Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official ProgDay Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    You are so welcome, sexy! I am glad I finally got to know you better
    And yes, that was to you, Melanie!

It was awesome meeting you and it was great to be able to hang out with you this year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    That was impressive. I had brought it up in another thread here (though I had it backwards, saying I expected Mauro to solo with Alberto on HIS shoulders), and Alberto mentioned to me after the show that he had "read on a forum" that fans were expecting them to do that again (oops !). I wasn't serious with my comment, so I would have felt terrible if someone had gotten hurt. I'm relieved that Alberto is still in great shape and Mauro has a fairly slight build. Fantastic performance by them, all around.
    Alberto rides his bike every day to work and back in Bologna. He also rode it clear across Turkey, just cuz he wanted to. Before I dropped him and Porre off at the airport in Charlotte we went for a hike at King's Mountain State park, and he ran the trail while I huffed and puffed it. The man is in some serious shape

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rather good review from Raffaella

https://progmistress.com/2016/09/07/...e-a-hurricane/
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It's taken me a couple days to get back into the swing of things since returning from ProgDay this past Tuesday. I fought traffic jams around Washington, Baltimore, and Hartford. I think I'll be going back to doing most of my driving at night next year. This year's ProgDay, for me, has been the best in my 12 years of attending. All the bands were top-notch, my favorites being Jonathan Scales and Eye. The other bands did not disappoint, either. Up until Sunday, I'd never heard a note from Discipline. Sounds like I've been missing a lot. Thanks to Philsunset, who gave me several CDs by Matthew and Discipline, I'll be catching up. Also a big thank you to Philsunset and Shadow for the beer, to WHORG (and Funda) for the absinthe and hospitality, my bunk mate the Geezer, the Chicago pair Mark and Dale, the ProgDay team, and all my ProgDay friends new and veteran for the best one yet.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

If you missed my interview with Bent Knee from ProgDay, you can stream it here at your leisure.

My fanboyish musings on the ProgDay experience have been documented here.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My subjective ratings:

The only downside of the weekend was an increased chatter level during performances.
    I know it is just me, but within the front part of the field watching/listening to the performance is the thing.
    Comments between fellow attendees will always happen, and I get that. But extended loud conversations? I understand that not everyone likes every band. I wish people would take the reunions during performance farther back in the field.
    It seems to happen at every show, so it is not unique to Progday. Just had to get it off my chest.

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I had to wholeheartedly second this. It seems to get worse every year, and it's now to the point where people think nothing of having an extended conversation and SHOUTING at each other to be heard over the music, which everyone around them is trying to listen to.

I was sitting a little ways in front of the soundboard, and during one of the Saturday bands (I'm thinking it was Jonathan Scales, but I might be misremembering), some guy came up and loudly "talked shop" with the sound guy for the ENTIRE SET. And during Bent Knee I think I might have offended the people behind me because one guy just wouldn't shut up so I picked up my chairs and moved forward several feet to get away from him.

I'm seriously thinking of making a sign for next year to hang on the back of my lawn chair that just says "Would you kindly shut up while the band is playing? Thanks."
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 09-14-2016 at 03:18 PM. Reason: fix typo

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I'm late to the party on this thread, but I had to wholeheartedly second this. It seems to get worse every year, and it's now to the point where people think nothing of having an extended conversation and SHOUTING at each other to be heard over the music, which everyone around them is trying to listen to.

I was sitting a little ways in front of the soundboard, and during one of the Saturday bands (I'm thinking it was Jonathan Scales, but I might be misremembering), some guy came up and loudly "talked shop" with the sound guy for the ENTIRE SET. And during Bent Knee I think I might have offended the people behind me because one guy just wouldn't shut up so I picked up my chairs and moved forward several feet to get away from him.

I'm seriously thinking of making a sign for next year to hang on the back of my lawn chair that just says "Would you kindly shut up while the band is playing? Thanks."
    I actually didn't notice this, but it may be because of my location, or because my shelter had side panels. But you actually could hang a more polite sign on your chair next year - that would work for the people behind you.

I finally got around to putting up my annual "ProgDay scrapbook" page with photos, setlists, brief overly-opininated reviews of the bands and unnecessarily wordy travelogue:

http://eichler.byethost11.com/progda...ogDay2016.html

Better late than never, I guess.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually didn't notice this, but it may be because of my location, or because my shelter had side panels. But you actually could hang a more polite sign on your chair next year - that would work for the people behind you.
    Shared on Facebook

I finally got around to putting up my annual "ProgDay scrapbook" page with photos, setlists, brief overly-opininated reviews of the bands and unnecessarily wordy travelogue:

Sorry, this is the page I shared on Facebook.

I always look forward to your detailed review !!! Thanks so much . . .

Wow, another great review Bob. I really enjoyed reading it.

BTW, I forgot to mention - if anyone wants to hear my audience recordings from the weekend, send me a private message. I'll gladly share them.

I'd just post the link here, but there was some controversy last year over whether that promoted bootlegging (IMHO, I don't see how it's any different from all the YouTube links people post here).
    --

Great reading! I'm only up to Saturday morning - I'm going to spread it throughout the day. I was at the pre show too, so I enjoyed reading your observations. Overall I think I enjoyed Abacab a bit more than you did.

Jed, we should have joined you for the show that night... I still don't remember why we didn't make it...Henry and the boys wanted to go together.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    My fanboyish musings on the ProgDay experience have been documented here.
    Sharing on Twitter [emoji5]
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    If you missed my interview with Bent Knee from ProgDay, you can stream it here at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by melanieshiffman View Post
    Jed, we should have joined you for the show that night... I still don't remember why we didn't make it...Henry and the boys wanted to go together.

I think you were all going to the field to set up? Well, 8 bands, 10 bands - who's counting? Henry really wanted to go, and I'm thankful because if he hadn't I would have skipped it. He's become as big a Floyd fan as I am! We've seen a couple of other Floyd tribute bands together, and seen Waters do The Wall.

Yes, that's what it was. I couldn't remember!

Bob, I think it was on the torrent for Luz De Riada, you mentioned that you thought Ramses Luna may be the only musician to play ProgDay over the years in three different bands. Another one is Stan Whitaker, who has played ProgDay as a member of Tenn Jinn, Oblivion Sun and Happy The Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    Bob, I think it was on the torrent for Luz De Riada, you mentioned that you thought Ramses Luna may be the only musician to play ProgDay over the years in three different bands. Another one is Stan Whitaker, who has played ProgDay as a member of Tenn Jinn, Oblivion Sun and Happy The Man.
    You know, I was actually thinking of Stan Whitaker, and I remembered Oblivion Sun and Happy the Man but forgot he also played with Tenn Jinn.

There's got to be some guys from the early years who played with three bands. For some reason I'm thinking there's possibly someone between Cloud Nine/Ozone Quartet, Polydactyl, Volare and possibly French TV? Can't come up with a name though.

Shawn Persinger played with Boud Deun, French TV and as a solo act (or was that under the Prester John name?) That sorta counts.

Did any of the guys from Thinking Plague and Hamster Theatre ever play ProgDay with a third band?

Paul Sears played with the Muffins and with Clearlight (if I'm remembering right) - does he have a third claim?

Wait, I got one - Brian Preston of Smokin' Granny. He also played with Freehand and George Preston Herrett, but that only counts if you allow preshow performances.

Speaking of Ramses Luna, I got the idea this morning of setting up a playlist of the Gutman/King "Stick Drum Duo" tracks followed immediately by the same songs from the Pascal Gutman Trio CD. Interesting to hear how they changed and what Luna added to the mix.
    --

Paul Sears played with the Muffins and with Clearlight (if I'm remembering right) - does he have a third claim?
    Wasn't there a all star jam with Mike Keneally and Glenn Phillips with Paul drumming? would that count?