majority of you guys - I like it, but it's not a favorite. I actually only came around to it recently after not hearing it for a long time. But there are definitely a number of other Argentinian albums that I'd stump for ahead of it. Like Spyros, I'd say it easily makes the top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    As for buying, there are 4 versions, none that common. The original comes in a nice thick jacket that opens up in the middle (like a flap back). There's a later LP press (1990 or so) that's without the gimmick cover.
    Probably not a different pressing rather than alternate cover, but I've encountered three: original with flap and orange label, non-gimmick cover with orange label, and the later black label. As you've mentioned previously, the black label pressing was likely intended for the Japanese market - I've sourced multiple copies of those (for all three releases) from Japan.

Love the Moog playing.

Has anyone heard the remastered version?

So I listened to Transparencias over dinner tonight. My wife is away on business, so I had nothing to do but listen. Yeesh, where do I begin?

The first major song (after the largely solo piano intro) is pretty cool, until they utterly blow it by going into Pomp and Circumstance. This just utterly kills the flow of what was a pretty rocking little track, though it was sort of "part, part, part" with no real coherence between sections (a problem this band seems to suffer from). The somewhat pastoral third track is pretty good, and is probably the most cohesive piece on the album. The other rocking track is marred by the ultimate kiss of death, the bass solo, in this case a mercifully short one as it isn't all that interesting, followed by an equally mercifully short drum solo. Again, any flow to the piece is destroyed by these somewhat ham-fisted interludes.

Then we have the 20 minute track. Starts OK, kind of pastoral, but then you have the female singer come in with her wordless melodies. Her intonation, or perhaps just her note choices, are often just horribly uncomfortable. I literally was wincing she's so out of tune at times. And even when she's in, singing really hard "LA LA LAs" is just really not a good sound. The track ends with an awful meandering guitar "solo" over an endlessly repeated Am - F type pattern (perhaps not that key, but that was the interval), with the singer singing her out of tune melodies at the same time! I'll give them this, I've never heard anything like it.

I have no idea what this album is still doing in my collection, I've let albums go that I like far more than this. To me, this album is a total mess.

Bill

This was my first taste of M.I.A. Now I have all three and I have to say...this is still my favorite! I really like the pastoral folkiness of Mágicos juegos del tiempo and Transparencias is...an album that also exists. But they never reached the heights of originality and creativity of this one. Definitely one of the best from the Southern Cone.

SS already beat me to the acronym of the band’s name (roughly, in English, Independent Musicians Associated). I understand that the parents of the Vitale siblings (Lito and Liliana) put together M.I.A. to show off the budding talent of their offspring. Apparently they were 15 and 13 when Transparencias was released. It actually shows on that one, but they improved over the course of three albums. Both are still legends in Argentine music to this day, and deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Banana: decent sympho-prog with Yes influence. Has grown on me, but in no way is it better than Cornonstípicum.

I’m sure I must have heard that Aucan album at some point, but I have no memory of it. Maybe I’m thinking of Aquelarre or some other band whose name starts with “A.” Jazz Band de Free? I think he’s just making stuff up, now.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    it's among the top 100 on Gnosis (around 80 I think). The high ranking on Gnosis was probably why I once bought it. I can usually trust the Gnosis rankings to fit my tastes, but not this time.
    heh... I did that years ago as well... I've now listened to the whole top 100 on Gnosis and there are 5 or so that are downright AWFUL as far as I'm concerned and some are just alright/pretty decent but no great shakes

nowadays, if I see something highly rated that I don't already have I look at the 2 or 3 Gnosis raters I trust and then I decide if I'll take the plunge. A 10 or less from a trusted rater means I need not bother seeking out the album.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Aucan - For lack of a better description, somewhat folkier, pastoral softer side of band like PFM with some rockier moments as well.

Banana - Very solid symph album drawing on all sort of influences, and another that some might mistake actually coming from Italy if they didn't know any better. Nothing unique here, very in the style.

Jazz Band de Free - Free electric jazz-rock from the period. Very nice in that style. Closest familiar reference is Soft Machine or Miles Davis in parts, but also gets freer in parts it's primarily just a nice little lost gem for those who dig the period.
    Thanks... will investigate all three

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    I'd call it overrated, as it's among the top 100 on Gnosis (around 80 I think). The high ranking on Gnosis was probably why I once bought it. I can usually trust the Gnosis rankings to fit my tastes, but not this time.
    yup, this is one case (I still gave it a 10) where I'm not in accordance. On top of it, if on PA and RYM, there aren't notable differences between their three albums, on Gnosis, this one edges the other two sensibly
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Jazz Band de Free? I think he’s just making stuff up, now.
    LOL. I have this faint recollection of posting this album in the jazz thread a few years ago. Anyway, if you dig this style it's a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm a real snob, because not only do I have the albums on CD, I have that nice set from a few years back that came in a sort of long digipak and included all their live material, or something.
    Have it too!

From Viajero Inmóvil records´site:
    http://www.viajeroinmovil.com/en/detail/851 (sold out!)

"This terrific release comes in the shape of a double CD, and it includes several unreleased gems recorded in the studio, as well as some done live in concert. The set also features certain tracks which until now, hadn't seen the light of day on CD. Not only this: included is the only known filmed footage to exist of the members of such a legendary bunch. This 'rescue' took many years of painstacking labours, and the celluloid material found from the different phases of the ensemble, reflects the varied musical options offered by this great independent musical association, during its various incarnations. Released in a special double digi-pack."

M.I.A. archivos.jpg

I´m also a "big" fan of Liliana and Lito Vitale music/carrers; have a bunch of their records :-)

Good call!.

And talking about Banana, "Aún es tiempo de soñar" is a good album: their first and last "prog" output!.

César "Banana" Pueyrredón is a great composer and vocalist/keys of the argentinean pop/rock scene.
    More info in english:
    http://www.cesarpueyrredon.com.ar/

Some music examples ... really enjoy his music: this is just pure "romantic-pop" stuff ... a good one IMO:

Toda una Noche contigo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRsGcCnMag

Ella está con lágrimas en los ojos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYorCphblo
    Last edited by TCC; 09-11-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post

I´m also a "big" fan of Liliana and Lito Vitale music/carrers; have a bunch of their records :-)
    which albums would you say are Lito's strongest? I have a couple but would like to explore further
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Lots of contrarian takes in here (IMO) so I'm going to be boring and say Bubu, Crucis, M.I.A. are the top 3 for prog.

If you like psych there's are a whole bunch of holy grail items from the early 70s I could never get into personally.

A lot of the other symph prog is nice enough but not top shelf. If I was going to give a shoutout to one track in particular, it would be the closing instrumental of Pablo "El Enterrador", called Paul's Inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    which albums would you say are Lito's strongest? I have a couple but would like to explore further
    Wow ... so much different-good music!

Everything from Lito is good!! (IMHO)

More info:
    Site (english version)

http://www.litovitale.com.ar/indexi.html
    Last edited by TCC; 09-17-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I think Cornonstipicum is very good without being great. It takes both the infantile classical prog style of Transparencias in a much matured guise, and the beautiful, often quirky mixture of folk, jazz and chorale of Magicos juegos del tiempo (a wonderfully playful and pretty album that is too often forgotten when talking about MIA) and rearranges both into a great, if at times a bit uncohesive symphonic rock album. I suppose that unpredictability is part of the charm. The whole just doesn't grow larger than the sum of interesting parts. I still prefer it to the Crucis albums.

Great album by a great band. The only MIA album I don't enjoy is the Conciertos live album. I don't own it as a separate album, but it can be "reconstructed" (minus one track) from the bonus tracks on the three studio albums and the Archivos box.

And those who dig this would probably also enjoy Jorge López-Ruiz' solo album, De prepo:

^ Jorge Lopez Ruiz
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

very very very nice one! I would easily recommend this to symph lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I listened to Transparencias over dinner tonight. My wife is away on business, so I had nothing to do but listen. Yeesh, where do I begin? To me, this album is a total mess.
    I agree. A mediocre and decidedly immature or even outright amateurish debut. Those moments of horrible intonation (and so obviously unwillingly at that) really renders the whole album almost unlistenable to my ears.

Cornonstipicum is my and large a near-masterwork compared to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM