Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Bruford: What are your thoughts on his drumming?

alongside Lenny White, Billy Cobham, Simon Phillips, Pierre Moerlen, Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams and Steve Smith, Bill is one of my favorite Prog drummers
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A tiny bit of critizism (taste):
    - I wasnt happy with the simmons drums (allthough it worked ok on albums like Cloud around Mercury)
    The worst thing with his 'electronic' period for me was that awful snare drum sound...wholly inappropriate for someone who got such a recognisable sound out of an acoustic kit. His more percussive work on the electronic drums is more acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    It's funny everyone comments on his snare sound, as he has said when he first started that he had no clue how to tune his snare. That "bonk" sound he's famous for is actually considered a badly tuned snare, in drum circles, and he knows that.
    I remember on the YesYears video him commenting that he also was forced to use that sound because if he played a "normal" snare sound, he couldn't be heard over Squire because of the frequencies he was getting out his Rickenbacker.

The Simmons drums were his Synthaxe! Bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Quite why you never found him to be likeable is somewhat beyond me. He has always come across to me as an extremely intelligent and courteous man. Great drummer too. I only saw him live once, with ABWH, which was amazing.
    I caught him in a printed interview where he was dissing his former Yes compatriots after departing Yes after recording CTTE. I thought it was sour grapes and the his tone toward Squire and Anderson, and especially the music that he and Yes made together, has always stuck with me. Perhaps I'll give his bio a whirl and see if that changes my 40+ year old perception.

It sounds like an interesting read.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Well, I like him enough to have had the fortune of seeing him play in 4 bands, U.K., KC, ABWH, and Yes.

Not to belittle White, but it was nice to hear Schellen play homage to him within some of his drumming on the recent tour.

Has there ever been a better rhythm section in prog than Bruford/Squire?
    Bruford/Levin.

Love his work. One of the top distinctions of prog in general for me. I thought one of his solos that included electronic percussion was one of the best things he's done because it sounded like a complete piece of music and not a drum solo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Bruford/Levin.
    White/Clarke
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I caught him in a printed interview where he was dissing his former Yes compatriots after departing Yes after recording CTTE. I thought it was sour grapes and the his tone toward Squire and Anderson, and especially the music that he and Yes made together, has always stuck with me. Perhaps I'll give his bio a whirl and see if that changes my 40+ year old perception.

It sounds like an interesting read.
    It is, but I think the book gives a similar impression of how BB feels about that subject.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    White/Clarke

White/Clarke
    Vander/Top

Oh, that White.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It is, but I think the book gives a similar impression of how BB feels about that subject.
    Yeah, I didn't think he'd backtrack on his past Yes comments, but I'll still give his auto bio a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Vander/Top
    Allen (not white) / Ekpo
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    He stole the show with every band he was in.
    Even Gong and Genesis?

Yeah, I didn't think he'd backtrack on his past Yes comments, but I'll still give his auto bio a spin.
    And why exactly should he? Could his observations not have been valid ones?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The worst thing with his 'electronic' period for me was that awful snare drum sound...wholly inappropriate for someone who got such a recognisable sound out of an acoustic kit. His more percussive work on the electronic drums is more acceptable to me.
    The thing is, outside of ABWH, he used an acoustic snare (might be some of the Earthworks stuff, too--been a while since I've spun them). But if you listen to something like Absent Lovers or Cloud About Mercury, it's an acoustic kit augmented with electronics. He kept the acoustic snare in ABWH to roll on, but it's almost like he said, Well I'm playing stadiums again, better make a big sound.

I find his use of electronics outside of ABWH to be very tasteful, including '90s Crim. But just judging on the ABWH stuff, yeah I get the criticism.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I caught him in a printed interview where he was dissing his former Yes compatriots after departing Yes after recording CTTE. I thought it was sour grapes and the his tone toward Squire and Anderson, and especially the music that he and Yes made together, has always stuck with me.
    Yeah, but he tends to disparage his own work, so it could be just that. With Squire his main complaint was that he was always late.

He's probably the only drummer I can't play air drums to very easily because he's just so unpredictable. I think his jazz background has something to do with that.

alongside Lenny White, Billy Cobham, Simon Phillips, Pierre Moerlen, Dennis Chambers, Tony Williams and Steve Smith, Bill is one of my favorite Prog drummers
    They all sound like fusion drummers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    He's probably the only drummer I can't play air drums to very easily because he's just so unpredictable. I think his jazz background has something to do with that.
    Well said. He plays like a human who sometimes may make a mistake, but makes it into something completely fresh.
    His autobiography is a must and I'm still glad I bought both editions (the deluxe one is still a highlight in my "library").

My favorite drummer too. But there are two things that, for me, add another dimension to his great playing: the use of the cymbals and how effortless he plays the drums, even on his drum solos.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have always seen him more as the intelligent math guy. Making maximum effect with a minimum of input, he never aspired to be a Cobham.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Vander/Top
    <sig out of order>

I caught him in a printed interview where he was dissing his former Yes compatriots after departing Yes after recording CTTE. I thought it was sour grapes and the his tone toward Squire and Anderson,
    It just struck me as honesty. Why bother mincing words? And it's not like Yes never did anything that justified their being dissed.

For example, Bruford was always very honest that he did the ABWH and Union for the paycheck, and little else. He called ABWH "regressive" music, has never had a kind thing to say about any aspect of Union, and disapproves in general of going on tour to principally play decades-old music.

And as far as "sour grapes..." Sour towards what? Sour grapes is when things don't work out the way you want them to, and you lash out. Yes didn't leave Bruford, Bruford left Yes. What did he have to be sour about? I'd say things worked pretty good for Bruford. He left Yes when he wanted to and got the opportunity to play even more challenging music with KC. Then he formed his own bands and has done whatever he wanted since then.