Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Conversation I Have Had About A Dozen Times In The Last 3 Days With Work Colleagues..

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    One that really comes to mind, and which is probably what the "circus music" people are referring to, is "welcome back my friend" part of Karn Evil 9, since it's one of the two songs by ELP that are ever played on the radio (the other being the one you mentioned).
    It's not KE9 or any of the organ/Moog stuff but things like Barrelhouse Shakedown, Maple Leaf Rag, Honky Tonk Train Blues, Bitches Crystal, Jeremy Bender, The Sheriff that people say sounds like circus music. Anything with Emerson on piano, plus Nutrocker even though that's clavinet not piano.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lak611; 09-16-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    "From The Beginning" actually got more airplay than KE9.
    Not in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not in Cleveland.
    KE9 1st Impression Part 2 actually got airplay here in Cleveland during the NBA Finals.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    There's a part of me that doesn't want anyone else to like the music I like.
    ^ This is how I feel many times at work

Using examples of the likes of ELP, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd etc. might seem a bit weird to people today, unless you're talking to "old" people, lol.

Bands from 40 years ago probably won't cut it with the youngsters of today. And even using the term "prog" or "prog rock" can encapsulate a lot of styles, from normal sounding bands to the downright bizarre, offbeat musical styles.

I certainly wouldn't start explaining the genre to people using the weird sounding stuff. Even something like Marillion may be unheard of amongst today's generation. When was the last time they were in the charts?

Presumably bands like Radiohead or Muse would cover the modern era. That's perhaps a better starting point to try and describe the style. Then branch out from there, using words like "long songs", "unconventional structures", "mindless noodling", etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This looks pretty f-in' proggy!:

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    One that really comes to mind, and which is probably what the "circus music" people are referring to, is "welcome back my friend" part of Karn Evil 9, since it's one of the two songs by ELP that are ever played on the radio (the other being the one you mentioned).
    Yeah - what they probably really mean is "Freak Show" music!

<<There's a part of me that doesn't want anyone else to like the music I like.>>

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    ^ This is how I feel many times at work
    Maybe it's "anyone else who doesn't already like it?" I love hanging out with other prog fans, and I love meeting other people who like prog, and I introduced my sons to prog, but aside from them, the idea of getting someone else into prog just seems exhausting, and why bother? Not that I wouldn't enjoy having some fellow prog fans at work (I have at other jobs and it was fun), but I'm not gonna create them.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Dreamer View Post
    Bands from 40 years ago probably won't cut it with the youngsters of today.
    Presumably bands like Radiohead or Muse would cover the modern era...
    Say someone reading this is 55 and is really into 70s prog, would that be like a 55 year old in 1976 insisting his kid listen to 1930s music? I realize rock changed all of this in the 1950s, but interesting to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Say someone reading this is 55 and is really into 70s prog, would that be like a 55 year old in 1976 insisting his kid listen to 1930s music? I realize rock changed all of this in the 1950s, but interesting to think about.
    I'm mid-40s, so didn't really get into music until the 80s, with Rush and Marillion in this genre. Early Genesis is my only interest from earlier, and I didn't even get into that until relatively recently. I prefer to keep up with newer prog (not the contemporary chart stuff) than the ancient stuff, but that's just my taste. I find the early "classics" a bit dated.

Most people I know at work aren't really into music as a "hobby". Maybe one or two into rock/metal, and that's it.

Anyone else younger than me won't know bands from the 70s, or maybe even the 80s. It's chart music for them, that's it. Older people may recall some bands from their youth, but that was 40+ years ago and they probably don't remember much if they are no longer "into" music. So again, it's probably just current stuff they hear on the radio. In one ear, out the other ear.

Trying to explain my interest in "weird" music is going to be harder unless there's some contemporary mainstream bands to use for a comparison of that style. "Long songs" or "songs that don't have to conform to any conventional structure" is a sufficient description of prog for them. If they hear something, they might think it's nice, but with no interest in following anything up.

I've got a couple of friends really into rock, but again it's chart styled bands so only normal song structures. They think prog rock music is a bit strange for their tastes.

So usually, I tend not to bother trying with people. I know my musical taste is better than theirs, so that's what counts.
    Last edited by Serious Dreamer; 09-16-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Dreamer View Post
    I'm mid-40s, so didn't really get into music until the 80s, with Rush and Marillion in this genre. Early Genesis is my only interest from earlier, and I didn't even get into that until relatively recently.

Most people I know at work aren't really into music as a "hobby". Maybe one or two into rock/metal, and that's it.

Anyone else younger than me won't know bands from the 70s, or maybe even the 80s. It's chart music for them, that's it. Older people may recall some bands from their youth, but that was 40+ years ago and they probably don't remember much if they are no longer "into" music. So again, it's probably just current stuff they hear on the radio. In one ear, out the other ear.

Trying to explain my interest in "weird" music is going to be harder unless there's some contemporary mainstream bands to use for a comparison of that style. "Long songs" or "songs that don't have to conform to any conventional structure" is a sufficient description of prog for them. If they hear something, they might think it's nice, but with no interest in following anything up.

I've got a couple of friends really into rock, but again it's chart styled bands so only normal song structures. They think prog rock music is a bit strange for their tastes.

So usually, I tend not to bother trying with people. I know my musical taste is better than theirs, so that's what counts.
    Great reply

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm 47 but like all the 70s bands and like Rush up until Signals but not their later stuff. But I do like Riverside.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Exactly. I was born in 1961 and have very very little music from before that time. In fact I don't even have a ton of stuff from the 60's.

So this was kind of cool today, when I came in to work tonight. A 20 something girl who used to work for me (she is now on 1st shift), came up to me and says,

Her: “Do you ever watch Axis TV?”.

Me: “Yes, the show some really good concerts sometimes”

Her: I was watching the other day and they showed a concert from Umphrey’s McGee and I thought this is probably something Steve would like”.

Me: “Was it the Live From Red Rocks show?”

Her: “Yes, I thought they were really good”.

Two other younger colleagues happened to be standing there and we all got into a discussion about Umphrey’s McGee and the kind of music they do. I mentioned that they were one of my favorite bands and I had seen them several times and that they are a mix of jam band, progressive rock and other styles. Maybe there is hope yet……..

It's quite difficult to proselytize even about something like Jesus Christ, much less progressive rock music. I get way too exhausted too quickly.

This from a theologically Agnostic and culturally Jewish old man.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Good Shabbos Shlomo!

I can't imagine any younger people who are into music (even if in a not too hardcore way)not knowing who the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Doors, WHO, Floyd etc are. Then you just go on from there. There's probably more twenty somethings into classic rock than you might think. How many of them are into prog is anyone's guess. The younger folks tend not to show up in droves at the prog festivals(possibly due to financial restrictions) but they're definitely out there.

Quote Originally Posted by melanieshiffman View Post
    Good Shabbos Shlomo!

Thank you, my lovely friend! Et vous, aussi! (thank you HS French)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman